2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and due to new design, there aren't many brake pad choices for our cars.

If anyone has any source/findings for higher temp brake pads, please post below.

·
Registered
32 Posts
still haven't found many sources... I've previously run EBC yellowstuff on my Mazda6. Have you had any luck finding upgrades for the gen4s?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
still haven't found many sources... I've previously run EBC yellowstuff on my Mazda6. Have you had any luck finding upgrades for the gen4s?
Still none yet. Rockauto has several listed, but only powerstop z16 available now. Z16 is probably same as our OE pads, so I won't be buying those.
I'm at least waiting for PQ Pro. I'm expecting those to be a bit grabbier than OEM pads. According to other forums, pq pro stops/feels better and produces more dust than OE ceramic pads. I don't care about the dust, as long as the car stops better. More dust = stops better (experience from euro semi-metallic pads). The best option I'm waiting for is EBC yellowstuff. I guess I'm back to checking websites few days a week.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rockauto now has some line-ups of power stop pads.

Does anyone have experience with Z23? There's other forum experiences, but seems like 70% favor.
I think I might go with Z23 once they have the front pads as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've used Z23 extensively. Been through 4 sets of Z23 pads on my Mazda6, even worn one set down to the metal after a track day.

On road manners: overall: excellent. excellent in longevity, even with autocrosses mixed in between. No dust and very quiet. Good cold bite and linear with pressure.
On track manners: overall: decent. mediocre longevity on track, but no fade for a 3300 lbs car. Decent bite even when heated, but you will notice the pedal travel get long because the brake pistons have to travel much longer due to the wear, but brake pressure stays above 1000psi with long pedal travel even on track. 2 hours of track time will mean you need to swap pads immediately. That's the picture below.

Those are the front pads. Rears of course last longer :). I pair them with the powerstop drilled/slotted rotors on front, and centric blanks on rear.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Haha wow, you really stressed out those pads.
Good stuff. once they stock z23 for front, will get at once. Thanks for the detailed response!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was not impressed with z23 on my 2014 hatch.
Zero modulation compared to stock and not much initial grab..... need to push much harder on the pedal to get the same effect as stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5 non sky
500 Posts
Where those new on track day ? Used up the front set?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes, put on at 6am. Used up front set by 6pm same day.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
New brake pads added to Rockauto! haha
It appears Dynamic Friction has been around for a quite a while, but still new as aftermarket brake pads. The description seems OE-matched pads.
I feel like this post is becoming what's new on their site.

@meishungry wow, I wasn't expecting to read that. I'm still in the look out for better pads, maybe even wait for EBC yellow stuff.
I'm getting annoyed by the factory pads. They do feel nice when cruising, but it doesn't stop well during quick stops. Not sure if anyone else has same experience.

·
Registered
32 Posts
@frslee - well it was a track day so I don't expect too much. EBC yellowstuff fares a bit better during track days.

Haha, I wish you luck in finding the brake pad that fits your driving style / feel preference!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Im on NeoMotorsport SP600 on the fronts and R1 concept performance pad on the rear and have done 3 all day events and 5 autocross slaloms over 2/3 pad left.
They are both not your daily oem pad, over 3x the price of dynamics pads. You do pay for what you get besides longer wear .. way shorter stopping distances ..and little or no fade... plus safer on the track.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I always flushed stock Mazda brake fluid for Valvoline FullSynth dot3/4 and it feels tighter and adds better power and modulation to stock set up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Try the guys at G-Loc.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Try the guys at G-Loc.
G-LOC Make some amazing pads ... but are for very specific use.
For instance ... GS-1 is for performance street ... but should not be used on the track.
R6 is for auto cross ..but not recommended for road race or on the track ... street use dusty and noisey.
If i wasnt tracking the car i would use the R6. But i track, autocross and street use my pads.

·
Starts in Great Britain, Stops All Over The World
35 Posts
@frslee - well it was a track day so I don't expect too much. EBC yellowstuff fares a bit better during track days.

Haha, I wish you luck in finding the brake pad that fits your driving style / feel preference!
Hi, We would love to hear your feedback about our products if you have used them, fancy dropping us an Email to let us know your thoughts please? EBC Brakes

·
Registered
33 Posts
I always flushed stock Mazda brake fluid for Valvoline FullSynth dot3/4 and it feels tighter and adds better power and modulation to stock set up.
You need to rethink that and consider how hydraulics work. What you "experienced" is impossible unless there was air in your brake lines.
By the way, all brake fluid is synthetic, except for DOT 5 which is silicone.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You need to rethink that and consider how hydraulics work. What you "experienced" is impossible unless there was air in your brake lines.
By the way, all brake fluid is synthetic, except for DOT 5 which is silicone.
I felt the difference on the track going from OEM fluid to Liqui Moly 5.1 and then even when i switched to a race brake fluid.
BTW Mazda 3 brake fluid interval is every 24 months or 25,000 miles ... keep that fluid fresh

·
Registered
500 Posts
Then you have a great imagination.
Track time says different.
Under daily drives you would have to drive the same road with same speed and braking to really say there is a diff.
Most likely an old fluid vs new properly blown out brake system with new fluid should see a better pedal feel less spongy..
My personal experience is when you move from a $5 for 500ml to $40 for 500ml there is a huge difference at the track or autocross competitions.
Daily on race brake fluid maybe see a diff of a spirited twisty curvey road ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts