2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I took my Speed3 in for it's 30,000 mile service yesterday. Not 10 minutes after I leave, a lady from the sales department calls and tells me that my model is in high demand (used cars in general are always in high demand anyways) and they want me to come back in to appraise my car. She says they can make it worth my while, get me in a brand new 2012 Speed3 for the same monthly payment or less with 0% financing.

I JUST bought the car November 2...it is in IMMACULATE condition, it was previously owned by a woman who kept it in a garage, only drove it on weekends, never drove it hard and never even had passengers in it. It FEELS brand new and even has new car smell still, haha!

I really love this car and I'm finding it hard to just give it up so easily...especially since I've been wanting one badly since 2007!

My car: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3, True Red
Mods: Not much, boost gauge in driver's side vent pod, blue LED interior lights and 20% tint ATWA.

What do you guys think?

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
Ok, so I took my Speed3 in for it's 30,000 mile service yesterday. Not 10 minutes after I leave, a lady from the sales department calls and tells me that my model is in high demand (used cars in general are always in high demand anyways) and they want me to come back in to appraise my car. She says they can make it worth my while, get me in a brand new 2012 Speed3 for the same monthly payment or less with 0% financing.

I JUST bought the car November 2...it is in IMMACULATE condition, it was previously owned by a woman who kept it in a garage, only drove it on weekends, never drove it hard and never even had passengers in it. It FEELS brand new and even has new car smell still, haha!

I really love this car and I'm finding it hard to just give it up so easily...especially since I've been wanting one badly since 2007!

My car: 2009 Mazdaspeed 3, True Red
Mods: Not much, boost gauge in driver's side vent pod, blue LED interior lights and 20% tint ATWA.

What do you guys think?
Urs is still really great I mean it's really a preference brand new car with no miles compared to a 30xxx that's still in good condition you just bought the Car how long would the new loan be how much have you paid on current car you know these are questions you have to ask yourself

·
Registered
5 Posts
If the loan is not longer than ur current loan, it would be like getting a new car for the price of a 2009. If it is any longer or more expensive though i wouldn't do it. It sounds like you really like your car, and if you are really attached to it, nothing can replace senimental value. BTW They are different styles, what style do u like better

·
Registered
214 Posts
Newer + lower miles + same monthly payment doesn't sound like a bad deal..

Go in just check out what they offer you for your car see what the payment will be and test drive the new speed3 see if you like it better then yours...and then start to think if you want to do it..don't agree right away..

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Depending on whether or not the term of the loan is lengthened new is always more desirable than used IMO...especially when it comes to performance cars and warranties.

I mean, just because the previous owner of your current car claims to have "babied" it and never driven it hard, that does not mean she didn't do some unforeseen wear to the engine by driving it/maintaining it incorrectly (loading the engine while at low RPM or even filling it with 87 to save money).

I don't know that I would ever feel comfortable buying a used performance car (jut a personal quirk of mine I guess) so depending on the deal that the dealer is willing to work out, it might be worth your while to consider it.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
I would say depending on the deal you get, go for it. There is much to be gained with no cost to you. Just be smart and dont let them sweet talk you. Pay attention to what matters most for you. If they really want your car bad enough you might be able to get them to toss in some goodies if you really ham it up and make it look like your doing them a favor by trading your "baby"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depending on whether or not the term of the loan is lengthened new is always more desirable than used IMO...especially when it comes to performance cars and warranties.

I mean, just because the previous owner of your current car claims to have "babied" it and never driven it hard, that does not mean she didn't do some unforeseen wear to the engine by driving it/maintaining it incorrectly (loading the engine while at low RPM or even filling it with 87 to save money).

I don't know that I would ever feel comfortable buying a used performance car (jut a personal quirk of mine I guess) so depending on the deal that the dealer is willing to work out, it might be worth your while to consider it.
I'm definitely with you on that one! I test drove about 15 (literally) Speed 3's before I found the one I have. I was in a pinch, my car was totaled and I needed a replacement fast (work for the government and can't take a lot of unexpected leave) which is why I was in the market for used.

I paid for almost the entire car outright so I have very little on the loan.

I know she could have definitely lied about the upkeep of the car but, man I'm telling you, this thing feels brand new in every way.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I would say depending on the deal you get, go for it. There is much to be gained with no cost to you. Just be smart and dont let them sweet talk you. Pay attention to what matters most for you. If they really want your car bad enough you might be able to get them to toss in some goodies if you really ham it up and make it look like your doing them a favor by trading your "baby"
that or try to buy the car on invoice price as much as possible. I bought mine 300 less invoice price

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would only really do it if you are (1) in the market for a new car or (2) you agree to the terms of the new loan.

Do not get tricked into the statement of “same monthly payment”. Pay attention to what you will end up paying at the end of that loan.

For example, if your current car loan is say $300 a month and you have 12 months left, your out of pocket expense is going to be a lot more with a $300 a month payment on a 60 month loan.

Also you need to look at the value of your car and when to sell/trade to get the most bang for your buck. I always buy my cars new and for me that is about 6 to 8 years. Since you bought your car used, you did not suffer the new car depreciation affect so it might be only 3 to 4 years of ownership to be worth it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok guys, I’ve made a decision…btw, thanks for all the advice, very sound advice might I add :)

Here’s the thing, I REALLY love my car. I definitely prefer the Gen 1 styling over the Gen 2. Loved it since late 06!! :) And basically I got the newest Gen 1 model I could get.

I was also already setting aside money to get a carbon fiber hood with inlet to help with heat soak (and have it painted True Red to match, of course).

My thinking was that if I could get a great deal, and get them to throw in a lot of Mazdaspeed aftermarket products, and make the price worth my time.

I think I will at least go sit with her and see what they would offer for the whole deal but, the more I think about it, the less I want to get rid of my current Speed!

I’ve grown seriously attached to it and I swear it drives just as good as the new (then) Speed 3 I test drove off the lot with 0 miles on it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, I’ve made my final decision.

The offer was actually pretty good. My current Speed 3 was almost fully paid for with the settlement from the accident so I knew I was gonna have SOME kinda of payment. With my job though, I’m not concerned about a car payment.

She offered me $1500 more than what I paid for on my 09 and for the 2012 Speed 3 she offered me 0% financing for 48 months which was more than affordable.

What it came down to is basically I just love my car too much! Haha…I love everything about it, especially the styling.

And the things that some would consider “shortcomings” compared to the Gen2, such as the heatsoak problem, suspension, and other minor things, I was already planning on correcting anyways by upgrading and tuning. New carbon fiber hood with vent, bigger intercooler core, Koni FSD adaptive dampers, CAI, TIP, etc…

I think I will be MUCH happier building my beast myself :)

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Wow, so your self admitted inferior gendone was in a accident too and your still commited to keeping it. That's love! :shocked: I'd prefer to break in an unmolested virgin, but that's just me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, so your self admitted inferior gendone was in a accident too and your still commited to keeping it. That's love! :shocked: I'd prefer to break in an unmolested virgin, but that's just me.
Please show me where I stated the car that was involved in an accident was a Gen1 Speed3.... ;)

I never stated what car was involved in the accident.

But, for the record, it was a 2001 Toyota Celica GTS :)

I DID test drive literally 12 Speed3's in an 80 mile radius until I found my current one :p And it was babied beyond comprehension :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
But you do have a point... the MAIN reason I was even considering taking the deal was so I could be the one to "pop her cherry" :D hahaha

·
cro-magnon man
510 Posts
jusdging by your sn you are in Beaufort SC, been there done that the dealships aroudn there suck and will do anytthing to get one over on you, if you are a non-rate i highly sugggest you take Staff or a Sgt with you and have them look over the terms and everything else. Been there and done that with the dealerships around Beausfort and including Savannah. Semper Fi.

missed the part where you made your mind up but keep the said above in your head for next time ;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
jusdging by your sn you are in Beaufort SC, been there done that the dealships aroudn there suck and will do anytthing to get one over on you, if you are a non-rate i highly sugggest you take Staff or a Sgt with you and have them look over the terms and everything else. Been there and done that with the dealerships around Beausfort and including Savannah. Semper Fi.

missed the part where you made your mind up but keep the said above in your head for next time ;)
Good assumption...but not quite. I am from Savannah, served in the Marine Corps and finished my last 6 months in Beaufort. Also lived in Bluffton for a while...I know VERY well how the dealerships down there work, especially Key Mazda...they tried that "Oh they're only making 5,000 of them" BS back in late 06 when I first wanted one. Most people typically don't try BS'ing me down there since Sheriff Tanner is my uncle...but that's besides the point, haha.

I'm a Federal Agent and have been working in and around the Atlanta area for 3 years...it's a local dealership up here.

I'm not some kids getting tricked with the monthly payment scam.

Like I said, $1,000 over on trade-in (which I paid 80% for in cash anyways) and $500 under MSRP with 0% financing... there's nothing hidden in the deal. I know how to scrutinize contracts and legal documents.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BTW, I'm guessing you're a fellow Devil Dog? If so, where are you located now? PM me...we've got a small group of Mazdaspeed owners up here who get together...and 4 other Marines I served with live up here with 15 miles of me, so we get together a lot too. If you're close, you're welcome to join us! :)

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
"The offer was actually pretty good. My current Speed 3 was almost fully paid for with the settlement from the accident so I knew I was gonna have SOME kinda of payment. With my job though, I’m not concerned about a car payment".

This sentence made it sound like your MS3 was in an accident. Guess I read it to fast. If your car is in fact as mint as you state then keeping it is a no brainer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, that and the fact that I like the Gen1 body style better is why I ultimately am happy with my decision to keep mine. It's just very tempting to get a car with no miles on it...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts