2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched but I haven't found a definitive description of how the walk away locking should work?
When I'm alone, it works fine. When I have a passenger it seems to work randomly. It doesn't seem to depend on who opens or closes their door first, or how fast I walk away or anything else. I haven't found anything in the manual.
One thing that happens consistently is that if I lock the doors but leave the fob in the back, the hatch doesn't lock, and the doors will only unlock by the button on the fob or the key. OTOH, when passenger is involved, the walk away lock seems really random.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,282 Posts
It works better without out passengers and locks if the key fob is 3ft+ away. You'll have to kick them out first and be the last to leave the car. I usually use the door lock button or fob.

·
Registered
245 Posts
There isn't a very good description of the walk-away lock in the manual, but the following describes how the system SHOULD work:

If the person holding the fob is IN RANGE of the door or trunk/hatch sensors (within 2-3 feet), then the walk away system will ACTIVATE when the final door is fully closed. You should hear a SINGLE BEEP to know it's active. The doors will actually LOCK (and there will be another SINGLE BEEP) when you walk away. The doors will also lock after about 30 seconds, whether you have walked away or not. The system will NOT activate and the doors will NEVER lock if the person holding the fob walks away BEFORE the last door is closed.

I haven't had any problems with mine, even with multiple passengers. As long as I'm by the sensor when the final door is closed, then it works. If yours isn't behaving like that, then you may need a new fob battery, or maybe get it double-checked by a dealer.

As for locking the doors but leaving a fob in the trunk/hatch, the car detects the fob in the trunk and thinks you've left it accidentally, so it allows the trunk to be opened, even without another fob, to retrieve it. That's why you can get into the hatch. The car is trying to help you NOT lock your fob in the trunk, which is nice. But the problem is that ANYONE can get your fob. Mazda realized this is a problem, so as an anti-theft mechanism, the car will temporarily deactivate any fob that is left in a trunk/hatch, and then retrieved. This explains why the little round door buttons don't work when you've left a fob in the trunk and why you have to use the actual fob/key to get in.

Once you are inside the car, you just press the unlock button on the fob to reactivate it. Now it's active again and can be used to start the car. The problem is that ANYONE who has the fob can do this, and ANYONE can get the fob from the trunk because it can't be locked inside. Which means that, if you leave your fob in the trunk/hatch, anyone who knows that it's there and knows how to reactivate it, can steal your car.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The walk away locking does work as explained in post 3. I turned off this feature since I want to be in total control when the car is locked / unlocked. Please don't leave a spare key in the car all the time. I sometimes do take my spare key with me in a suitcase in the boot when i go on holiday. In this situation I double wrap the key in foil so the car can't detect the second key.

·
Registered
286 Posts
My friend's Civic Si has this feature and he turned it off as he found it annoying. My salesman turned it on during the delivery process and the first thing I did after realizing how annoying it was was turn it back off.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The system will NOT activate and the doors will NEVER lock if the person holding the fob walks away BEFORE the last door is closed.

As for locking the doors but leaving a fob in the trunk/hatch, the car detects the fob in the trunk and thinks you've left it accidentally, so it allows the trunk to be opened, even without another fob, to retrieve it. That's why you can get into the hatch.
That's the best explanation I've heard. The trunk thing is kind of a PITA to me. I would really prefer to lock the key in the trunk, but it doesn't seem possible.

Theoretically, I like the walkaway feature a lot, but IRL it's too unreliable for the way I actually use the car. I'm gonna turn it off. YMMV.

I sometimes do take my spare key with me in a suitcase in the boot when i go on holiday. In this situation I double wrap the key in foil so the car can't detect the second key.
When I double wrap the fob in foil, the doors will not lock. I have to wrap, put it in an Altoids tin, and put that in an RFID blocking envelope. That works for a couple of days, but then I hear alarms all the time, and the doors don't lock, and finally the fob battery goes dead. It's like it's still picking up the signal, but on a dial up connection.

Surfer forums are full of threads about what to do with proximity keys when you are in the water. I haven't found the perfect solution yet. I used to just hide a key under the bumper, but that leaves the doors unlocked in my Mazda. When I am really concerned about security, I keep a fob without a battery inside the car, and carry a mechanical key for the door, but I really want to get rid of carrying keys altogether when I'm on the water or traveling for for extended periods.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I love the walk away locking, such a great useful feature when your hands are full or are preoccupied and forget to lock it. Works well with even my aftermarket alarm and remote start.

Surfer forums are full of threads about what to do with proximity keys when you are in the water. I haven't found the perfect solution yet. I used to just hide a key under the bumper, but that leaves the doors unlocked in my Mazda. When I am really concerned about security, I keep a fob without a battery inside the car, and carry a mechanical key for the door, but I really want to get rid of carrying keys altogether when I'm on the water or traveling for for extended periods.
I would never leave keys in a car, tin foil or anything. Take it with you, a plastic bag does the trick when i go canoeing or a waterproof Otterbox.

But i guess because i also have an aftermarket alarm i could leave the keys in the car. But a plastic bag does wonders for waterproofing stuff. lol

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love the walk away locking...
Me too, but it's too unreliable for me. It's easier to disable it than to listen for it every time.

I would never leave keys in a car, tin foil or anything. Take it with you, a plastic bag does the trick when i go canoeing or a waterproof Otterbox.

But i guess because i also have an aftermarket alarm i could leave the keys in the car. But a plastic bag does wonders for waterproofing stuff. lol
I don't want to swim with a plastic bag or anything else. OTOH I would never have an aftermarket alarm, and I would disable the OEM alarm if I knew how. Alarms make people want to vandalize your car more than help you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Me too, but it's too unreliable for me. It's easier to disable it than to listen for it every time.

I don't want to swim with a plastic bag or anything else. OTOH I would never have an aftermarket alarm, and I would disable the OEM alarm if I knew how. Alarms make people want to vandalize your car more than help you.
Yah, i like to swim naked too. No place to hold anything. :laugh2:

I would never own a car with out an aftermarket alarm. Not having an alarm leaves you open to theft, i would know, my car used to get broken into till i got an alarm.

But i am not talking alarms of the 90's. This alarm will notify me up to a mile away of a break in, it also videos the entire encounter and will sound an alarm of course. The remote start capability is priceless too for super cold and hot days as well. I can also open and close all my windows remotely if i forget to close them. Its well worth it to me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
That's the best explanation I've heard. The trunk thing is kind of a PITA to me. I would really prefer to lock the key in the trunk, but it doesn't seem possible.

Theoretically, I like the walkaway feature a lot, but IRL it's too unreliable for the way I actually use the car. I'm gonna turn it off. YMMV.

When I double wrap the fob in foil, the doors will not lock. I have to wrap, put it in an Altoids tin, and put that in an RFID blocking envelope. That works for a couple of days, but then I hear alarms all the time, and the doors don't lock, and finally the fob battery goes dead. It's like it's still picking up the signal, but on a dial up connection.

A key double wrapped in aluminum foil with the edges folded over should be a perfect Faraday Cage. I've wrapped my spare key this way and the car won't open in keyless entry mode when you stand with the wrapped key next to the lock. The RF signal to/from the key is therefore effectively blocked by a double foil layer

·
Registered
90 Posts
My main problem is when I get out (with the key in my pocket), fill up with fuel and walk away to pay. The alarm goes off because I've left my wife in the car, I have told her she should pay for the fuel but she refuses!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ok. Let me tell you how it works. The intelligence key equipped car has 2 sensor in the interior compare to normal trim star stop key car which only has center mounted one. Difference is this ensures the car will not be lock even your key is inside the trunk and there are no blind spot compare to the regular start stop key. The intelligence key also have sensor outside the car
(in each door +trunk) to detect if the key is out side. Working with the interior sensors that already proven have no blind spot, the car now works for auto door lock feature when both outside and inside sensor doesnt sense the key. Now goes into how it works: it works when your car is off, your key has switched from indoor to outdoor and the doors are ALL closed and both inside and outside sensors then detects no key. It will then lock the door for you. So for those have passengers that works randomly is because: the passenger doors MUST CLOSED BEFORE YOU WALK OUT OF THE DETECT ZONE OF YOUR OUTSIDE SENSOR. So it works perfect if you follow these procedures: ignition off, key inside = false doors = close, key outside = true, key outside = false, auto door lock. So for those doesnt work. Please make sure you stay near the car and let the passenger close all door before you walk out. Best is to let all passenger close all doors before you close your own door

·
Registered
570 Posts
This is such a funny discussion as to how it relates to the not so perfect world of high tech electronics and why we can't find it in ourselves to push the button on the door or the fob to lock the doors.

The problem with your explanation as to how the system works in a perfect world, whilst of course making sure everyone takes a number when getting out the car, is that even Mazda indicates there are shielded areas in the car where the remote will not/may not communicate with the car, including simply the cup holder.

I can't stress enough, people have locked themselves out of their cars when they have left the fob in the car and simply got out to fuel up...btw, you all should lock your cars when you get out to fuel up since it is common for bad folks to steal stuff out of your car at the fueling station while you are on the other side of the car distracted. Google both of these things. The jury is out, but it could be the "blind spot" you think doesn't exist or a weak battery that locks you out of your car.

It's one inconvenience I will continue to endure the old fashion way since it's not close to perfect and the "simple convenience" isn't worth the risk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There isn't a very good description of the walk-away lock in the manual, but the following describes how the system SHOULD work:

If the person holding the fob is IN RANGE of the door or trunk/hatch sensors (within 2-3 feet), then the walk away system will ACTIVATE when the final door is fully closed. You should hear a SINGLE BEEP to know it's active. The doors will actually LOCK (and there will be another SINGLE BEEP) when you walk away. The doors will also lock after about 30 seconds, whether you have walked away or not. The system will NOT activate and the doors will NEVER lock if the person holding the fob walks away BEFORE the last door is closed.
Hi, I have Mazda Axela 2204, it has this walk away lock system but recently somehow its deactivated, can u tell me how to activate this walk away lock system again??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts