2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

8201 - 8220 of 8331 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If the dealer installs carplay (firmware (FW) update and new usb hub/cables), he has to install the latest FW. The latest FW deletes all tweaks and the ability to install tweaks via USB. Only option then would be to reinstall the FW and install ID7v2 via serial access (see separate ID7v2 thread and www.mazdatweaks.com/id7). And yes, that serial access (for being able to install tweaks via USB) has to be done at every FW update above 70.00.335 - as far as I know.

Other option: Install FW 70.00.100 by yourself and let the dealer only install the hardware and tell him not to update the firmware. This way you could update your FW now, including tweaks and it would work (without serial access) afterwards with Carplay.

So my recommendation for your plan is:
1. Install ID7 from AIO (top right in AIO) www.mazdatweaks.com. As your MZD has a lower FW 5x, this should work (from 59.00.502 its blocked already). ID7 from AIO works as a one time install below FW 59.00.502 (install once below FW .502) and stays installed up to/including FW 70.00.100.
2. Update to FW 70.00.100 (inofficial Downloadlink)
3. Install Tweaks of AIO via USB & use them
4. Somewhen later go to the dealer and let him install the hardware (new usb hub/cables) only and tell him not to update the MZD FW.
5. Use Carplay and Tweaks :)

All AIO and FW Updates on your own risk, as thats nothing official from Mazda. Only use the latest FW update manual, read it before the update and stick to it to the word. And be aware, that the higher the FW is, the less bugs it should have... so its a tradeoff to not install the latest FW .352 vs. not doing the serial access ID7v2 and staying at the FW 70.00.100.

·
Registered
15 Posts
All AIO and FW Updates on your own risk, as thats nothing official from Mazda. Only use the latest FW update manual, read it before the update and stick to it to the word. And be aware, that the higher the FW is, the less bugs it should have... so its a tradeoff to not install the latest FW .352 vs. not doing the serial access ID7v2 and staying at the FW 70.00.100.
Thank you for such a quick reply! Now I guess some other questions. If I stick with your recommendation, with the USB, the USB needs to stay in at all times correct? Or only when I want the tweaks present? Or is it only needed for the install and then I won't need it unless I want to install more?

Another question, are there any known tradeoffs staying at 70.00.100 rather than updating all the way to .352, I know you said bugs but are there any noteworthy bugs or just stuff behind the scenes that I probably wouldn't notice? (Obviously, other than the loss of USB access) Also are there any limitations to max USB size I can use, will having a lot of extra storage space be beneficial at all or do I just need a drive that fits whatever I want to install?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
The USB stick (has to be FAT32 formatted) is only needed for the install and then you won't need it unless you want to install more or uninstall tweaks. You have to remove the USB stick after the install process... otherwise the install process starts over again. I guess a max. USB Stick size of 4 or 8 GB is recommended by Mazda, but I heard that 32/64 GB worked as well, if FAT32 formatted at a Windows system (MAC makes problems). The USB must only be the size of data you want to put there... and even a FW update file is not larger than 4 GB, if I remember correctly.

See the official changelog for differences between 70.00.100 and the following/newer versions:

·
Registered
15 Posts
The USB stick (has to be FAT32 formatted) is only needed for the install and then you won't need it unless you want to install more or uninstall tweaks. You have to remove the USB stick after the install process... otherwise the install process starts over again. I guess a max. USB Stick size of 4 or 8 GB is recommended by Mazda, but I heard that 32/64 GB worked as well, if FAT32 formatted at a Windows system (MAC makes problems). The USB must only be the size of data you want to put there... and even a FW update file is not larger than 4 GB, if I remember correctly.

See the official changelog for differences between 70.00.100 and the following/newer versions:
Two more questions along this process, I've done the AIO stuff, and was able to put in some tweaks to make sure the program was being recognized from my flash drive, however is there a way to confirm that the ID7 was successfully installed and functioning properly? I'd like to update to 70.00.100, but don't have the hardware to make a serial connection (already ordered), and restore USB functionality, so I'm not really aware of any way to make sure it's in the system. Additionally, with the HiDrive link you gave me, I can't find 70.00.100, only 70.00.021 and everything above .100, but no .100, am I mistaken? Thank you for your help!

ALSO, I've decided that I'm going to go through with the CarPlay retrofit myself, as I've rewatched install videos and feel more comfortable with it since I previously thought I had to solder wires and things like that. With that in mind, do I need to change any of the steps you gave me with the previous scenario of having the dealer do it for me?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Two more questions along this process, I've done the AIO stuff, and was able to put in some tweaks to make sure the program was being recognized from my flash drive, however is there a way to confirm that the ID7 was successfully installed and functioning properly? I'd like to update to 70.00.100, but don't have the hardware to make a serial connection (already ordered), and restore USB functionality, so I'm not really aware of any way to make sure it's in the system. Additionally, with the HiDrive link you gave me, I can't find 70.00.100, only 70.00.021 and everything above .100, but no .100, am I mistaken? Thank you for your help!

ALSO, I've decided that I'm going to go through with the CarPlay retrofit myself, as I've rewatched install videos and feel more comfortable with it since I previously thought I had to solder wires and things like that. With that in mind, do I need to change any of the steps you gave me with the previous scenario of having the dealer do it for me?
Version 70.00.100 is under the link @Tristan-cx5 gave you, here.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Version 70.00.100 is under the link @Tristan-cx5 gave you, here.
Wonderful, thank you so much @dror and @Tristan-cx5, you guys have been a huge help! I guess the last step then, is to make sure that everything with the ID7 and serial access stuff are installed correctly so that I don't get stuck once I update, right? Is there a way for me to see if it was installed?

·
andrep
6 Posts
I checked by installing the second time, then the system asked if I want to update? the software clicked yes and then you are sure that ID7 was installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I checked by installing the second time, then the system asked if I want to update? the software clicked yes and then you are sure that ID7 was installed.
You checked if ID7 was installed by installing it a second time? I'm not sure if I understand. Or I guess I still don't understand clearly the process of installing ID7 other than that I know I have to do it before updating past FW 59, correct?

Also, the infotainment crashed today, was my first experience with this. To my understanding, loading a bunch of tweaks while having navigation installed puts a lot of stress on the CMU, do you guys have any advice on how to mitigate this or make crashes/lag less likely to happen?

·
andrep
6 Posts
Yes for the second time and if ID7 was previously installed then the system will ask whether to update
When the system asks for an update, it means that the ID7 file is already installed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes for the second time and if ID7 was previously installed then the system will ask whether to update
When the system asks for an update, it means that the ID7 file is already installed.
So the system installs ID7, while it updates to 70.00.100 as long as I have them both in USB?

·
andrep
6 Posts
ID7 autorun is a file that protects against blocking USB access to MZD
As a colleague wrote earlier you will have access to software no higher than 70.0.100, but I suggest you not go so high I have 59.00.545 and it is great.
Upload ID7 before, I described how to make sure it is already installed?

·
andrep
6 Posts
If you decide to install the new USB CarPlay and AA module then you must first update the software to 70.00.100 as Tristian-cx5 wrote
By the way, thank you for all the help Tristan you give here on foum and which I used more than once.
Regards

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
@RainySalad:
1. First install ID7 tweak (only that is at the USB stick) from AIO at your current MZD firmware version. The MZD reboots at the end of the install process. Then let the usb stick in the car, the install process starts again and you will be asked, if you want to update (if it was installed correctly previously) or cancel. In this canel hit cancel. If there is no update prompt, but only install, install it again. Then remove the usb stick. This is what it looks like at the first install:
ID7-uninstall.jpg
2. Delete everything at the usb stick or format it or take a new one and copy the firmare files of 70.00.100 to it. Do the FW update accoring to the PDF in the link of the FW files you got.

In both cases the usb stick only has to stay in the usb slots as long as the installation/update is running. Afterwards you can remove it. It`s like as you would install a software/OS-update from usb to your PC. Afterwards its on the pc/MZD and can run on its own.

I would suggest to remove the Navi-SD while installation, if it slows your system down. MZD will run a little faster/more stable with FW 59 or FW 70. And I would not suggest to install all tweaks or a big bunch of them at once... read carefully what you "need"/want and only install these, as otherwise the MZD system might be too slow with all the tweaks on it. Uninstalling tweaks works like installing tweaks - you only have to select the red button in AIO aside the tweaks and then compile the "uninstaller"-tweak and install them, so that the tweaks get uninstalled.

·
Registered
15 Posts
@RainySalad:
1. First install ID7 tweak (only that is at the USB stick) from AIO at your current MZD firmware version. The MZD reboots at the end of the install process. Then let the usb stick in the car, the install process starts again and you will be asked, if you want to update (if it was installed correctly previously) or cancel. In this canel hit cancel. If there is no update prompt, but only install, install it again. Then remove the usb stick. This is what it looks like at the first install:
View attachment 276215
2. Delete everything at the usb stick or format it or take a new one and copy the firmare files of 70.00.100 to it. Do the FW update accoring to the PDF in the link of the FW files you got.

In both cases the usb stick only has to stay in the usb slots as long as the installation/update is running. Afterwards you can remove it. It`s like as you would install a software/OS-update from usb to your PC. Afterwards its on the pc/MZD and can run on its own.

I would suggest to remove the Navi-SD while installation, if it slows your system down. MZD will run a little faster/more stable with FW 59 or FW 70. And I would not suggest to install all tweaks or a big bunch of them at once... read carefully what you "need"/want and only install these, as otherwise the MZD system might be too slow with all the tweaks on it. Uninstalling tweaks works like installing tweaks - you only have to select the red button in AIO aside the tweaks and then compile the "uninstaller"-tweak and install them, so that the tweaks get uninstalled.
Wow, thank you so much @Tristan-cx5, beautiful explanation and so clear! I'm going to do this tomorrow! Hopefully, the carplay modules come in soon so I can do the install! For serial access, is it okay if I left the wires in the CMU and led them through the glove box so it'd be accessible for whenever I needed it? (so I don't have to take off the trim every time to get to CMU)?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes, thats ok. I did that myself (cables from CMU to area around the fuse box in driver legroom, but does not matter where they end). But do NOT let the cables be connected to the USB serial adapter, when not in use (not doing the serial acces just right now). When the adapter is connected to the cables all the time, it will receive data, even if the car is closed and MZD display is black and will drain your battery very fast. So always disconnect the adapter from the cables, if you are not doing the serial access right now.

See post here and the following ones, for more info about the pins which can be used to connect the cables for serial access to the CMU connector permanently.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, thats ok. I did that myself (cables from CMU to area around the fuse box in driver legroom, but does not matter where they end). But do NOT let the cables be connected to the USB serial adapter, when not in use (not doing the serial acces just right now). When the adapter is connected to the cables all the time, it will receive data, even if the car is closed and MZD display is black and will drain your battery very fast. So always disconnect the adapter from the cables, if you are not doing the serial access right now.
Awesome thank you! Since I'm only updating to 70.00.100, and these autorun ID7 scripts supposedly restore my USB access, I won't need to use serial access at all correct? Only if I want to update past 70.00.100? Or do I need to use serial at 70.00.100 to active the USB access again?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
1. Correct, as long as you install the ID7 from AIO at a FW below 59.00.502.
2. Only past 70.00.100 you will need to do the special/new ID7v2 while/at the end of the update process of the firmware. After 70.00.100 the ID7 from AIO does not work anymore. See separte thread ID7v2 for more info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. Correct, as long as you install the ID7 from AIO at a FW below 59.00.502.
2. Only past 70.00.100 you will need to do the special/new ID7v2 while/at the end of the update process of the firmware. After 70.00.100 the ID7 from AIO does not work anymore. See separte thread ID7v2 for more info.
Awesome! Thank you for clearing that up for me :) I think my last question, why install the old ID7, (I know it's enough for what I'm intending), but is it possible to install IDv2 the same way as IDv1, if I intend to stay on 70.00.100 but want to be prepared ahead of time in case I want to update past that in the future? Or is the installation process for ID7v2 completely different, even in my scenario?

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
1. No, thats not possible. The update to .335 and/or .352 will erase all tweaks including ID7/ID7v2.
2. Thats why there is that special ID7v2, which has to be done via serial access during/at the end of the FW update to .335 and/or .352. It is possible to "update" .335 over .335 and .352 over .352 - as often as you want. So you have multiple trys for the serial access ID7v2.
3. I recommended 70.00.100 to you, so that you do not have to do the serial access, as you can install ID7 from AIO at your lower FW (below 59.00.502) via USB, without having to do the serial access.

·
Registered
15 Posts
1. No, thats not possible. The update to .335 and/or .352 will erase all tweaks including ID7/ID7v2.
2. Thats why there is that special ID7v2, which has to be done via serial access during/at the end of the FW update to .335 and/or .352. It is possible to "update" .335 over .335 and .352 over .352 - as often as you want. So you have multiple trys for the serial access ID7v2.
3. I recommended 70.00.100 to you, so that you do not have to do the serial access, as you can install ID7 from AIO at your lower FW (below 59.00.502) via USB, without having to do the serial access.
Awesome, thank you! I'm going to try this later today and I'll get back to you if the install went well! I'll update to 70.00.100 if it did and reinstall my tweaks, I'll install carplay when it gets here and set up the serial access lead to the glove box so I have it set up when/if I need it in the future! In regards to installing tweaks and setting up my USB drive, are they are benefits to using the install options on the left side of AIO? I don't really understand what they would do to me, I guess I'm asking if there's anything you recommend me include in the options when I go to install tweaks.

8201 - 8220 of 8331 Posts