2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
It would have been different if this had happened a few months after I bought the car, but straight out of the dealer it was bad, and it's just plain dangerous to drive it the way it is, and it should NEVER have made it to the dealer like this....and I don't want anything to do with it.

Very frustrating....
Not only that, the dealership is required to do a PDI inspection which includes a test drive, so the tech should also be slapped for missing something dangerous during a test drive. Which generally means the tech drove it thru the lot and called that his "test drive" which is just as bad as the factory letting it leave in this condition. Now, just for the sake of saying it, the problem could have been a result of bad transport from the factory to the dealership, it happens, but the dealership tech doing the PDI process is responsible for catching such issues.

Reactions: jawolken
With "the factory guy" on the case, it should be fixed promptly. This problem is above the pay grade of the dealership folks. I assume the factory is very interested in finding and fixing this serious driving fault.

I believe the biggest change you have to adjust to is the new electric steering system which allowed to increase the caster to around 3 degrees. I initially thought as you did but once you adjust to the steering response it will become very natural. It is sensitive to the tire pressure also, and sidewinds do affect it.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Monitor tire wear, as it may have encountered a pothole which affected the alignment. I doubt it would be the new oe tires as they are checked and factory balanced.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

You are NOT ALONE. I have a 2017 3, and we have the SAME issue. I bought the car for the wife as her office is 40 miles from home and wanted a high MPG car. One evening she mentions to me that it's "white knuckle" driving that care at 70 - 75." I said "why?" She replied "it's all over the road".

I took the car the next day and I have NEVER felt anything like it. It darts left, it darts right, sometimes it feels like the front end and rear end are going two different directions. We pushed on and at 5K miles told the service manager. He did the basics, alignment check, tire pressure, look for loose parts, etc. At the end he said "We didn't find anything".

At 10 K miles we took it in again and left it for 3 weeks. They experienced this phenomena. So they took out another model 3 and IT DID THE SAME THING. They called the regional rep, and asked if anyone else had been complaining of this, and he said no, but he'd "check". His response to the service manager was "it's the character of the car"... WHAT?? Your car's character is to wander from side to side on perfectly level roads with no steering input?? What horse hockey that is.

I had been thinking it was the tires, but the model 3 they say they felt the same issue with had different tires on it. I agree with the original poster, there's something wrong with these cars at high speed. Up to say, 60 you'd never notice a thing. At 70 it's doing its watusi dance. at 75+, you're in fear of your life.

I hate the idea of a legal battle, but like the original poster, "this car ain't right"

I have a 2017 and not experienced one bit of highway or around town driving “wandering.” I have driven it up to 80 MPH and it was highly stable at that speed. My car stays where I point it on level straight roads, tracks terrifically through corners as I have set the steering wheel to do.

There is something wrong with those cars that are experiencing severe wandering, whether it is bad tires, bend wheels, improper tire pressures, alignment, suspension or whatever, it needs to be fixed by Mazda. ‘

Politely tell you dealer you will not accept the car as is, and ask for an immediate appointment with the person above the regional rep.

You are NOT ALONE. I have a 2017 3, and we have the SAME issue. I bought the car for the wife as her office is 40 miles from home and wanted a high MPG car. One evening she mentions to me that it's "white knuckle" driving that care at 70 - 75." I said "why?" She replied "it's all over the road".

I took the car the next day and I have NEVER felt anything like it. It darts left, it darts right, sometimes it feels like the front end and rear end are going two different directions. We pushed on and at 5K miles told the service manager. He did the basics, alignment check, tire pressure, look for loose parts, etc. At the end he said "We didn't find anything".

At 10 K miles we took it in again and left it for 3 weeks. They experienced this phenomena. So they took out another model 3 and IT DID THE SAME THING. They called the regional rep, and asked if anyone else had been complaining of this, and he said no, but he'd "check". His response to the service manager was "it's the character of the car"... WHAT?? Your car's character is to wander from side to side on perfectly level roads with no steering input?? What horse hockey that is.

I had been thinking it was the tires, but the model 3 they say they felt the same issue with had different tires on it. I agree with the original poster, there's something wrong with these cars at high speed. Up to say, 60 you'd never notice a thing. At 70 it's doing its watusi dance. at 75+, you're in fear of your life.

I hate the idea of a legal battle, but like the original poster, "this car ain't right"
I agree, mine doesn't do that at all, I wonder if it's a software problem with the steering system and/or G-Vectoring. Im still on oem dunlops which are near the wear bars from autocross use. The only time I felt anything near that was driving at those speeds on loose gravel with an upgraded rear swaybar on the stiffest setting which is about 3x what the oem bar is. Even then it was still completely controllable and that's after doing basically everything wrong for a car setup on loose gravel, stiffer rear swaybar, crappy tires near wear bars, high speeds, it doesn't get much worse than that unless your really trying to crash a car. I am willing to bet there is a solution, probably something so simple that its silly for them to have missed it so far. I would press for that regional rep to come down and drive your vehicle for themselves and see how horrible it is because there is no excuse for it to be acting the way your describing and that means there is a significant flaw somewhere.

Reactions: Road Trip
Been waiting to make this second post, for our yesterday’s, significant road trip through a part of the country that is known for significant winds and cross winds It is also very hilly and curvy. We saw tractor trailers and even cars been wind-effected, but we had no issues in our car. [Ours is a 2017 3 GT hatch with 18” wheels.]

Steering was straight and true the entire trip (except for one, 1 mile area, that has a very narrow valley coming in from the side near the the top of a long mountain pass).

Again, there has got to be something wrong with those whose cars are not steering easily and true.

I, too, have a 2017 M3GT and have done 3,000 miles on the OEM 18" wheels and stock tyres (Dunlops?) including a few, brief stints over 100mph (closed course, professional driver, etc.). The car is solid in a straight line, and very light on it's feet (not quite twitchy) when frolicking through the mountain roads here in CO. The ONLY wandering I have felt was over rain grooved (with the flow of traffic) sections of concrete highway. Nothing I would describe as dangerous or white knuckled.

NOTE: I may be less sensitive to these things due to being an avid motorcyclist.

~Ex

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.