2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked around before I could ask this question but is there an aftermarket intake mani for the 2.5L Mz3? All i found where for the 2.0 or 2.3. Idk if I missed it or they dont have one at all.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I looked around before I could ask this question but is there an aftermarket intake mani for the 2.5L Mz3? All i found where for the 2.0 or 2.3. Idk if I missed it or they dont have one at all.

There isn't a lot of volume out there for the 2.5 MZ3 to make a good demand on intake manifolds. There might be for the new skyactives but even then on any new car it usually takes about 3 years for the aftermarket on engines to catch up.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There isn't a lot of volume out there for the 2.5 MZ3 to make a good demand on intake manifolds. There might be for the new skyactives but even then on any new car it usually takes about 3 years for the aftermarket on engines to catch up.
Crap really? I mean its been 3 years for me since I have a 2011 so I would think someone already made a prototype or something?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Crap really? I mean its been 3 years for me since I have a 2011 so I would think someone already made a prototype or something?
I think he's saying that there aren't many 2.5s out there to begin with. They only made the engine for a few years, there isn't a huge demand for aftermarket parts. This is what I have, unfortunately, seen to be true since I've owned the car (I also have an '11). It seems to me that with most bolt ons available you're still going to be under 200 whp even with a tune.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I think he's saying that there aren't many 2.5s out there to begin with. They only made the engine for a few years, there isn't a huge demand for aftermarket parts. This is what I have, unfortunately, seen to be true since I've owned the car (I also have an '11). It seems to me that with most bolt ons available you're still going to be under 200 whp even with a tune.
Truth, cars like the Ford focus have huge volumes of customers so the time spent on R&D, flow testing, dyno testing, all pays back eventually. Cars like the Mazda3 with lower production volumes can get parts but it all typically starts with the first 15-20 customers to get something made for the car at a reasonable price. Otherwise, the first 10 are made at a pretty high cost. A typical high quality intake manifold is going to run at least 700-1500 dollars. With the low volume it becomes a custom 1 off job which means about 1500-2500 dollars.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is anyone with a 2.5 even making enough power to warrant a different manifold?
Exactly!

The stock intake will handle well over 325 on a 2.5 atmo race engine, so why waste the time and money?

Your far better off to change the cams and run a good exhaust manifold. And yes there are good cam options for the 2.0/2.3/2.5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts