2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all,

This story starts when I updated to v502 and immediately regretted it. Visteon basically broke the USB audio app if you have a large music library (like I do). I didn't think it would be worse but it was and it's basically unusable. By the way, has anyone else on v502 noticed this? You can't scroll through the folders essentially; it is just so incredibly slow and it still isn't able to get the tag data so I can use the other metadata options. I then started a review of the JS code to see if the problem might be there with the USB audio app. They changed a lot there but it does not appear to be changes that would impact performance. I think it's with the USB media service of the MMUI as I can tell that definitely changed by how the JS requests data from the MMUI.

Since I'm still under warranty I figured I can try a downgrade. First I enabled the failsafe manually via a script. I then threw on a USB drive with the previous version (v59.00.441) and waited. Reinstallation started and things seemed to work but it would get stuck at 98% and then just reboot. It would never complete the installation. I then threw on a USB drive with v502 to see if that would complete the reinstallation which it did complete with v502. I then redownloaded the reinstall.up file for v441 (just as a sanity check) and tried again. Same thing. I then tried the next older version I have (v55.00.760A) which started the reinstall and as it passed 98% I thought SUCCESS! It hit 99% and then the CMU screen just went out and it didn't reboot this time. I thought: oh that didn't look good. And it wasn't good as that bricked the CMU.

I am wondering if something is different with the v502 failsafe over previous failsafes because a lot of folks have reported the failsafe will just grab the first reinstall file it finds and reinstall it (at least with older versions). I don't think I did something wrong based on what I know but I could have. Or the problem was with the CMU itself and a "good" CMU would have downgraded without issue. If there was a problem with the CMU though, why could I reinstall v502 without issue when I enabled the failsafe? I started asking different questions but it didn't change the fact my CMU was still dead.

The happy ending though is that I got the CMU replaced and I was able to request the dealer to not update the CMU. I got a CMU on v55.00.760A which I will update back to v441 but I probably won't update again beyond that version for a long time. To consider any future updates, they have to fix the USB audio app or add some really awesome features that make me give up using the USB audio app entirely.

Assuming that something did indeed change with the failsafe and that resulted in my bricked CMU, I do have ideas on how to downgrade properly. It involves gaining access to the CMU (you still need to be able to run scripts) and flashing the failsafe.up file components first with the version you intend to downgrade to and then enabling the failsafe. However, there could be other things to consider and that is what I ultimately learned here: that I don't know enough. I have a good understanding of the CMU but maybe there is more to it.

I want this story to serve as a warning for anyone venturing down the downgrade path for v502. Be careful and understand the risks. Also, it helps to be within your warranty. Good luck. :)

PS: If anyone on v502 uses the USB audio app, let me know your experience. I have almost 100 GB (probably close to 20K songs) on a USB flash drive and the slowness drove me crazy. Thanks!

·
Registered
245 Posts
502 is locked down and there's no way to roll-back at this point. Check the AIO and firmware threads and you'll see what's up. Maybe someone will figure it out, maybe not.

As for the USB music, mine is stable and fast, but I can tell there is definitely something different in the way the media player accesses the USB drives. Here's a shortened version of what I wrote in a different thread.

I have about 2200 songs (14GB) on a USB stick. When I'm not in the mood for anything specific, I set it to shuffle all songs. Previous firmware versions did a great job and seemed to pick songs randomly from the full list A-Z, but v59.00.502 seems to have broken the shuffle function. Here are examples of the new behavior, and a percentage of how often I observe the system doing it:

1. SHUFFLING WITHIN ONLY A SUBSET OF SONGS, RATHER THAN THE WHOLE DRIVE (50%): For example, I'll get all songs that start with "D." I once got about 8 songs in a row with the word "Down" in the title. Today on my 20 minute commute I got all songs that started with letters between "W" and "Z." They're shuffled, sort of, but rather than pulling from ALL songs on the drive, the player selects a small subset of about 20-30 songs and shuffles them. Eventually, if it goes on long enough, or I skip enough, it will move on to a new subset of songs. So then it starts over with a new subset, so I might get a bunch of songs with titles between "E" and "H."

2. SHUFFLING BETWEEN DISTANT LETTERS (10%): Sort of a subset of the above, sometimes the drive will play about 2 songs that start with one letter, then switch to two songs starting with another letter that's pretty far away in the alphabet, then back and forth for a while. So 2 "D" songs, then 2 "S" songs, then back to "D", then back to "S", and so on for about 10-20 songs. Once again, it's sort of shuffling, but in a predictable way, and it's not choosing songs from the full list.

3. SHUFFLING BETWEEN ONLY A FEW ARTISTS (10%): Sometimes, rather than picking from all songs, it will shuffle between only 2 or 3 artists. A few days ago it played about 20 songs in a row between only AC/DC and Beck. Another time it played nothing but Tom Petty and Tool (now THAT was a jarring experience). It seems to stay with artists within a few letters of the alphabet (only A-B, or only T-U, etc.). This seems to happen for a little while when I put in a new drive with new music. Usually after a couple of drives this behavior ends and it goes to #1 above or #4 below.

4. NORMAL BEHAVIOR (30%): Sometimes it seems to have a good, random shuffle of all songs on the drive. This is how it used to work all the time, but now it's pretty rare.

I can force the system to behave a little better by turning off shuffle, switching to a song far away from what it's currently playing, and then turning shuffle back on. This seems to knock it out of its pattern for a while and forces the system to actually play random songs.
Yeah, so that's weird. No problem actually playing songs or viewing any folders or any metadata, but shuffle is just totally screwy. I doubt that the shuffle function has been changed, but rather there's something deeper down that changes the way data is accessed from the drive. Hopefully it's fixed in future versions. I'm not too worried about it. Even though it doesn't shuffle songs like it used to, the songs are still usually quite different from one to the next, which is all I'm really looking for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
502 is locked down and there's no way to roll-back at this point. Check the AIO and firmware threads and you'll see what's up. Maybe someone will figure it out, maybe not.

As for the USB music, mine is stable and fast, but I can tell there is definitely something different in the way the media player accesses the USB drives. Here's a shortened version of what I wrote in a different thread.

Yeah, so that's weird. No problem actually playing songs or viewing any folders or any metadata, but shuffle is just totally screwy. I doubt that the shuffle function has been changed, but rather there's something deeper down that changes the way data is accessed from the drive. Hopefully it's fixed in future versions. I'm not too worried about it. Even though it doesn't shuffle songs like it used to, the songs are still usually quite different from one to the next, which is all I'm really looking for.
Interesting. I never even got that far in testing v502. The USB audio app has always had problems if you have a lot of music on the drive from my experience. Even pre-v502 I was never been able to access the metadata options you refer to (where you can jump to letter) with my USB drive. If I put in a USB drive with a small number of songs, then I could. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Interesting. I never even got that far in testing v502. The USB audio app has always had problems if you have a lot of music on the drive from my experience. Even pre-v502 I was never been able to access the metadata options you refer to (where you can jump to letter) with my USB drive. If I put in a USB drive with a small number of songs, then I could. Thanks for the reply.
I had some of the problems you mention with the USB audio when I got the car in 2015, but I was originally on v33. Once I got updated it was working pretty well. Like you, 441 worked really well for me. Also, I changed the USB stick I was using and that solved a lot of problems. I previously used a Transcend brand USB2 16GB stick, and it was garbage. It actually failed completely in the car. I had a second one that also failed in my PC. Now I have a Samsung USB3 32GB stick, and it's working well. I think several folks here have posted that Sandisk drives work well too. I like the "nano" sized ones. If you ever have any problems, maybe try a different USB drive. Good luck!

·
Geek
174 Posts
I'm on 502 with running scripts around 50gb videos and music if i recall and everything is working normally. But it would be nice if there is a way to downgrade if needed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Please contact Mazda with your issues - maybe if enough people do they'll start listening. I complained two years ago about how poorly it works with larger collections (v51), and it appears they aren't doing much about it (or are doing the wrong things). It really shouldn't be that hard, but unfortunately their response last time left much to be desired. They basically said use a smaller collection instead of actually trying to fix the issues. I'm an album guy with an organized collection, so I am satisfied with folder browsing only, and can use the list loop and faster paging tweaks for easier navigation on mine, but if those tweaks were locked out like in 502 it'd be nearly useless. Voice search is useless, too. Even if it gets lucky and matches an album, it doesn't play the songs in order when starting that way for some reason.

Mazda Connect Contact Us

·
Registered
2 Posts
Maybe your usb memory is slow or sleazy. I am using 64gb usb memory (team product) and did not encounter a problem

Hi all,

This story starts when I updated to v502 and immediately regretted it. Visteon basically broke the USB audio app if you have a large music library (like I do). I didn't think it would be worse but it was and it's basically unusable. By the way, has anyone else on v502 noticed this? You can't scroll through the folders essentially; it is just so incredibly slow and it still isn't able to get the tag data so I can use the other metadata options. I then started a review of the JS code to see if the problem might be there with the USB audio app. They changed a lot there but it does not appear to be changes that would impact performance. I think it's with the USB media service of the MMUI as I can tell that definitely changed by how the JS requests data from the MMUI.

Since I'm still under warranty I figured I can try a downgrade. First I enabled the failsafe manually via a script. I then threw on a USB drive with the previous version (v59.00.441) and waited. Reinstallation started and things seemed to work but it would get stuck at 98% and then just reboot. It would never complete the installation. I then threw on a USB drive with v502 to see if that would complete the reinstallation which it did complete with v502. I then redownloaded the reinstall.up file for v441 (just as a sanity check) and tried again. Same thing. I then tried the next older version I have (v55.00.760A) which started the reinstall and as it passed 98% I thought SUCCESS! It hit 99% and then the CMU screen just went out and it didn't reboot this time. I thought: oh that didn't look good. And it wasn't good as that bricked the CMU.

I am wondering if something is different with the v502 failsafe over previous failsafes because a lot of folks have reported the failsafe will just grab the first reinstall file it finds and reinstall it (at least with older versions). I don't think I did something wrong based on what I know but I could have. Or the problem was with the CMU itself and a "good" CMU would have downgraded without issue. If there was a problem with the CMU though, why could I reinstall v502 without issue when I enabled the failsafe? I started asking different questions but it didn't change the fact my CMU was still dead.

The happy ending though is that I got the CMU replaced and I was able to request the dealer to not update the CMU. I got a CMU on v55.00.760A which I will update back to v441 but I probably won't update again beyond that version for a long time. To consider any future updates, they have to fix the USB audio app or add some really awesome features that make me give up using the USB audio app entirely.

Assuming that something did indeed change with the failsafe and that resulted in my bricked CMU, I do have ideas on how to downgrade properly. It involves gaining access to the CMU (you still need to be able to run scripts) and flashing the failsafe.up file components first with the version you intend to downgrade to and then enabling the failsafe. However, there could be other things to consider and that is what I ultimately learned here: that I don't know enough. I have a good understanding of the CMU but maybe there is more to it.

I want this story to serve as a warning for anyone venturing down the downgrade path for v502. Be careful and understand the risks. Also, it helps to be within your warranty. Good luck. :)

PS: If anyone on v502 uses the USB audio app, let me know your experience. I have almost 100 GB (probably close to 20K songs) on a USB flash drive and the slowness drove me crazy. Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've been using a SanDisk Cruzer Fit Ultra 128GB USB 3.0 (SDCZ43-128G-G46) with as much as 80+ GB of music on it (mainly FLAC though, so not so much files for such size as could be in MP3), and scrolling in Songs list always stuck for some time after full scroll of a knob, or somewhat around it. So it was a bit frustrating, so I switched to scrolling letters first, then after selecting a letter, I scrolled through the list itself.

The main problem with all this - was that annoying bug with 'Start from first song' (did not resume playback, where it finished) from time to time. Also I had an issue with USB Audio freezing when it came across files with some issues in metatags during initial scan of a flash drive after car start up. I had to spend hours in car with notebook trying to figure out the files that caused the issues, and comparing them with normal files, trying to figure out the issue. At first I thought that it was the amount of files on the stick, or their total size. However after some investigation I found out that it was because of some ID3/FLAC tags in them. I didn't figure out what exactly was wrong in them that caused the CMU to freeze the USB audio app, but I fixed it by removing the tags and rewriting them again in MP3Tag software. I had no freezes after that.

Then I updated to some version (which I don't remember now), hoping that it will fix the 'Start from the first song' bug and was not able to install the FLAC support tweak again due to incompatibility or rather cases of broken USB ports/CMU bricks after use of this tweak. This left me with a USB stick full of files that I can't listen, and everything working fine with those MP3 files that are on the stick. Then I got into car accident and was without a car for 4 months. Now I got it fixed and stumbled across this new FW here, which now breaks shuffle, apparently.
This whole situation with USB audio sucks, because I like listening to music from my USB in FLAC and always in shuffle mode... And now it seems that neither of it works fine anymore :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts