2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
842 Posts
arathol I am really sorry dude but you dont read what I say very clearly. :crying2: That said try slow down and re-read my response.:smile2: OK
I think if you do you will better understand EXACTLY what I said and did not say.:punk:

·
Super Moderator
6,529 Posts
Lets try it like this-

I think some may be really surprised if they saw IAT (Intake Air Temperature) readings over a range of engine operation with and without the CAI on a NA (Normally aspirated )Mazda engine. :wink2:
Perhaps if you were to explain why we would be surprised?
It might surprise you to find out that some here won't be.

While I would say that most CAIs (cold air intake) on an NA engine will increase the total CFM over a OEM airbox this is not necessarily to say that unless power increase at WOT (Wide open Throttle =floored) is what the intended value to use a CAI it may simply be a better investment to get a improved air filter (i.e. K&N) replacement or change the air filter more often in the stock air box.

A side NOTE:
K&N air filters are design to be cleaned and oil re-applied to be effective at filtering and also so you get the LifeTime Warranty. The specific recommended filter oil has no effect at lowering the engine efficiency or restricting air flow if applied as per the manufactures application guide.
This is just random information that was maybe relevant for cars 10 or 20 years ago when you actually could get 20 hp by changing the intake on a old Chevy V8. Nothing there is really specific or even relevant to the SkyActiv motor. Turns out the engineers at Mazda are not as clueless as some seem to think. These engines are made to be as efficient as possible with not a lot left for improvements.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Sorry to other members I know this is going off topic and after this response I will not respond again in this thread.:frown2:
My choice of a CAI will be of my own design so perhaps it is not useful or helpful to members for me to be responding regarding the the use or not of an AEM
I will say that I have used K&N for decades and never once had one fail or harm,restrict or other wise reduce the engines output in any way. Heck I even had a K&N filter on my Engine DYNO in my machine shop. :grin2:
These engines are made to be as efficient as possible with not a lot left for improvements.
This statement is not altogether accurate for those who are experienced in Performance World. While I (others as well) see opportunities others see limitations. :nerd:

Some of my response are basic and generalized not always specific. If I mean them to be I will give more information. Let me give an example of clarity. Most CAI do have a higher CFM then most OEM air boxes they are replacing. I NEVER mentioned anything about the engines capability regarding the CFM in this thread.
The use of improved aftermarket air filters generally will outperform most OEM production filters in many aspect. Not all has to do with flow rating. BTW it is next to impossible to find the complete design and engineering specifications of most OEM filters unless they are manufactured by a known aftermarket company. And then maybe? When you do find some information regarding the specifications most of that information is general and not operational.

OK I outta this thread......enjoy! :thumbup 1:

·
Super Moderator
6,529 Posts
This statement is not altogether accurate for those who are experienced in Performance World. While I (others as well) see opportunities others see limitations. :nerd:
Really? Thats not entirely accurate either. The only way to get any worthwhile gains from the SA engine is an ECU tune. Even then, 20 hp, maybe 30, is about what you get. Anything else requires major surgery. Its also a fact that you can't really do a huge power build on a SA engine as it does have limitations. Forced induction is problematic as there is little to no aftermarket support for the ECU in these cars to run a turbo or supercharger.

Most CAI do have a higher CFM then most OEM air boxes they are replacing. I NEVER mentioned anything about the engines capability regarding the CFM in this thread.
You said a CAI will increase CFM over factory intakes
While I would say that most CAIs (cold air intake) on an NA engine will increase the total CFM over a OEM airbox
My MAF sensor says otherwise.

This is all theory, and is a broad generality that is a holdover from decades past where engines were not as efficient as they could be and intakes were quite restrictive. In reality the SA intake only needs to flow as much as the engine can draw. If its too large the MAF sensor will not read correctly because the flow properties will change. As a result the A/F ratio will be incorrect, the engine won't run well and MIL codes will be generated. How much air the engine can draw vs the flow capability of the intake is the important thing here, not the maximum total volume of air the intake can move.
Again, Mazda didn't leave much room for improvement here. Everything has a specific purpose and is built to a minimum for lightness, nothing is there that doesn't need to be, and what is there is designed for maximum efficiency.

I will say that I have used K&N for decades and never once had one fail or harm,restrict or other wise reduce the engines output in any way.
Its pretty well known that oiled filters have fouled sensors in Mazda engines in the past. Thats why they are not recommended for use in MX-5 motors by those who know better.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts