2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone else is having issues with their advanced keyless system?
When I grab the outside handle of my 2019 GT, it only unlocks occasionally.

The key fob functions all work, and I’ve tried with both fobs, same results.
I popped into the dealership this morning. They put a new battery in my fob, and they also had issues with the
car sensing your hand on the handle and refusing to unlock.
The handle is clear of ice or dirt (I’m in Ontario, Canada)

If I use the auto lock function, and allow the car to lock itself as I walk away, then I cannot re enter the vehicle unless I use the fob.
If I lock the car by swiping the lock on the outside handle, then the keyless unlock works ..... sometimes.

The service manager hasn’t had this issue with other 3’s.
He tried opening and closing the other doors and the trunk, waited for the car to lock itself, and then tried unsuccessfully to unlock
using his hand on the handle. But, if he locked it by putting his hand over the handle sensor, then it would unlock when you gripped the handle.
Hoping someone in the Mazda community has heard of this issue, or is aware of a TSB that addresses my issue?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ultimately, that is where it will end up.
I don’t have much confidence in the dealer digging through my door RKE system and leaving it factory fresh. I was hoping others have had this issue and had a successful outcome.
I’ll repost once a solution has been found.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have a intermittent problem (>50%) of the car not locking when I close the door and walk away. I'm taking the car into the shop at then end of the month.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine seems to work fine, although the keyless unlock only unlocks the driver side door and front passenger side door (not sure if its supposed to unlock the rear doors too). But regarding your issue, the front doors on mine unlock 90% of the time I've tried it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, for the past two days the system is back to working flawlessly.
Go figure .... It seems to have reset itself somehow.
Re “Strawbeyz” comment, in settings you can have it unlock either the driver’s door or all doors; I chose all doors, so I can toss my gear in the backseat without opening the drivers door first.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It occurs approximately ~20% of the time to me, only for locking the car when I walk away. I wonder if it has to do with the antenna.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wondering if anyone else is having issues with their advanced keyless system?
When I grab the outside handle of my 2019 GT, it only unlocks occasionally.

The key fob functions all work, and I’ve tried with both fobs, same results.
I popped into the dealership this morning. They put a new battery in my fob, and they also had issues with the
car sensing your hand on the handle and refusing to unlock.
The handle is clear of ice or dirt (I’m in Ontario, Canada)

If I use the auto lock function, and allow the car to lock itself as I walk away, then I cannot re enter the vehicle unless I use the fob.
If I lock the car by swiping the lock on the outside handle, then the keyless unlock works ..... sometimes.

The service manager hasn’t had this issue with other 3’s.
He tried opening and closing the other doors and the trunk, waited for the car to lock itself, and then tried unsuccessfully to unlock
using his hand on the handle. But, if he locked it by putting his hand over the handle sensor, then it would unlock when you gripped the handle.
Hoping someone in the Mazda community has heard of this issue, or is aware of a TSB that addresses my issue?

Thanks in advance.
2019 Evolove 2.5 sedan, I have exactly the same issue with the outside handle it fails about 25% of the time, both fobs same results, no correlation with fob distance from door/car, trying at the moment to eliminate if it's both doors, when it fails I have to remember to run around to the passenger side and try, also getting someone else to try when it fails for me (body capacitance) or as my son would say "dad it's just your concrete fingers".
A real pain, as I never had an issue with the little black button on a 2014 SP 25.

With regards to the walk away locking it was similar to what happend with my previous 2014 SP25, if I reopen and close the door, it has always worked, the dealer says it has something to do with last door closed, ie the passenger closing after you have walked away with the fob./

·
Registered
128 Posts
FWIW, I believe it does have "something to do with last door closed, ie the passenger closing after you have walked away with the fob" -- that is, the 'walk away/lock' issue with advanced keyless. Ask me how I know: how do you know? TL;DR summary at end.

Because a month after we got our '19 (3 hatch GT/Premium [Canada]), we noticed that often when going shopping etc. and returning to car we'd find it unlocked. Then, we had an overnight break-into the car. No damage, fortunately, other than 'vagrant smell' and some missing small items. Same thing: car had not auto-locked when we returned home for the evening.

I spent some time trying to figure this out with the manual, questions to dealer, etc. but couldn't really sort it until I noticed a pattern: if Ms. Badger is driving, as she often does, she has the fob and I won't typically be carrying mine. Ms. Badger moves quickly, let's just say, and she will often close the last door (or hatch) and be very quickly walking away: quickly enough that she is often out of range to initiate auto-lock. Example: we return home from shopping; Ms. B exits car with fob and quickly moves away from car while I still have either a door or the hatch open. When I close the door/hatch, we won't get the initial 'beep' signalling that auto-lock is 'on', and she has to come back to the car and open/close a door or lock with the fob.

Summary: as far as I can figure, all doors/hatch must be closed while a key fob is still within a very few feet; after a short delay, you'll get the initial signal, followed by auto-locking (with another beep) after another short delay. Over the past couple of months, this pattern has been completely consistent. So, you can 'walk away', but only after hearing that initial signal; you can't quickly walk away immediately after closing the last door/hatch.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My autolock failure has nothing to do with the "last door closed." I'm the only one who drives my car or is even in my car. (I'm single and live alone.) It just fails.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My autolock failure has nothing to do with the "last door closed." I'm the only one who drives my car or is even in my car. (I'm single and live alone.) It just fails.
I use to have the same issue. I am the only driver/passenger as well but I soon realized it was a design flaw of the "walk away auto lock feature." I came to the realization that the key fob needs to be in close proximity to the door when you exit the vehicle and shut the door. Additionally, and this part is key, you have to give the system a moment to detect the key fob before you are able to walk away and the system will confirm this with an initial beep. During this initial beep the car does not actually lock. When you proceed to walk away from the car, the system will beep again and the car will actually lock. If you are shutting the door as you are walking away, the system might not have enough time to detect the key. This happened to me a lot and I'm almost certain this is the cause of the issue for most people because it almost seems unnatural to exit the vehicle, shut the door, stand there for a second and then walk away. Most people, like myself will push the car door shut as they are walk away. Also, keep in mind that if you hold the key fob hand in hand with your phone, this could cause interference and the system will not be able to detect the key fob and the feature will not work as it should. This is completely normal as I've had the same experience with my Honda.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I use to have the same issue. I am the only driver/passenger as well but I soon realized it was a design flaw of the "walk away auto lock feature." I came to the realization that the key fob needs to be in close proximity to the door when you exit the vehicle and shut the door. Additionally, and this part is key, you have to give the system a moment to detect the key fob before you are able to walk away and the system will confirm this with an initial beep. During this initial beep the car does not actually lock. When you proceed to walk away from the car, the system will beep again and the car will actually lock. If you are shutting the door as you are walking away, the system might not have enough time to detect the key. This happened to me a lot and I'm almost certain this is the cause of the issue for most people because it almost seems unnatural to exit the vehicle, shut the door, stand there for a second and then walk away. Most people, like myself will push the car door shut as they are walk away. Also, keep in mind that if you hold the key fob hand in hand with your phone, this could cause interference and the system will not be able to detect the key fob and the feature will not work as it should. This is completely normal as I've had the same experience with my Honda.
Yep; exactly our experience and conclusion (see above).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Two separate issues: The car not locking when you walk away and the car not unlocking when you put your hand on the handle.

I have the failure to lock issue whenever someone has a door open or I go to the trunk after closing the door. I also have the problem when I walk away from the car fairly fast and am out of range when the door completely closes. Ironically, I walk away from the car slower at work then when getting home. I never have the problem at work but often at home.

The failure to unlock happens 5% of the time for me with no identifying correlation with other variables.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually, that makes complete sense to me. It hardly ever fails to lock in my garage as it's tight quarters and I can't exit the car quickly. It fails most often when I'm in a store parking lot and I have plenty of space to jump out quickly, walk straight away from the car (as opposed to along side it like in my garage) and close the door. Thanks, I'll see what happens if I modify my car exits (though I will find that irritating).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have been keeping an eye on this thread since I picked up my car on Friday. My auto-lock seems to be working correctly. However, I find it just as easy to use the door handle to lock the car when walking away instead. I never have to touch the key fob which is the point really. However, I do understand the poster wanting his locking mechanism to work correctly. I have a 2020 if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have been keeping an eye on this thread since I picked up my car on Friday. My auto-lock seems to be working correctly. However, I find it just as easy to use the door handle to lock the car when walking away instead. I never have to touch the key fob which is the point really. However, I do understand the poster wanting his locking mechanism to work correctly. I have a 2020 if it makes a difference.
I didn't recall that you can lock the car by touching the handle. Do you need to touch it the same way you do when you open the car? Please explain.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I didn't recall that you can lock the car by touching the handle. Do you need to touch it the same way you do when you open the car? Please explain.
Just place a couple of fingers on the side of the handle facing away from the car after closing the door and it locks. It's similar to Lexus. Just tested and it worked. You should be able to make out an indentation on the handle which is where you touch and hold for like 2 seconds and it locks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts