2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone else have a phobia about driving to the grocery store? This phobia may develop before you incur your first scratch, scrape, or dent. Especially with a new car, who wants to have some swiper ding your car with a shopping cart!

Consequently I went to Wal Mart today on my motor scooter, hauling 5 Arrowhead 101oz bottles and a bag of groceries whilst the M3i stayed safely protected in the garage. Just Afraid to Zoom to certain places...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Yeah, you're not alone. If I stop somewhere, I park way out in no mans land and I try to park next to two medians of some kind, to help make sure carts don't just roll in to my car. My wife hates it. LOL

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah, you're not alone. If I stop somewhere, I park way out in no mans land and I try to park next to two medians of some kind, to help make sure carts don't just roll in to my car. My wife hates it. LOL
In my last Porsche, the car was hit twice IN PARKING LOTS. Both times, I parked the car way out and both times it was backed into by trucks. There is no safe location and these were far worse than scratches. One of the repairs ran $9K.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I got my first tiny stone chip on the way home from the dealer the night I picked up my car. I heard something hit it (loudly!) when driving across the PA Turnpike and walked around the car when I got home. Well I found it. It's really really small but it's there. That might be a new record for me for 'first scratch/chip.' :p

Some touch up paint and a toothpick will fix it.

But yeah I empathize with your desire to keep it showroom new as long as possible. I'm careful where I park at work, the gym, shopping centers, etc. but eventually stuff will happen to it unfortunately (it's scary how thoughtless some people are -- or how poorly many people drive).

·
Registered
49 Posts
i'm the same way. i also stay away from old, beat-up cars. my logic is that they don't care about their car so they might just swing the door open wide and hard. lol.

but eventually you have to drive the car. just control your paranoia and make smart parking decisions, hah

Reactions: danyn

·
Registered
574 Posts
i'm the same way. i also stay away from old, beat-up cars. my logic is that they don't care about their car so they might just swing the door open wide and hard. lol.

but eventually you have to drive the car. just control your paranoia and make smart parking decisions, hah
Yes, and MINI VANS! Or any car that has the stick figure family or car seat in the back. Even if it's a nice car, doesn't mean the kids understand to not kick the doors open as hard as they can.

If I end up parking close to cars/vans like that or oversized trucks, I take pics of the vehicle and license plates... just in case. I had an old Porsche and some yay-hoo did a number on the rear quarter panel in a parking lot, just a couple weeks after I had it repainted. So, I guess now I'm overly paranoid.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If I end up parking close to cars/vans like that or oversized trucks, I take pics of the vehicle and license plates... just in case. I had an old Porsche and some yay-hoo did a number on the rear quarter panel in a parking lot, just a couple weeks after I had it repainted. So, I guess now I'm overly paranoid.
haha! i am guilty of taking pics of the cars next to mine. the struggle! :taz:

Reactions: JerryO81

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm with you there - we were at the grocery store in mine last week - and I was actually sitting in the car when a lady pulled in beside me and whacked her door into the side of mine. I was dark and wet, and there didn't appear to be any damage, but later on when it was light and dry, I can see a 3 inch x 1/2 in scuff in the paint on the passenger door. I haven't decided if I should try to buff it out, or go to the insurance company (I have her plate number). Don't want to make it worse, trying to fix it.

The year before we were in the brand new CX-5 on the ferry, and the kid in the car beside us whacked the door into the side of the car. Did the same type scuffing, but didn't damage the actual paint. When I got out to check, the mom said "oh, did he actually hit your car? He said he did, but I didn't think he did"

·
Registered
476 Posts
I always park away from everyone, but it never fails, I come out and there's cars parked around me! Must be the beauty of the mz3 that attracts them, because there's sure a lot of empty parking places closer that they could have picked.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I park as far away as possible and then park at the end of a row and get as close as possible to the curb hoping that it will give me that little extra buffer to keep the knuckelheads from getting close to my baby.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts