2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i finally got around to got around to installing a subwoofer on my mazda. so here is a quick run down of what i did.

First off i wanted to keep everything looking and feeling stock so i used the an Audio Control LC2I, picked it up on Amazon for around $70. I went with the LC2I instead of the LC6I because all i wanted to with was just add some base to my sound, in the future if i decide to upgrade and do a full audio upgrade i guess i'll upgrade to the 6, but for now the 2 works just fine.

Next i had to looked at a few of the How to's and audio upgrade threads on the forum to try and get an idea of: 1) Where was the best route for running power from the battery to the trunk and 2) where was the best place to tape into the speakers wires for the line out converter.

Heres how i ran power from the battery to the trunk (not the best pics but i hope u guys get the picture):

Now, For figuring out where was the best place to tap into the speaker wires for the line out converter i had to do ALOT of searching. Every thread i read kept saying to tap into the rear speakers from the post, but noooo one actually had pictures of which wires or could say what color wire i was supposed to tap into. LUCKILY, after hours of searching, i was able to fire a wiring diagram which lead me to these wires:

Right side Rear Speaker Wire

Left Side Rear Speaker Wire

After that it, all that was left to do was hook everything up, and i'm happy to report everything works and it sounds great!!

For the moment i dont quite know the specs of the amps and speakers that i am running (had these laying around my buddy's garage), i definitely know its wayyyyy more that i need lol.

I'm thinking this is more what i'm looking for, but i haven't been able to find a store near by that has them in stock to try them out and see how they sound

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-P300-12-Subwoofer-Enclosure/dp/B007AQ2W6W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1518877952&sr=1-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+p300[/ame]

So for now this is the set up i'm running (at the time of taking this pic i havent figured out how im securing the amp and the LC2I to the rear seat, thinking about trying velcro)

Thanks for reading guys, i'll be happy to answer questions you guys may have! :001_cool 1:

·
Banned
842 Posts
For the moment i dont quite know the specs of the amps and speakers that i am running (had these laying around my buddy's garage), i definitely know its wayyyyy more that i need lol.
Nice write up and pictures.

You know it does not matter that you are running an AMP that is more power then the speakers you are using Audio Control LC2I it is advisable to set the gains on the AMP all to zero and do all your adjustments from the LC2i. This will do a couple of things right off... one is protect your speakers from over driving them, and you get a cleaner signal to the amp.

I know you know all this and my comments are more directed to other members that are reading this great thread and not know the capabilities of the Audio Control LC2I.

·
Banned
842 Posts
can i use another brand instead of lc2i ?
The generic answer is YES

The complete answer which you were are most likely looking for "what else will work"(?) may need to come form other members. As my GOLDEN RULE on forums if I have not personally tried or have experience with something something I dont post about it. Anyone can go read about something on the internet and reword it to sound as if they have a valuable suggestion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!!!:thumbup1 1:

You know it does not matter that you are running an AMP that is more power then the speakers you are using Audio Control LC2I it is advisable to set the gains on the AMP all to zero and do all your adjustments from the LC2i. This will do a couple of things right off... one is protect your speakers from over driving them, and you get a cleaner signal to the amp.
After reading the reviews and watching set up videos lol, thats exactly how i have it set up. I only wish i had bought the remote so i could have adjusted the levels from inside the car rather than going to the drunk all the time.

Yes you can use any line out converter of your choosing, i chose this one based on the specs and reviews from other forum members and buyers.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Thanks!!!!:thumbup1 1:
After reading the reviews and watching set up videos lol, thats exactly how i have it set up. I only wish i had bought the remote so i could have adjusted the levels from inside the car rather than going to the drunk all the time..
My first GOOD idea....(NOT) mounting mine under the front passenger seat. WHAT A MISTAKE.....You have to be a contortionist to get under there to make adjustments. I even re-configured and placed Velcro so I could reach under pull it a little more accessible to make adjustments. That sorta work but it is "clumsy"! I have drawn up plans to mount all 3 amps and the 2 sound controllers on a panel behind the sub-woofer bu accessible if I lower the rear seat. It should look pretty good as well? Will see. Besides once everything is installed I should only need to do changes at that point with my iPad mini.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello guys, I want to upgrade audio system on my mazda 3 2016 non-bose. I plan to install under seat active subwoofer (Rockville RW8CA 8") and 4-channel amplifer (Rockford Fosgate R250X4) to improve quality of stock speakers. It will be my first ever installation and I need someone's help. I saw video guides, but still I feel like a nub. What I will need to best installation, Audio Control LC6i or PAC AOEM-MAZ2? What's the difference? Will stock speakers perform better with amp or I need to buy aftermarket spwaker to get the result? What about the sub, maybe is it better to install 5 channel amp? I just want to build a good audio system with clear and high quality sound. Please, guide me through my first ever installation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
LUCKILY, after hours of searching, i was able to fire a wiring diagram which lead me to these wires:

Thank you for the great post and all of the photos. Could you please share the wiring diagram or let us know the colors of the + and - wires on each side of the car? Thanks again!

EDIT: Found the answers. Rear door speaker left side + is blue and - is gray. Rear door speaker right side + is brown and - is sky blue. This is from the 2014 Mazda 3 manual. I will find confirm this information later today when I go to work on my new 2018 Mazda 3 Sport GS.

·
Registered
2 Posts
question on hook up of audio control

can you explain how you wired the DSP up, I am currently installing the lci7 in my mazda and it powers up but I have no sound going to anything, the sound comes from radio only and sounds like sh... ive watched every video and im pulling my hair out. I really appreciate it

·
Registered
1 Posts
My question is where did you get the line to the remote amp wire? Like what wire did you tap off of so that your amp wasn’t on 24/7?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My question is where did you get the line to the remote amp wire? Like what wire did you tap off of so that your amp wasn’t on 24/7?
The LCI takes care of this...its has a feature that detects the car is on from the speaker wires and then feeds a remote out put to your amp.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S Grand Touring, 6spd Manual, Soul Red
148 Posts
there’s a few that do similar things. I have the lc2i that I used in my Ridgeline until I wanted to drop everything to 1ohm.
But to answer your question, you can use the PAC PDLC21 (which works fine) and there’s a few others out there. They are just an “active” LOC as opposed to the “passive” like the ones you find in Walmart or the auto parts chain stores. DS18 has a good 4 channel one too, from what others’ have told me.
Also, from what I’ve seen online there’s a much more integrated Mazda specific device PAC AOEM-MAZ2. If I add a sub to my 3 that’s what I’m going to use. Half the price of the lc2i, as an added bonus.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So i finally got around to got around to installing a subwoofer on my mazda. so here is a quick run down of what i did.

First off i wanted to keep everything looking and feeling stock so i used the an Audio Control LC2I, picked it up on Amazon for around $70. I went with the LC2I instead of the LC6I because all i wanted to with was just add some base to my sound, in the future if i decide to upgrade and do a full audio upgrade i guess i'll upgrade to the 6, but for now the 2 works just fine.

Next i had to looked at a few of the How to's and audio upgrade threads on the forum to try and get an idea of: 1) Where was the best route for running power from the battery to the trunk and 2) where was the best place to tape into the speakers wires for the line out converter.

Heres how i ran power from the battery to the trunk (not the best pics but i hope u guys get the picture):

Now, For figuring out where was the best place to tap into the speaker wires for the line out converter i had to do ALOT of searching. Every thread i read kept saying to tap into the rear speakers from the post, but noooo one actually had pictures of which wires or could say what color wire i was supposed to tap into. LUCKILY, after hours of searching, i was able to fire a wiring diagram which lead me to these wires:

After that it, all that was left to do was hook everything up, and i'm happy to report everything works and it sounds great!!

I'm thinking this is more what i'm looking for, but i haven't been able to find a store near by that has them in stock to try them out and see how they sound

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fos...2&sr=1-1&keywords=rockford+fosgate+p300[/ame]

So for now this is the set up i'm running (at the time of taking this pic i havent figured out how im securing the amp and the LC2I to the rear seat, thinking about trying velcro)

Thanks for reading guys, i'll be happy to answer questions you guys may have! :001_cool 1:
Did you have to tap into the factory radio ? If so what lines did you tap into ?

·
Registered
1 Posts

I know you know all this and my comments are more directed to other members that are reading this great thread and not know the capabilities of the Audio Control LC2I.
So for the rear speaker wires can you send the diagrams you used?

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have the 2015 madza 3i sport hatchback im replacing the 2 front doors speakers to the morel maximo 6 6.5 and also a 4 channel amp and 2 12 inch and a mono block amp and the twk-88 so my question is do tap in behind the radio or the tuner located on the passager side kick panel and if so what color are the speaker wires pos/neg for the left and right door speakers this the loc ill be using is the NVX XLCA2 my radio is the infotement system

1 - 17 of 17 Posts