2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

8801 - 8813 of 8813 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everybody,
My CX-5 is on OS v55.00.753. I have successfully installed some of the AIO Tweaks and now am thinking about updating the firmware. In the FAQ there is a section about changing the root login to cmu for versions before 56. I did select the Force Update SSH option when I compiled my tweaks and installed them. How do I change the root login to cmu? Can I test this without building a serial interface? Also, from reading the firmware update instructions the second iteration of the update should give me 70.00.100A. Can I just stop there and avoid having to build the serial interface? I would like to add AA/CarPlay in the future.
TIA

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
You can install Autorun/ID7 from top right corner in AIO. This will allow you to do firmware updates up to/including 70.00.100, without having to do the serial access and still be able to install tweaks via USB. If the installation of Autorun/ID7 was successful can be tested with the dryrunscript "run.sh" - see top right in AIO for more info.
Yes, you can stop at 70.00.100. But no FW 70 supports AIO AA (Android Auto). Just as info, if you plan to use that as long as you do not have official AA/CP retrofitted yet. For using AIO AA is 59.00.502 recommended as the most compatible firmware version.
With installed 70.00.100 you only have to retrofit the official AA/CP hardware and then it works.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the response. I did the autorun/ID7 scripts install and then made a usb with only the dryrun script on it. I got the message autorun & recovery installation complete. I assume this means that I can update firmware and not have to worry about changing root password or building the serial interface, correct? I was interested in v70 because I have an iPhone (more below), but I will go with your advice on v59.00.502. The firmware in the archive has an A suffix. Is that ok? Now for my wifi question. I'm assuming the wifi option is to make the radio a wifi access point. I am on my first (and last!) iPhone and cannot get the radio to connect to my phone with personal hotspot turned on. I am missing something here or is this another one of my endless Apple frustrations? I did not try driving my car up near the window and connecting to my home wifi (yet). The car does see the hotspot but doesn't connect with the password.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Correct, this means that you can update firmware (up to/including FW 70.00.100 and not have to worry about changing root password or building the serial interface.

If you do not want to install the AIO Android Auto Tweak, then I would recommend to install 70.00.100, as between that and the older 59.00.502 a lot bugs were fixed. And this way you do not have to update again before installing/retrofitting the AA/CP hardware (new hub+2 cables). But of course, you are free to update to whatever version you would like to. And yes, there is always a letter behind the versions, but only one version with one end-letter of each firmware is available. The letter does not have a meaning.

Regarding your wifi question: WiFi option is to enable WiFi at the radio, correct. This enables you to connect to an WiFi of your own (e.g. a hotspot created by your mobile, your home router or an mobile router at your usb slot). But having WiFi enabled in your radio (MZD/CMU) is only relevant, if you want to use Mazda`s optional services, which you have to pay for (at least here in Europe there are some available), or you want to access the MZD/CMU via SSH to change some files. The WiFi of the radio does not have internet access by itself/can not reduce the data consumption of your mobile data plan, when connected to it. Usually the WiFi of the radio should connect to your phone`s hotspot. Try using an short/easy WiFi Hotspot name/SSID (just letters) and an 8 digit password using numbers only to test it. I think that there was some issue with iPhones and the WiFi Hotspot, but as I do not own an iPhone, perhaps someone else can help here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again. I will try the v59.00.502 firmware, probably after it is motorcycle season here and the car gets used less. I will be going back to an Android soon so that will allow me to try the AIO AA. If I end up buying the kit I will build the serial interface at that time as long as the dash is apart. I only bought the iPhone because it has native support for my hearing aids but everything else with it has proved to be frustrating. The next questions will be about SSH into the radio. If I get it connected to my home network I should be able to use the terminal in my Chromebook for that. I'll try ping first and work from there. Right now I'll just wait for warmer weather.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Thank you very much for the file. It loaded perfectly... I am now on version 9... However, I still do not get album art on any of my XM channels... Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.
I'm driving a 2016.5 GT since brand new and have never been able to get album art for XM Radio. Thought maybe with later code it would show up but no go and didn't show up after upgrading to the new USB hub to get Android Auto (using AIO Tweaks for a long time now). Had been using a Samsung Note 9 and now using a S21 Ultra.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello, running v55.00.753 NA with a few tweaks installed years ago including AA and speedometer . 2016 3 Hatchback. Looking to retrofit for the official Airplay now, but don’t want to brick with the firmware upgrade to v70. Can someone help with instruction to do so please? Apologies, I’m sure it’s covered somewhere but having difficulty finding the details. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
As far as I know, you only have to update to the "in-between" firmware 70.00.100 if your firmware would have been older/lower than 55.00.650, which it is not. So I guess you could update to the latest firmware 70.00.367 directly. If you want to be 100% sure, you can update to 70.00.100 first and then to .367. The update manual/instruction is written for the dealers, as Mazda does not intend us end users to update the firmware. Read it carefully before the update. Stick to it to the word. All you do is on your own risk (risk of bricking the CMU).
Inofficial Downloadlink (including update instruction PDFs): HiDrive ... 70.00.100 NA is hidden in the 31.00.100 folder.

·
Registered
21 Posts
As far as I know, you only have to update to the "in-between" firmware 70.00.100 if your firmware would have been older/lower than 55.00.650, which it is not. So I guess you could update to the latest firmware 70.00.367 directly. If you want to be 100% sure, you can update to 70.00.100 first and then to .367. The update manual/instruction is written for the dealers, as Mazda does not intend us end users to update the firmware. Read it carefully before the update. Stick to it to the word. All you do is on your own risk (risk of bricking the CMU).
Inofficial Downloadlink (including update instruction PDFs): HiDrive ... 70.00.100 NA is hidden in the 31.00.100 folder.
Thanks! Any idea if the latest version of AIO can uninstall the AA tweaks or others that might interfere with the firmware upgrade?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Latest AIO 2.8.6 can uninstall older/already installed tweaks. What I would do if I were you:
1. In AIO: Top left menu: "Uninstall all" - all tweaks are marked red (you could do this manually, but this way its faster)
2. In AIO: Top left "install options": Ensure that the checkbox before "apps to resources" is NOT ticked. By that the old tweaks already installed in root partition should get deleted/uninstalled.
3. Hit Button "Start Compilation" - copy content to FAT32 formatted USB Stick and plug the usb in the car.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
But at .367 you can not install any Aio tweaks anymore. If you want to install tweaks I would recommend to you:
a) install Autorun/ID7 tweak from AIO to your current FW, update to FW 70.00.100, install the desired tweaks. No serial access required.
OR
b) install FW 70.00.352, do the ID7v2 serial access process: www.mazdatweaks.com/id7 and them install the desired tweaks.

8801 - 8813 of 8813 Posts