2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First time posting here!
I was considering swapping out the stock intake for this AFE Takeda intake seen here: Takeda Stage-2 Cold Air Intake System w/Pro DRY S Filter

I know cold air and short-rams have their respective issue with water and heat respectively. However this seems like the ideal alternative other than using a drop-in filter. According to the description, with the hood closed it seals the intake in its housing to prevent drawing in the hot air from the engine, and still draws air in from the front like a stock, but with increased flow. I haven't been able to find any Gen3 reviews or videos on it. It's a bit on the expensive side though, about $330 USD or $400+CAD before tax. Would love to hear some opinions on this!

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
Expensive bling. The claims are ludicrous at best. 66% increase is not even close to possible. The OEM box has been shown to be at least as good as any aftermarket intake on the Mazda 3. Which engine is in the car?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Expensive bling. The claims are ludicrous at best. 66% increase is not even close to possible. The OEM box has been shown to be at least as good as any aftermarket intake on the Mazda 3. Which engine is in the car?
I agree, the claimed results are never real-word accurate especially if it's a daily driver. This is for a 2.0L.

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
The OEM box isn't restrictive at all, neither is the OEM paper filter. Those flow claims are based on what is possible to force through the filter at a certain pressure. The actual flow required is far lower. Any air filter will by design flow much more than the engine can draw in. Thats how they last for thousands of miles. If the filter could only flow enough air to supply the engine and no more even when clean and new, engine performance would start degrading at day one and filter replacement would be a monthly thing....
Save your money. $330 will pay for the better part of a good tune from OVT.

·
Registered
334 Posts
i put $60 worth of heat reflective tape on my stock airbox (slows heatsoak), removed the charcoal filter, and put the rest of the savings into a OVtune

·
Registered
820 Posts
Last time I looked on my ScanGauge, the incoming air was the same temperature as ambient air when driving on the highway. That's with the stock airbox and filter. Can't get better than that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i put $60 worth of heat reflective tape on my stock airbox (slows heatsoak), removed the charcoal filter, and put the rest of the savings into a OVtune
[/QUOTE
You got any before or after results? I got a roll of tape just for that purpose, but never got around to do it. (for the reflective tape)

·
Registered
334 Posts
You got any before or after results? I got a roll of tape just for that purpose, but never got around to do it. (for the reflective tape)
unfortunately i dont have any before and after results.
however, the theory is sound (though we're dealing with mostly convection heat rather than radiant heat) and it's hella bling with the hood open :D

·
Super Moderator
6,557 Posts
Yes it can make a difference. IATs don't rise nearly as fast or as high when in slow traffic.

Thermaflect sheeting on the outside
Aluminum bubble insulation on the inside

Sealing around the intake

Drawing cold air from the grille area

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have this intake. Didn't add any horsepower but it revs higher for some reason before shifting when not in sport. The plug on the side of the airbox can be removed to pipe in air from front or wheel well. Sounds good though!

would have saved a ton if I knew about pedal commander before the catback and CAI. Live and learn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts