2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I'm looking at a used black 2015 i-GT hatchback manual with 39k miles on it. It seems to be in fair to good condition with some paint scratches on the rear left bumper, some small coffee stains on the roof, and the leather on the wheel at the 9 o'clock position is worn down. Didn't get a picture of the scratches, but I got the wheel.

Other than that it seems ok. Did a quick google search of the VIN and it seems clean, but I haven't seen a full Carfax yet. Planning to head back this weekend to do a more thorough inspection and check for anything wrong. It's priced at $15,998 and on the way out, the salesman offered to knock off $1000 to complete the deal right there. For all you experts who know a lot about the Mazda3, is this a really good deal or should I be suspicious.

P.S. If this belongs somewhere else please let me know. Read the forum rules and did a search but didn't find anything exactly like my situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
184 Posts
When new, its msrp was about $24000 for the hb manual gt. $1500 was pretty typical, so $22,500 was probably the market price.

$7,500 off for a 2 year old car with 39k seems ok to me, since it still has powertrain warranty left.

are they offering warranty?

Is it Mazda dealer?

Have you driven it and does the clutch feel ok? mazda has pretty low initial catch point, so if it's not grabbing early, then it might have more wear than 39k suggest.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What the heck did they do to the steering wheel???? My 2014 had 34k miles on it and wheel except for a couple of scuff marks is near mint. That would totally bother me, 1) because it's in my direct sight line and 2) you'll feel it under your hands all the time!. Price seems OK, but I would ask to have the steering wheel replaced at no costs.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just a few months ago I bought a 2015 mazda 3 manual hatchback with 18,800 miles on it for $15,400. Just to give a frame of reference.
I would try to negotiate with them to see if they can't keep the price, but fix all of the problems. I would suggest that before you go to them for that. Get written estimates from garages as to how much it would cost them to do the repairs. That way, if the seller refused to fix it for you. Show them the estimates and have them take that much off the price so that you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When new, its msrp was about $24000 for the hb manual gt. $1500 was pretty typical, so $22,500 was probably the market price.

$7,500 off for a 2 year old car with 39k seems ok to me, since it still has powertrain warranty left.

are they offering warranty?

Is it Mazda dealer?

Have you driven it and does the clutch feel ok? mazda has pretty low initial catch point, so if it's not grabbing early, then it might have more wear than 39k suggest.
Not a mazda dealer and the clutch felt fine to me. Planning to have a mechanic do a full inspection on the car though. As for the warranty, if I remember correctly they're offering one at a price but I'll see again when I go back.

What the heck did they do to the steering wheel???? My 2014 had 34k miles on it and wheel except for a couple of scuff marks is near mint. That would totally bother me, 1) because it's in my direct sight line and 2) you'll feel it under your hands all the time!. Price seems OK, but I would ask to have the steering wheel replaced at no costs.
Haha, I have absolutely no idea what the previous owner did to that wheel

Just a few months ago I bought a 2015 mazda 3 manual hatchback with 18,800 miles on it for $15,400. Just to give a frame of reference.
I would try to negotiate with them to see if they can't keep the price, but fix all of the problems. I would suggest that before you go to them for that. Get written estimates from garages as to how much it would cost them to do the repairs. That way, if the seller refused to fix it for you. Show them the estimates and have them take that much off the price so that you can get it fixed.
Will do with getting those estimates from a garage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think it's an okay deal... $15k is normal. I have a 2015 sGT and just hit 40k miles... still feels like new, so don't let the mileage scare you. It's a beautiful car though, and the minor cosmetic details would bug me... worn down steering wheel? Lol. Then I would also look around for the sGT model... the 18" wheels and LED lighting package makes a HUGE cosmetic difference. I'm sure you can find some 2014 sGT lease returns that have around the same mileage. Plus the sGT features.

·
pro.ficient
4 Posts
I suggest, find 2015 s Touring or Touring w 2.5 engine, which is assembled in Japan vs i 2.0, which is assembled in Mexico. You can find 15 M3 s T w about 40kmi for ask about $17K-$17.5K. And this is a MUCH better car, than what you are considering. Also think LONGER term. You may invest extra $1K-$1.5K for a better and the right car at the start and use it for a longer period of time vs locking yourself for a lower car.

·
Registered
327 Posts
That wheel would turn me off right away - unless OEM replacement is worked into the deal and that's the only thing weird about it. It's just such a weird amount of damage for the age / mileage. Only thing I can think of is a diamond ring worn upside down by someone who didn't give a rats rear end after the first mark in the wheel was noticed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts