2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1201 - 1207 of 1207 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not have a solution, but to get a good/simple view on the folder structure, I would recommend to use the software WinSCP. Perhaps you do not have the "full view" or you use wrong linux commands? I am not a linux guy and for me WinSCP was helpful.
Thanks Tristan, heading back to the car to check it out with WinSCP.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I try, but I seldomly used it.
  1. Evaluate the IP address of the MZD: a) Open a WiFi Hotspot with your smartphone. b) Connect the MZD to it. c) Connect the laptop/notebook to it. c) Check the WiFi Hotspot settings at the smartphone for the MZD IP address.
  2. Open WinSCP at the laptop/notebook and connect via SFTP Port 22 to the IP address of the MZD using user/password: cmu/jci (or user/jci).
  3. On the right side of WinSCP should you see the folder structure of the MZD.
But be aware that some files can not be deleted/overwritten without a special permisson. There are some info about that in this forum, which can explain that better than me. I did these permission changes beforehand via Putty. But I recommend to search for these codes/strings and learn more about them, if you can not do what you want via WinSCP.
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/Watchdog\ Disable/value
mount -o rw,remount /
chmod 755 /examplefolder/examplefile
...after replacing a file I did again:
I am not sure, if this is correct, but for me it worked out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I try, but I seldomly used it.
  1. Evaluate the IP address of the MZD: a) Open a WiFi Hotspot with your smartphone. b) Connect the MZD to it. c) Connect the laptop/notebook to it. c) Check the WiFi Hotspot settings at the smartphone for the MZD IP address.
  2. Open WinSCP at the laptop/notebook and connect via SFTP Port 22 to the IP address of the MZD using user/password: cmu/jci (or user/jci).
  3. On the right side of WinSCP should you see the folder structure of the MZD.
But be aware that some files can not be deleted/overwritten without a special permisson. There are some info about that in this forum, which can explain that better than me. I did these permission changes beforehand via Putty. But I recommend to search for these codes/strings and learn more about them, if you can not do what you want via WinSCP.
Code:
echo 1 > /sys/class/gpio/Watchdog\ Disable/value
mount -o rw,remount /
...after replacing a file I did again:
I am not sure, if this is correct, but for me it worked out.

Thanks again.
I must say this truly is frustrating as not even the WinSCP seems to work. I got the IP but when attempting to establish connection, it times out. I attempted to ping the IP from my laptop as well just to see if there is some kind of communication but the ping times out as well.

Searching through the directories via Linux I discovered that the is /bin and /dev on the same location as /mnt.
As the screenshot before indicated I only have up to /mnt/data_persist
Looking further at the commands that we are copying, in simplistic terms we are copying all the information as it is on the flash drive to the CMU (recursive copying) and then making the autorun file executable.

That being said, is it safe to say that these files can be placed in any directory and accomplish the same task to do they need to be in the mnt/data_persist/dev/bin location?
OR
Would creating a new directory and copying these file across work as well?

Even in the screenshot from https://mazdatweaks.com/serial/ , after pasting ls -l /mnt/data_persist/dev/bin which essentially just lists everything in the location, only the files from the flash are in there which means that mnt/data_persist/dev/bin was an empty location.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am noticing that others are having this issue as well in the forum.
Seeing that the /dev/bin is missing from the mnt/data_persist/ it would be logical to create these directories. However, in logining in as user/jci , that account does not have root access and therefore you cannot modify the structure.
As stated in the instructions, once you execute the scripts you will then be able to login as root with username: cmu pass: jci
If we can get access to the cmu account, then the directories can be created as specified.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So Guys, I was able to get through successfully today. @Trezdog44 gave me some great help and explained some things that cleared up my questions.

1. Yes, the information that we put on the flash drive needs to be at that particular location (/mnt/data_persist/dev/bin) due to the code that is being used to run the mods.

2. As I suspected, the user/jci account did not retain rw access although all the relevant directories were in proper permissions (777). I could not even cd into directories, it would state 'can't cd into ...'

What worked for me was following the instructions of ID7 V2 with the ID7 V1 files.
  • Reinstall 59.00.502 but established the serial connection before doing this.
  • Follow directions of serial connection ID V1 from https://mazdatweaks.com/serial/
NOTE: you do not need to login in the terminal if you are doing this.

• Copy the firmware update files to flash together with the XX folder
  • Install .502 as normal firmware update
  • After the installation is completed, you will notice that the text stops scrolling on the screen. At this point you have an open connection as root.
  • From here I created the directories /dev/bin, copied the file from the XX folder into it and ran the executable command. (In summary I just ran the scripts as outlined in the Mazda AIO serial connection)
NOTE: You MUST run the scripts and commands at this point.

• Once this was done, I followed regular process as dictated for after updating firmware. (turn off car, remove flash, lock car and wait 5m away for 3 mins etc)
  • I then put the flash drive in with the AIO tweaks and it installed.
Hope this can help some other users out there.

1201 - 1207 of 1207 Posts