2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, just purchased my car last week (2014 Mazda3 sGT Hatch). The first thing I want to do is have an aftermarket alarm with remote start combo (Viper 5906) installed in my car since I live in shady area. Just curious to know if this void Mazda's warranty. Have anyone installed any kind of aftermarket alarm on their car? If so please, recommend me with some choices that is compatible with this car since this car comes with a push to start button. I appreciate it, thank you!

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had mine installed by the dealer when I purchased the car. They told me that 3rd party installers could take shortcuts while installing, which could result in electrical issues down the road. With the dealer installing it, the warranty would not be voided at all. It might be a few bucks more to have the dealer do it, but it at least gives you piece of mind that if something happens, you'll still be covered.

·
Registered
104 Posts
The truth is that it depends. If a dealer can point to any modification as being the cause to whatever is wrong with your car they are supposed to use it as grounds to not cover the repair under warranty. Also you take the risk with the remote start that if you bring your car into the dealer to diagnose something electrical they can ask you to take the remote start and alarm out on your dime so they can diagnose the car stock. Doesn't matter if the alarm is ultimately the cause or not. Not that you shouldn't do it if your installer is good but these are good things to know.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had mine installed by the dealer when I purchased the car. They told me that 3rd party installers could take shortcuts while installing, which could result in electrical issues down the road. With the dealer installing it, the warranty would not be voided at all. It might be a few bucks more to have the dealer do it, but it at least gives you piece of mind that if something happens, you'll still be covered.
So the dealer can install aftermarket alarm such Viper 5906 or is it Mazda alarm system with the 1-way? Also, I have the sGT, not sure if the factory alarm is already installed? Does anyone know the answer? Thanks for all the responses!

·
Registered
212 Posts
So the dealer can install aftermarket alarm such Viper 5906 or is it Mazda alarm system with the 1-way? Also, I have the sGT, not sure if the factory alarm is already installed? Does anyone know the answer? Thanks for all the responses!
Mazda installed mine, Compustar 2 way remote starter with alarm. With it I don't have the problems that the Mazda model does, such as turning off when the door opens. This alarm, from my understanding, overrides the factory alarm. I'm not sure if all the dealers provide the option for different remote starters, you'll have to call to find out.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mazda installed mine, Compustar 2 way remote starter with alarm. With it I don't have the problems that the Mazda model does, such as turning off when the door opens. This alarm, from my understanding, overrides the factory alarm. I'm not sure if all the dealers provide the option for different remote starters, you'll have to call to find out.
How much did it cost you? And does your alarm system have tilt and audio sensors added to the system? What are you located and what dealer you went to? Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
How much did it cost you? And does your alarm system have tilt and audio sensors added to the system? What are you located and what dealer you went to? Thanks!
This is what I got, maybe the alarm is built-in somehow, I'm not too sure but I do know that sometimes the remote alarm will go off and not the car alarm. Or sometimes both will if I do something really wrong. It was $950 from the dealer fully installed when I bought the car in Winnipeg Canada.

PRO 2-WAY 901 | RF-P2W901-SS | Remote Starters

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is what I got, maybe the alarm is built-in somehow, I'm not too sure but I do know that sometimes the remote alarm will go off and not the car alarm. Or sometimes both will if I do something really wrong. It was $950 from the dealer fully installed when I bought the car in Winnipeg Canada.

PRO 2-WAY 901 | RF-P2W901-SS | Remote Starters
Did you have to lose one of your keyfob? Or did they install a bypass module? Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the reply. But did you have to lose one of your keyfob?
When I had my Nissan Maxima, they just flashed the rom so it was like you had the key-fob in it already when the car started, I did not lose any of my key-fobs, not sure if this is the same for Mazda but should be the same way as Mazda.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Besides Dragon66_61 anyone here on this forum have any luck getting an aftermarket alarm combo without having to sacrifice their keyfob? Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the Viper 5906 installed, and the installers are stuck. The system keeps telling the installer the hood is open. They can't seem to find the OEM hood pin latch sensor or wire! Any ideas please.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had a compustar installed also and the installer gave me 2 choices.

You can remote start it without sacrificing a key fob but the car will shut off when the door is opened (just like factory remote start).

I choose the other route where i sacrificed a keyfob but the car will not shut off when the door is open and all I have to do is press the brake and drive off.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I had a compustar installed also and the installer gave me 2 choices.

You can remote start it without sacrificing a key fob but the car will shut off when the door is opened (just like factory remote start).

I choose the other route where i sacrificed a keyfob but the car will not shut off when the door is open and all I have to do is press the brake and drive off.
This is how mine is, where I just get in, hit the brake and go, but I didn't have to give up a fob, I think they just charged me for another one. I paid $950 to have installed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This is how mine is, where I just get in, hit the brake and go, but I didn't have to give up a fob, I think they just charged me for another one. I paid $950 to have installed.
Yep they probably hid a key without telling you.

Mine was $950 also but I went all out with the compustar 901 ss & the drone so I can start it with my phone if i wanted to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.