2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Mazda 3 Hatchback sGT...

This has just happened a few times recently, once for me some days ago and twice for my wife today. Start the car and the AFS light stays on steady and the Sport Mode light is on. Both can be turned off and it stays that way. I seem to recall that the one time it happened to me the HUD went up, then down then up again.

Any thoughts on what to watch for, test, etc.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Happened again when I went out last night, but not at all today. The HUD did go down an up again so it seems like a possible electrical disruption.

I just checked with my OBDLink... no trouble codes.

I also saw something last night that I find very bizarre. For the four and a half years I've had the car, when I want to warm up quickly I would spin the climate control dial until it maxed out at 72 degrees. Suddenly now it is maxing out at 90 degrees. What could explain that?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bringing this up again in case anyone has an idea of what to check.

The problem seems to occur only when the car is cold, but not every time. Upon starting, the symptoms are...
1. engine cranking seems slow/sluggish, but still starts.
2. the HUD doesn't complete go up, it goes back down and then goes up fully
3. The AFS light comes on
4. Sport mode light comes on, but not every time this occurs
5. A new one happened last night... the tach needle quickly went all the way up (8000) and back down (fortunately not reflecting engine speed)

All this happens in a second or so and then it runs just fine, although the change to AFS and Sport Mode stay until I manually change it back.

I was not able to detect any trouble codes from the OBDLink.

I was wondering if a weak battery could be a cause, although that only seems to explain the sluggishness of the cranking. The car is just 5 years old with 50K miles. And in California so not the kind of climate that can be bad on a battery.

Any thoughts? I have one more year on the extended warranty so that gives me some time. If it becomes easily replicated I can take it in but for now it's hit or miss as to whether it will happen.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One more try in case someone can provide some insight.

Today the car was harder to start after not being driven for 5 days. I found if I just held the button in longer it would start and then it was quicker to start after it was warmed up.

I connected the OBDLink to check voltages. As soon as the engine starts, the voltages show between 13.7 and 14 volts. If I turn off the engine but leave power to the OBDLink, it will show about 12+ volts and then when I crack the engine it drops down to values between maybe 7+ to 9+ volts but just for a second while the starter is engaged, then it's right up to about 13.7 again.

Can someone tell me if this is normal or if this may be a battery starting to fail? There are no trouble codes detected by the OBDLink.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, MeteorGray. I made an appointment to get a new battery tomorrow morning. I discussed the issues with a gearhead friend and we concluded that with the drop in voltage noted during cranking it is most likely the battery. What with the virus situation, things are not great in the SF area for moving around so I plan to just get this behind me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts