2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2015 mazda3i automatic, 80k miles.

so i was away for a month.
came back, started car and stupidly drove it immediately instead of letting it idle so fluids would replenish into the right places.

luckily i was in my garage and drove down the long, narrow, steep driveway slowly.

1) everytime i hit the brakes while going down the steep driveway, it sounded like a muffled car horn blowing.
2) driving it slowly around the block, it sounded like i had a flat tire. i checked the tires and none looked anywhere close to flat.

i found parking on my street and wont be driving it again till tomorrow.

in the 80k miles i've driven this car, i've never heard of these noises before.
just wondering if anyone knew what these noises mean?

should i be concerned?
???

·
Registered
286 Posts
Check your tire pressures and make sure they're good and then get her on the highway for awhile so they return to the proper shape. What you're feeling are flat spots.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Could be flat spotting and also rust on the roters as said before. Some info on flat spotting.

Flat-spotting can be temporary (the tire will round out as driving warms it up) or in the most severe cases, permanent (in which the tire's ride quality is effectively destroyed). A flat-spot's severity is often a function of the tire size, internal structure, load, ambient temperature and time spent stationary.

Low aspect ratio tires have less sidewall flex due to their short sidewalls and much of their load carrying capacity is absorbed by the deflection of their wide footprints.

The tread compounds and firm, nylon reinforced internal constructions used on high performance and high speed-rated tires are more susceptible to flatspotting.

Heavy loads and too little air pressure in the tires (underinflation) will allow them to deflect more where they come into contact with the ground. This allows even more deflection, increasing the severity of the flatspotting.

Cold ambient temperatures make rubber compounds stiffer, increasing their tendency to flatspot.

The longer tires remain stationary, the better they remember the position in which they were last parked. Tires on vehicles stored on the ground for many months can be permanently flat-spotted.

·
Registered
16 Posts
1) is probably just rust. It'll come off if you brake a few times.
2) The tires probably settled with small "flat" where they were resting on the tarmac. It'll even out by driving a little bit.
I think @Arakon nailed it.

The sound is from rust on the rotors. If you looked at them before you drove it after you got back you would probably have seen it. I've found this to be quite normal over the years when I've let a car sit outside for a while. You may still see it now, but you may also have worn off quite a bit by the small bit of driving you've done so far, but there will likely still be rust on the inner surface of the brake pads that just needs to be worn off.

And if you are feeling a small flat spot, that is also not too uncommon after letting the car sit for a while.

I would just drive the car around town for a while and see how it goes. Take it easy on the brakes at first, and in case they are not 100% up to snuff yet. My bet is that they will settle in fairly quickly and you'll be back to normal shortly. That has been my experience in the past.

Best of luck with it 314 :thumbup1 1:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Rdrokit,

I remember the old bias-ply tires were pretty susceptible to flat-spotting, but I thought modern radial tires were fairly immune. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what the OP is experiencing, but I think with radial tires they just need to heat up once and should be good to go. One month is not a super long time.

I've read that if you want to park a car for a very long time that you should put it up on blocks for the sake of the tires. To me this means several months.

Do you happen to work at an HDD assembly site in Korat?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Rdrokit,

I remember the old bias-ply tires were pretty susceptible to flat-spotting, but I thought modern radial tires were fairly immune. There is no doubt in my mind that this is what the OP is experiencing, but I think with radial tires they just need to heat up once and should be good to go. One month is not a super long time.

I've read that if you want to park a car for a very long time that you should put it up on blocks for the sake of the tires. To me this means several months.

Do you happen to work at an HDD assembly site in Korat?
Not only elevate the vehicle, but put jack stands under the A-arms (front and rear) to prevent the suspension from stretching. Long term hanging like that is not good for the springs, struts, or bushings.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thx all!
once i hit the hwy, the flat tire sound immediately went away

1 - 9 of 9 Posts