2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
It's not just 15 percent more braking power. These cars actually put more emphasis on the rear than the front. Hence the reason, I've got 180k and I still have the original front brakes and rotors while I've replaced the rear twice.

I don’t think that’s true - as far as I understand there’s a 60-40 front to back brake balance.

If more brake power would be used on the rear, then how do you explain the much larger front discs and calipers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Actually it's more than that. Thermal mass is key, which is proportional to the area (assuming the rest is exactly the same), which is more like 30% more. Larger diameter usually means wider too, so that's extra thermal mass. Larger rotors are a great way to get a good brake upgrade, assuming weight doesn't get out of hand.

Looks aside, I don’t think there’s much of a reason to upgrade the rear brakes.

If anything, you’d be better off replacing the front to a larger kit from another Mazda - but I’m not sure how compatible the parts are (I’ve tried to replace the rear with a Mazda 6 setup based on info available on this forum, but the calipers had different brackets and didn’t fit).

My point is also that this swap is not financially worth it - for a few hundreds more you’d get a high end set of calipers (bought as a kit, the pair of AP Racing calipers comes out around £570, compared to almost £1000 if bought separately).

The high initial cost of a BBK is also due to all the other components - see below the actual reply I’ve got from Reyland when thinking of getting the calipers from another seller:

“when working out a kit price we add everything together at cost price, add our margin then add VAT. So you can compare.. Bought individually we charge.. Bells are £250 per pair, brackets are £250 per pair, rotors are £275, disc to bell fixings are £36 & hoses £45. That leaves you £679 left to buy calipers and pads. 9200 calipers are £490 each in red with the VAT!”

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Looks aside, I don’t think there’s much of a reason to upgrade the rear brakes.

If anything, you’d be better off replacing the front to a larger kit from another Mazda - but I’m not sure how compatible the parts are (I’ve tried to replace the rear with a Mazda 6 setup based on info available on this forum, but the calipers had different brackets and didn’t fit).

My point is also that this swap is not financially worth it - for a few hundreds more you’d get a high end set of calipers (bought as a kit, the pair of AP Racing calipers comes out around £570, compared to almost £1000 if bought separately).

The high initial cost of a BBK is also due to all the other components - see below the actual reply I’ve got from Reyland when thinking of getting the calipers from another seller:

“when working out a kit price we add everything together at cost price, add our margin then add VAT. So you can compare.. Bought individually we charge.. Bells are £250 per pair, brackets are £250 per pair, rotors are £275, disc to bell fixings are £36 & hoses £45. That leaves you £679 left to buy calipers and pads. 9200 calipers are £490 each in red with the VAT!”

In what way do the rears not fit. verticle or horizontal? If it's horizontal, bigger bolt and washers is all you need. If it's vertical, then not a big deal. The hard part here is that the mazda6 uses vented vs the cx5 uses solid like the mazda3 so it's gotta have something to absorb that extra space, I'd lean on the wheel bearing needing replacement with it but it would also space out your wheel a little more in the back throwing off the tire spacing and balance of the car.

BTW, the front's should fit.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
In what way do the rears not fit. verticle or horizontal? If it's horizontal, bigger bolt and washers is all you need. If it's vertical, then not a big deal. The hard part here is that the mazda6 uses vented vs the cx5 uses solid like the mazda3 so it's gotta have something to absorb that extra space, I'd lean on the wheel bearing needing replacement with it but it would also space out your wheel a little more in the back throwing off the tire spacing and balance of the car.

BTW, the front's should fit.

I was referring to the rear calipers not fitting. I think their bracket was different, so couldn’t mount them.

I think you can probably try and see if these other parts would fit (and let us know, too! ), though they won’t be significantly improving the brakes as a system.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
156 Posts
21 - 26 of 26 Posts