2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mazda 3 Lover
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has installed an aftermarket air filter like K&N as shown below? was it straight forward? did it improve performance or consuming more fuel? share your pics also plz.

Attachments

·
Banned
842 Posts
OH... OH.. here we go again for the hundredth, thousandth or more top 5 question asked on forums .... What AIR FILTER do you use and recommendations.:nerd:

I will simply say that when ever I can I use original K&N Air filters. :rock 1:

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
who has installed an aftermarket air filter like K&N as shown below? was it straight forward? did it improve performance or consuming more fuel? share your pics also plz.
What you are referring to is a cold air intake with a pod filter. Lots of threads about this.
More noise, bling sort of, nothing more.:dunno:

·
Registered
789 Posts
I wouldn't use an oiled filter. Too many posts on various forums about gunked-up air-flow sensors from such filters. And lab tests showing much more dirt reaching the engine.

·
Banned
842 Posts
I wouldn't use an oiled filter. Too many posts on various forums about gunked-up air-flow sensors from such filters..
Yup and everyone of them because the user did not follow the instruction for re-oiling after cleaning. :laugh2:

·
Banned
842 Posts
I could tell you more then a single problem with that **http... :laugh2:

This is always a debate on forums regarding K&N Air filters which eventually leads into many that really have never done actual testing (**at least use the 5 step principle) or even used one to have experience with one yet will have strong opinions and will find Tribal support and beliefs on the forum as well the internet. In the PERFORMANCE world more will use K&N than any other air filter anywhere in the world. :smile2:

·
Banned
842 Posts
^^^:beerchug 1:
Something I have neglected to do! Thanks for reminding me! :grin2:

Just ordered my drop in until I come up with my own design CAI (using a K&N air filter) for my M3

Thank you for shopping with us. You ordered "K&N 33-2480 Replacement Air...". We’ll send a confirmation when your item ships.

Because my color theme on this engine for dress up goodies is going to be BLUE:wink2:
Oh I forgot to mention I also ordered the little known BLUE K&N filter oil.:grin2:

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
For basic uses, dry flow is best, easiest, and less risks. AEM has a good drop-in filter that is a direct replacement for the factory filter.

Reactions: ADarkerBreed

·
Banned
842 Posts
For basic uses, dry flow is best, easiest, and less risks. AEM has a good drop-in filter that is a direct replacement for the factory filter.

This makes no sence!

The procedure for cleaning does NOT necessarily make AEM an easier choice. The easiest would simply be a OEM or aftermarket direct replacement air filter. You just go by factory Service recommendation for replacement and be done with it.

As for less risk they most performance aftermarket air filter have there short comings and it is the human factor which is people not reading and following the manufactures usage of their products.

I have AEM and they are just a pain in the arse as other performance air filters that need to be cleaned and serviced for continued use.

Just to toss this in this thread.

How to Get Good Car Repair Advice

SEE WEBSITE FOR GOOD INFORMATION:

Car Repair Advice

Automotive Forums

Another source of information many people use on the internet are automotive forums. There are hundreds of forums dedicated to specific vehicle makes and models as well as more general automotive forums. Forums contain a wealth of information, but also a lot of misinformation and conflicting information.

The typical forum user will post a question in hopes that other forum users will respond and offer an answer or advice on how to solve the problem. But with all forums, there is no guarantee that anyone will respond or that any responses they do receive will be accurate or helpful. It all depends on the other forum members and who posts a response. Many forum users are quite knowledgeable and can provide exactly the kind of answer you are looking for. Other forum users want to be helpful and may venture a guess or offer an opinion that may or may not be accurate or may be totally wrong. In other words, it may be hard to distinguish good advice from bad advice.

Most forums are moderated to delete spam, rants and off-topic posts and comments that don't belong on the forum. But in most instances, the accuracy of the posts and responses is left up to the forum users. There's no editing or vetting or review of the comments that are posted. Consequently, if inaccurate or incorrect responses are posted to a question, other more knowledgeable users may or may not challenge a post or offer additional information.

We've seen many forum responses degenerate into endless bickering between conflicting points of view. We've also seen a lot of posts that totally contradict one another. There's nothing wrong with a good debate provided the people involved know what they are talking about. But unless there is some resolution to the debate, or some serious fact checking involved, the person who posted the original question may be left confused and no closer to finding an answer than when they started.

View attachment 232722

Attachments

·
Banned
842 Posts
Nobody in the real performance world is using oiled filters anymore. Time to update your knowledge.
I will often times look at members profiles before responding directly with their quotes on forums. Your first couple of responses as a new member have not IMHO been as positive as one would really contribute as a new member? The point in the first few responses of any new members and starting a "Hi how do you do" welcoming thread is so members can get to know you a little?
As for your comment, as it has been said so often to simply get off the arm chair in front of your computer and go to TRACK events and see who is using what pars on their vehicles. or if you want better information about filters as this thread is about K&N contact the manufactures direct like. K&N 1-800-858-3333.
The question asked be the author of this thread was this:
The member was primarily asking about K&N. ^^^^^ This would be an inquire more directly not necessary limited about people that used K&N air filters and more so directly on a MAZDA!

As for my knowledge and experience having to do with air filters specially K&N you have no idea the amount of money I spend when ENGINEERING PERFORMANCE products that require the use of a filter. I use several none biased shops having flow benches and DYNO's to test proto-types of air filter systems and I have yet to find any filter that does as good as K&N.
I have also carried in all my shops K&N products (distributor,dealer, wholesaler) dating back to the late 70's and have always at least tried most all the latest "filters" other then K&N that come out over the years.

Forum Tribal Wisdom. Quote Greg Banish: "People will use what they choose and generally on forums it is advise often sought in a poll format where each person feels compelled to contribute regardless of their experience or expertise. The "winning" solution is usually declared based on the number of votes in favor of it rather than solid scientific reasoning."

I am done with this thread as I knew how it was going to go and even said in my first response
.02-19-2018, 12:41 PM post #2 of 13
OH... OH.. here we go again for the hundredth, thousandth or more top 5 question asked on forums .... What AIR FILTER do you use and recommendations.:nerd:

I will simply say that when ever I can I use original K&N Air filters. :rock 1:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nobody in the real performance world is using oiled filters anymore. Time to update your knowledge.
I work with ARCA cars. I see them on TV and it makes me proud to have a hand in it. it may be one step under nascar, but we're on TV and i consider this "the real performance world".

some of these cars have Brembo brakes, some use AP Racing. the ignitions may be MSD, Crane, Mallory, Pertronix, etc.. they all do the same thing and get switched from car to car. the tires might say Goodyear, they might say General, they might say Michelin...but they are ALL made my Hoosier. as of last year all the toyotas, fords, etc, all have chevy motors and all from the same guy. i don't know about every arca team, but i can say for a fact every car you see here that has an engine in it, has a K&N filter right above it.

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture4.JPG

i've also been using K&N's on my cars forever. in 25 years i've never had a MAF fail, or my intake tube be dirty. Amsoil might make a finer filtering filter, but i like K&N i currently have. it's off a Z06. it is made of carbon fiber, flows great, weighs next to nothing, looks great, it's reusable, and keeps things clean enough for me.

my 2¢. since this is an "everyone's opinion" thread:smile2:

·
Super Moderator
6,385 Posts
I wouldn't use an oiled filter. Too many posts on various forums about gunked-up air-flow sensors from such filters. And lab tests showing much more dirt reaching the engine.
As is said in so many discussions about cotton gauze vs paper on so many forums and websites, slick marketing sells parts. There are many who fall for it and refuse to believe the evidence that is right before them no matter how it is presented. Even K&N seems to say in a slick roundabout way that their filters might not filter as well as paper, or at least make no real claims that they do.

Direct quote from the K&N website:

The dirt particles collected on the surface of a K&N element have very little effect on air flow because there are no small holes to clog. Particles are stopped by crisscrossed cotton fibers and held in suspension by the oil. As the filter begins to collect debris, an additional form of filter action begins to take place because air must first pass through the dirt particles trapped on the surface. That means the filtration efficiency of a K&N element actually increase as the filter collects dirt. Tests have shown a K&N E-1500 (most common domestic V8 element) filter will flow 60 percent of its maximum flow capacity after 50,000 miles of street use. And, considering a new K&N flows half again as much air as a comparable paper element, that same filter will provide all of the air the engine needs even after 50,000 miles.
Read the parts I highlighted. Seems one just might have to do with the other......no small holes to clog and it will still provide enough air after 50k miles. Can't imagine why.:dunno: And they are using collected dirt as a filtration medium??:surprise: That about says it all.
Nowhere does it say how or why they filter better, or even if they do, its all about how much air gets through the filter.
Heres a question - if oiled cotton gauze filters are so great, why are there no OEM filters of this sort installed at the factory? Seems to me that the so called superior filtration and airflow properties would be of some benefit, no?

There is also this bit of half truth on the K&N site-

Vehicle Warranty

Contrary to what you may have heard or read, a K&N Filtercharger will not void your vehicle warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act passed in 1982 makes it illegal for a manufacturer to void a new vehicle warranty if the consumer uses non-OEM filters unless that manufacturer provides filters free of charge. If the manufacturer does not provide air filters free of charge, they cannot void the vehicle's warranty simply because you have installed an aftermarket air filter.
This is correct, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does exist, and does provide protection if you install an aftermarket filter. However, that is just a generalized statement in that the filter installation won't affect the warranty coverage on things such as A/C, paint, suspension or any other items not directly related to the function of the filter.
What is not explained is the other half of the Act, which says that the warranty will be voided if the installed part is the root cause of the warranty claim....
So, if you bring a car with an oiled filter in for warranty work and the dealer does find any damage related to that filter such as but not limited to oil contamination or excessive wear due to poor air filtration, don't expect any warranty coverage.

Track or race applications have little or nothing to do with daily driven cars, and daily driven cars is what this thread is about. The filter (and engine) only has to make it to the end of the race, daily driven cars need better protection for far longer periods of time.

·
*The Electrician*
978 Posts
As is said in so many discussions about cotton gauze vs paper on so many forums and websites, slick marketing sells parts. There are many who fall for it and refuse to believe the evidence that is right before them no matter how it is presented. Even K&N seems to say in a slick roundabout way that their filters might not filter as well as paper, or at least make no real claims that they do.

Direct quote from the K&N website:

Read the parts I highlighted. Seems one just might have to do with the other......no small holes to clog and it will still provide enough air after 50k miles. Can't imagine why.:dunno: And they are using collected dirt as a filtration medium??:surprise: That about says it all.
Nowhere does it say how or why they filter better, or even if they do, its all about how much air gets through the filter.
Heres a question - if oiled cotton gauze filters are so great, why are there no OEM filters of this sort installed at the factory? Seems to me that the so called superior filtration and airflow properties would be of some benefit, no?

There is also this bit of half truth on the K&N site-

This is correct, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act does exist, and does provide protection if you install an aftermarket filter. However, that is just a generalized statement in that the filter installation won't affect the warranty coverage on things such as A/C, paint, suspension or any other items not directly related to the function of the filter.
What is not explained is the other half of the Act, which says that the warranty will be voided if the installed part is the root cause of the warranty claim....
So, if you bring a car with an oiled filter in for warranty work and the dealer does find any damage related to that filter such as but not limited to oil contamination or excessive wear due to poor air filtration, don't expect any warranty coverage.

Track or race applications have little or nothing to do with daily driven cars, and daily driven cars is what this thread is about. The filter (and engine) only has to make it to the end of the race, daily driven cars need better protection for far longer periods of time.

DING DING DING, GAME, SET, MATCH

1 - 20 of 25 Posts