2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching the forums for a while now, looking for an install guide for adding a push button or rocker switch into one of the blanks left of the steering wheel on a 2014+ Mazda 3. My end goal is the have a power inverter mounted in my trunk so I can charge my Boosted Board while I'm driving around. I don't want the inverter to always have power running to it, draining the battery, and don't want to have to unhook the positive every time I'm not using it. Is there a write up on an OEM switch replacement or one that would fit the slot and offer an on/off capability? Thanks for any and all advice!

·
Registered
109 Posts
It would be much easier to include an inline switch near the inverter itself, versus integrating into the factory location. Those switches are actually logic toggles that feed a microcontroller, and not standard mechanical switches like many cars used to have - welcome to the 21st century automobile industry. You could actually replace one of the blanks with a factory logic switch and design a CMOS circuit with memory to register 0 or 1 to trigger a relay closed on 0 and open the relay on 1, or get a bootleg arduino nano for $2 and write a very simple program to have it work with the factory switch and trigger a relay, but that's a lot of effort for a simple switch. Personally I'd do the mechanical switch near the inverter, simple and takes minutes to install the inverter completely. Get some good marine quality wire and switches, in my experience they are much more durable than standard automotive wire and switches.

I'm not saying it can't be done but if you don't have a lot of experience in fabrication and dealing with plastics, purchase a spare from an OEM supplier (Mazda dealer parts website) in case you make a mistake, or take it to an experienced electrician who will help you for a reasonable price. If you were in SFL I'd be happy to help. You can also learn a lot from youtube.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts