2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I bought my 2014 Mazda 3 s GT 2 months ago and it currently has about 2200 miles on it. Few days ago, I noticed that my AC does not seem work anymore. I set the temp (driver and passenger) to the coldest setting and it's just warmish/cool air. On a hot day, I'm quite uncomfortable inside my car, and I have tinted windows with 85% heat rejection. This was not a problem about a month ago because I remember feeling nice and cold air coming out of the vents. Also, the passenger side vents are blowing slightly cooler air (not cold like before) than the driver side even though dual zone climate control is off.

When I press AC button, I can see the engine RPM rise a bit, and I know that's normal. I also hear a mild "hissing/gas being released type of sound" after pressing AC. I've heard that since day 1 and I assume that is normal as well.

Anyone else having/had this problem? I will be taking it to the dealer next week to check it out. Should be covered under warranty.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Definitely is not working if that's the case. I keep my ac set to 70 usually and the car is comfortable. If it was set to 60 for more than a few minutes it would be ice cold inside.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Definitely is not working if that's the case. I keep my ac set to 70 usually and the car is comfortable. If it was set to 60 for more than a few minutes it would be ice cold inside.
That sounds about right. I used to keep mine at 70 too. Now it's at 60 all the time but doesn't do justice. I really wonder what the problem is. The air does get cooler when AC is pressed, but not to where it should be. Maybe it's a bad temperature sensor or something.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maybe it's a bad temperature sensor or something.
I don't have the auto climate on my car, but i did on my old one. Could you have blocked one of the sensors? I don't know where they are on a mazda, but my old car had at least two - one for the air temp and another up by the dome light to detect solar load.

I think the good news is that the problem is minor - it could be a sensor, or even just one of the little automated flaps that mixes the air having gone bad. I, of course, have no clue how to fix these, but I'm sure it's not that big a deal :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have the auto climate on my car, but i did on my old one. Could you have blocked one of the sensors? I don't know where they are on a mazda, but my old car had at least two - one for the air temp and another up by the dome light to detect solar load.

I think the good news is that the problem is minor - it could be a sensor, or even just one of the little automated flaps that mixes the air having gone bad. I, of course, have no clue how to fix these, but I'm sure it's not that big a deal :D
Haha. I don't even know where the sensors are. I HOPE it is a minor problem. Was not expecting a problem this early in the cars life, but technology fails sometimes. I did read about the "automated flaps" and that could very well be one if not all of the problems. That would explain why the passenger side temp changes but not the driver. Let's see what the dealer has to say.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that a rock or something kicked up and hit your a/c condenser and you have a leak in the system. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd be willing to bet that a rock or something kicked up and hit your a/c condenser and you have a leak in the system. Take it to the dealer and have them fix it under warranty.
Very possible. It seemed to have happened after a long drive to the coastal area. I'll post the exact problem after I go to dealer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took it to the dealership today and it seems the diagnosis is inconclusive...No leak in the system, compressor is fine but still warmish-cool air on passenger and warm on driver. The mechanic said 2 errors with the "solar radiation sensor" are showing up. Not sure what that is exactly but that could be one of the problems. They have to call Mazda tech for it. Got a loaner car (VW Passat) until the M3 is fixed. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's got to be the sensor that adjusts things based on how much sun is shining in the cabin. Betcha that's the culprit!
I hope that is it too. Do you know how that sensor affects passenger vs. driver cooling? I can understand the cooling of the car in general, but is that sensor connected to individual climate control? In the back of my head I think the sensor plus the mechanical unit that distributes cool air for dual zone is broken. Haha, that's just my guess. My knowledge of an AC system is quite limited.

·
Registered
752 Posts
wait your mazda dealer gave you a VW loaner lol. i guess we know whats not selling lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my car back today! The A/C finally works again..very very well, blows 38F air. It turns out that there was indeed a leak in the system. The high-side schrader core was loose and leaking. They fixed that and recharged the system. I also don't hear that hissing sound when I turn on the A/C. :)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Got my car back today! The A/C finally works again..very very well, blows 38F air. It turns out that there was indeed a leak in the system. The high-side schrader core was loose and leaking. They fixed that and recharged the system. I also don't hear that hissing sound when I turn on the A/C. :)
Awesome! The AC is MUCH better when it works properly. Kind of freezes you to the seats if you leave it on too long. LOL

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Awesome! The AC is MUCH better when it works properly. Kind of freezes you to the seats if you leave it on too long. LOL
Haha. I agree, I can feel my fingers getting kinda numb if I hold it near the vents.

Thanks everyone on this forum! Glad to be around other Mazda 3 owners.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts