2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a sequence of events over this past month which I believe might be related but I don't not have the mechanical knowledge to properly diagnose the problem.

It all started when my old battery went out. When I was getting a jump to go get the battery changed, I did notice some strange noise that sounded like a leak, or it could've been the compressor fan spooling.

After that battery change, my AC started to not function normally. It would get cold while I'm driving and sometimes when idling but usually it'll turn warm when idling and even sometimes while driving.

I went to some mechanic for the AC and one guy said the compressor isn't rotating and the second mechanic said it's working just fine. He changed a gasket and added Freon and replaced a faulty little 2-4mm plug where they add the Freon and test the system.

Worked fine for half a day and then it went back to warm when idling.

Today, I'm driving and I get a red flashing engine temp indicator warning. The interface tells me to slow the car down or pullover till the temps decrease. I've done it but it has returned to flash red now on 4 different occasions.

I live in a very hot country but I've had this car for 7 years now and It's never happened before.

I do not trust mechanics here. They are largely incompetent and would replace an entire unit to rather than diagnose the problem to see if it's just a simple fix. More money for them I guess.

I'm asking for some help for steps I can do to find out the problem. Or at least steps for things to look for so I know what I'm doing or talking about when I'm at the mechanics.

Thanks in advance, people.

2015 Mazda 3 Hatch and I love this car.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you don’t trust mechanic you have to learn on your own.
The problem is driving an overheating car is damaging the engine. So you don’t have much time.
first thing make sure there is coolant in the system. If it’s leaking keep it topped off until you learn enough to find and repair the leak.
You may have already done permanent damage to the engine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would keep a close eye on the coolant and switch out the thermostat Since its easy to do and inexpensive. As for the ac, I would check for any leaks make sure you’re not loosing any freon and make sure all the connections to the compressor are tight. I wouldn’t recommend driving the car at all until you figure out the overheating issue you don’t want to blow out a head gasket

·
Registered
Mazda3 Sport GT Polymetal over Garnet
43 Posts
When the mechanic made repairs and a refrigerant top up (not Freon, freon is R12, R22), they should have added fluorescent dye to the system to be able to locate any leaks. They should have recommended you run the car and AC for a few days and return before any driving in heavy rain in order to inspect all accessible connections and components in the system with a black light source to find any leaks. Now, you'll have to pay for another refill if they check the system pressure and its found to be low again. You can't see refrigerant leaks, as it vaporizes when it hits atmospheric pressure. The dye leaves a marker behind where the refrigerant drives it out of the system. Any other diagnostic method for leaks is just guesswork.

My Mazda6 2.3L coolant temps would actually run lower in hot weather when the AC was running due to the 2nd fan only coming on when AC is on. If your AC is down and you live in a hot climate, that could be the source of the overheating. For sure, as other replies have said, addressing the overheating is the #1 concern.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts