2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder what would happen, for example, if you and your significant other were driving down the highway and you got into some sort of argument...

It doesn't matter who is driving or who started it but one of them decided to roll down the window and throw the key (assuming it is not in someones pocket/purse) out of said window....

Is the car smart enough to realize that maybe it shouldn't shut off or will it shut off anyway.

/discuss

(sorry if this has already be posted. I did a search for advanced key here and a longer search string in google)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I used to have a Lexus ES350, and I experimented with this- once the engine is started, the car won't turn off even if the key leaves the proximity of the key sensor. I'm guessing it would work the same for the Mazda, because if it didn't, you better make sure your keyfob batteries don't die while you're on the highway...

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know during one episode of top gear they had a dodge challenger they were testing with a vette and a caddy and the challenger had an advanced key so they moved it and parked it in the center of the street in front of the restaraunt they were eating in to mess with one of the hosts.

It didn't turn off by its self so it was probably still in range and I assume it would just turn off at low speed but higher speeds.... maybe it wouldn't as a safety feature since you would lose assisted braking and steering.

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to have a Lexus ES350, and I experimented with this- once the engine is started, the car won't turn off even if the key leaves the proximity of the key sensor. I'm guessing it would work the same for the Mazda, because if it didn't, you better make sure your keyfob batteries don't die while you're on the highway...
Well that's good cause I could see it as a serious safety issue.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've tried this before (not throwing the key out of the window)....I started my car and then left with the key fob in my hand and had my friend drive it around the block..the car never shut off or disabled him from driving away.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It shouldn't power down because failure of the keyfob is a potential failure mode that has to be accounted for. One thing I haven't tried yet is to toss the keys in the trunk and close the trunk. I used to have a Nissan Altima with a smart key, and it wouldn't let the truck latch closed in that case.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It shouldn't power down because failure of the keyfob is a potential failure mode that has to be accounted for. One thing I haven't tried yet is to toss the keys in the trunk and close the trunk. I used to have a Nissan Altima with a smart key, and it wouldn't let the truck latch closed in that case.
This was the same with my ES350- it would beep an alert to let you know that you had left the key in the trunk.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Message appears on the screen key not found. But I haven't gotten far enough to see if it shuts down, but I agree it probably won't.

I've thrown my smart key in my hatch and closed it, but since it's in the car, I just pressed the release button on the hatch and it opened up like normal.

The thing I really hate is if I leave the car to get something (car is off) and my wife is in the car waiting and I lock it with the smart key for safety reasons. She has the spare in her purse and when I press lock, the car beeps for a while trying to warn me that I left my key in there, drawing attention. I tried to have the dealer disable the beeps, but didn't work. Now I just tell her to lock it from the inside when I step out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It just tells you the key is missing. My car randomly gave me the warning while driving, it kept running for the rest of my trip, then it recognized the key again. I've also started my car then hopped out to grab something and it will stay running.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Read the manual guys, its says that it will continue to run until you turn it off, however once turned off you will not be able to turn it on again unless the key is within range.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Read the manual guys, its says that it will continue to run until you turn it off, however once turned off you will not be able to turn it on again unless the key is within range.
You got that right, I took y MS3 to the car wash where they drive the car in put it on a track then get out. I had the key in my pocket the whole time, well until he shut off the car and when they went to start it they could not OOPS!:blush 1:

·
Registered
140 Posts
I came across this scenario one day as I was walking into the gym. I had dropped my keys in the trunk by accident when I was getting my gym bag. I shut the trunk, and the car just beeps saying "you left your keys in the trunk, idiot"

It was one of those things I just kinda fell upon and thought it was kinda cool.

·
Code Mode
18 Posts
yea it stays running. my wife has the advanced on her 3 and she came home from work just when i was leaving for work so i took her car. didnt pay attention to the car beeping of the missing key and i got almost all the way to work when i noticed that the screen said it was missing the key. she then had to drive all the way to my job (25 miles one way) to give me the key so i could start it again and come home later. she wasnt to happy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts