2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started changing all brake pads on our 2008 Mazda 3 2.3L with less than 80k miles on it last weekend. I started from rear passenger side, and used a C-clamp that I should not have done. I was able to push the caliper piston back but felt strange. I then went online, learned that I just made a mistake, and purchased a set of OMT disc brake pad and caliper service tool kit. I used the OMT force screw to push and rotate the rear driver side caliper piston back easily and changed the brake pads. I also replaced the front brake pads as usual.

Wanting to know if I had really damaged the rear passenger side caliper, I used a needle-nose pliers to unscrew the piston. The piston rotated and came out smoothly. I then tried the OMT force screw to rotate and push the piston in. The piston could be rotated easily but not retracting.
I decided to replace a re-manufactured caliper. However, I did not know how to get the parking brake cable slide off a sitting hole on the caliper. One youtuber stated he sprayed WD40 and twisted hard on the cable to get it through the hole.

A local repair shop said they could fix the caliper and put the brake pads on in an hour. So I had my car towed to their shop. After the fix, they would not explain how they fixed it and the hand brake lever could be pulled up all the way. The shop owner said it was because the parking cable stretched. The brake pedal felt soft while I was on the shop's parking lot. I drove home cautiously. The spongy brake pedal feeling not as obviously gradually.

Trying to figuring out the hand brake lever problem, I jacked up the rear side and pulled the hand brake lever up till the rear passenger side tire cannot be rotated by hand. At the same condition, I could rotate the rear driver tire easily. If the rear passenger side parking cable stretched and longer, why I can rotate the rear drive side tire but not rear passenger tire?

As far as I know the hand brake lever should be between 1 to 6 clicks. Before I can lower clicks to 6, the rear passenger tire already firmly “locked.” How can I do?

I then released the parking brake cable under the center console so that both sides had no tension. The rear passenger side brake pads still touched their rotor lightly while I could see a gap between the rear driver side brake pads and their rotor. I am not sure how to reach the equalizer linkage under the center console yet. Does anyone know the problem?

How do I know if the rear passenger caliper has been fixed?
Is the ABS still okay?
Thanks for reading

·
Registered
194 Posts
There are several red flags with your post:
  • The shop refuses to answer your question
  • The brakes are spongy
  • The parking brake mechanism is not operating properly
Is this a general car repair place or a Mazda dealership? I'd be demanding properly functioning brakes as well as an explanation of the service performed. If the manager refuses, document everything (keep receipts), find a reputable repair place to fix things properly, and take the first shop to small claims court.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'd take it back, and ask what it takes to put it back to working condition.

BTW, your issues are, you need to bleed your brakes, and the parking brake cable reinstall is simply a pull the caliper off and twist it so you can install the cable and then put it back on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts