2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I would never spend 1500 on the OEM kit (my car was $7.5K and the kit is just some plastic), even the aftermarket parts are pricey IMO (my accord OEM styled front lip was $30 lol). It seems like no one puts them on without painting first? Anyone have input on how durable the paint is? I would hate putting them on if they will just look beat up after awhile (trying to think long term). Any recommendations for paint? I know I would use the clear coat listed below since its supposed to be harder than other spray cans (automotive quality 2X). Is vinyl wrapping a good option? I have never vinyl wrapped and thinking paint is better but thought I would see what you guys think.

Clear Coat:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/U-S-Chemical-Plastics-3680061-Spraymax/dp/B0043B7UQY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542858255&sr=8-2&keywords=2k+clear+coat[/ame]

·
Registered
167 Posts
I put mine on (baysonr) without painting first. It came semi gloss and in pretty good condition. I planned on painting it but I opted to just leave it since it looked fine, especially since I have a touring which has a matte grill. Vinyl is probably more durable than a rattle can paint job unless you’re doing a ton of coats with a decent clear coat (like that 2k). Vinyl is also much easier to remove and redo on a part that will get lot of wear and tear. Downside is it’s not easy to wrap those curves cleanly on the front lip, especially if you have no experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mine was done by the dealer off site (yeah, weird they don't have their own paint shop) with OEM paint. Has worn the same as the rest of the front end. Typical rock dings etc...

Reactions: BrotherAli

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,255 Posts
I put mine on (baysonr) without painting first. It came semi gloss and in pretty good condition. I planned on painting it but I opted to just leave it since it looked fine, especially since I have a touring which has a matte grill. Vinyl is probably more durable than a rattle can paint job unless you’re doing a ton of coats with a decent clear coat (like that 2k). Vinyl is also much easier to remove and redo on a part that will get lot of wear and tear. Downside is it’s not easy to wrap those curves cleanly on the front lip, especially if you have no experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It will look good in black or white. The darker colour will be more forgiving with damage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts