2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I think the best option for a permanent front tie down point might be an aftermarket JDM style racing tow hook that can mount to the bottom or somewhere between the lower grille. However I cannot find anywhere how to mount a tow hook like that on my '13 MS3, or if it's even possible...help!

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
Why??
If you're doing legit track stuff just use the OEM one for the front and bolt an tow strap in the rear.
Why install an shin buster?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why??
If you're doing legit track stuff just use the OEM one for the front and bolt an tow strap in the rear.
Why install an shin buster?
I had posted a previous thread, but the basic idea is that I have a cargo box that overhangs my windshield and needs to be tied down and since I put it on and off frequently I want a permanent solution that looks better than just a factory hook screwed into the front bumper...I figured a low profile hook under the car might look better.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
I had posted a previous thread, but the basic idea is that I have a cargo box that overhangs my windshield and needs to be tied down and since I put it on and off frequently I want a permanent solution that looks better than just a factory hook screwed into the front bumper...I figured a low profile hook under the car might look better.
ok i get the reason, but there is no structure to mount it to, the only place is the front bumper, so it ether a full custom fab, cut a slot in the front bumper for it or use the OEM one. if you look under your car and take some plastics off, there really isn't much there

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I'd use the OEM tow hook and hook it up in the rear. If necessary get another OEM tow hook and hook it up n the front.

·
Admiral Obvious
1,811 Posts
I'd use the OEM tow hook and hook it up in the rear. If necessary get another OEM tow hook and hook it up n the front.
i don't know about your car but mine had jack under the tab...

even drilling a hole to see if there was anything there...

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Hmmm I'm gonna remove the rear bumper and check I thought I saw it before behind the foam

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i get the reason, but there is no structure to mount it to, the only place is the front bumper, so it ether a full custom fab, cut a slot in the front bumper for it or use the OEM one. if you look under your car and take some plastics off, there really isn't much there
That's what I was afraid of...well in that case would anyone know where I could get a second tow thread cover so I could drill through it and still have that area covered, otherwise a whole bunch of styrofoam and subframe shows through?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Resurrecting this old thread as I have the exact same concern. An overhang on top of the car and I want two tie down points at bumper height that won't jack up the bumper /grill assembly in any way.

Sure would have been sweet if they had put two female threaded tow points instead of just one.

Anyone seen a solution for this???

FYI: 2011 5 dr Velocity Red

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is my question too...
i bought a tow hook JDM style and the bolt for it is too small and short...
but there is a bolt thread inside those styrofoam, ive seen it on mine because i dont have styrofoam...

Just wondering that size of bolt, and also the length

1 - 11 of 11 Posts