2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up a 2015 Sport hatchback and I'm really anxious to swap out the stock 16 steel wheels. I'm ready to pull the trigger but I just need to find the right wheel. I'd prefer to go with the newer model OEM 18's but they seem to be hard to come by used in my area. There are a couple of guys selling Miata and RX8 wheels on my local craigslist but I can't seem to wrap my head around the offset specs to determine if they'd fit on my car without modification (stock suspension.)

The Miata wheels are 17x7 with 55mm offset from a 2008 Miata Grand Touring
Tires are 205/45/17 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Runflat that are practically brand new. I understand these tires may be too small?? Anyways, price of $600

The RX8 wheels are from an 05 model and from what I understand the wheel itself is 8.5jx18 with an offset of 45. Tires will need to be replaced. Price of $450.

I'd link to the ad but i'm not sure if that would be against the forum rules. So anyways, going on the idea that I have the correct tires mounted, is the offset of either of these wheels going to be a problem? Thanks.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Either of those wheels would fit.

The RX8 wheels are very popular and look very attractive, and have a great look on the 3.

The Miata wheels will look great as well, and are known to be VERY lightweight (always a plus) but have a higher offset, causing them to 'sink into' the car, visually.

There are users on here with both setups, and both look great!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That looks really nice but the local miata wheels have more of a squared off spoke style. I kind of liked the style shown in the picture better. How crazy would it look if I decided to use the tires currently mounted ? 205/45/17

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Posted before I saw the mounted RX8 wheels. I think I might like the RX8 wheels a bit better.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Those are 205/50/17's on @dion328 's white sedan, so it shouldn't be too far off at all.

·
Achtung!
879 Posts
Spacers or anything along those lines would be cosmetic concerns, not requirements.

If you're looking for a more 'flush' or 'stanced' look, than spacers could be added. They're not going to be required to run either of those setups.

Reactions: dpgfla

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I'm in the same situation (riding on 16x6.5 OE steelies and looking to swap them out once I burn through my oem rubber). I've currently got a set of the 17x7 et55 MX5 alloys (only 17.25 lbs each) (which I picked up for only $200) sitting in my basement and am assuming the need for 5-10 mm spacers (to counter that "sink in" effect mentioned by @Loud3).

Anyone know how much those 18-inch RX8 wheels weigh?

·
Registered
78 Posts
god you guys need a drop

1 - 14 of 14 Posts