2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

121 - 131 of 131 Posts

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
I'm gonna say this again, cold air intakes have almost no more benefit than an SRI in my opinion. Once you start driving, air flows into the engine bay and thus your intake will pull in ambient air temps. I can sit in traffic and watch my intake temps on my Ultragauge rise but once I start moving, they drop to ambient temps.
I had an airaid intake on my hhr and same thing. Sit at a light on a 90 degree day and the temps would go up to 120. A quarter mile down the road back to about 92 degrees.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Timing Mod question

Hi, I was just curious... if bumping the timing will increase HP and MPG, how come they don't do it from the factory?

Thanks,
Rich

·
zoom~
847 Posts
Hi, I was just curious... if bumping the timing will increase HP and MPG, how come they don't do it from the factory?

Thanks,
Rich
For the best balance of all the factors mentioned, they've kept it that way.

Advanced too early, the engine will have better torque at lower rpm, but no top end hp.

Ignition timing isn't linear, the ECU watches tons of things to find the preprogrammed timing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe it's the other way around when u retard the engine you gain low end torque and lose top end hp and when you advance timing you gain top end but lose torque

·
Registered
251 Posts
advance timing

Hey all,

Today I decided to give the advance timing mod a try. I'm posting this thread because i noticed that while searching for instructions on how to do this there weren't very many pictures.

Welp, here it goes.

First start by turning your wheels all the way to the right. (This will give you the room you need to get behind the right tire.)

Next, you will see 2 bolts and a screw. (The bolts come off with a 10mm Ratchet)

After These bolts are off pull back the plastic. You will see this. The timing mechanism is highlighted in blue.

Now, Loosen the 2 bolts up just enough so that you can slide the black piece of plastic up and down. To advance the timing you must slide it down. (Retarding you would slide up)

After you do this tighten the 2 bolts back up and it should look like this.

I also noticed after this that my idle was lower; as others have mentioned.

My idle before advance timing:

Idle after timing:

Well, that's about it. I can't say I felt a huge power gain but the car did seem a little peppier. I'll be filling up with 89 octane tomorrow and I'll see how that goes.

Thanks,
Zack

It seems you have the 2.0L Non skyactiv engine. what does the advancing of the time do? also does it work on the skyactiv models. What are the benefits if any

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
It seems you have the 2.0L Non skyactiv engine. what does the advancing of the time do? also does it work on the skyactiv models because you posted in the SkyActiv forum
A couple years ago when I posted this thread there was no skyactiv section. Since then the skyactiv section was created and added to the normal 2.0 and 2.5 section. But yes I have a regular 2.0l non skyactiv. Advancing timing like this is skeptical by some. However it is suppose to advance timing for better torque down low. I didn't particularly feel anything crazy when I did this. Just a little pep in the cars step. I don't notice it anymore due to all of my other mods. But it's a little wrenching on your car that you can do in your spare time for some fun. And no, this does not work on any skyactiv models. Hope this answered your questions.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Does anyone done this to skyactiv models? I am tempted to do this. Any bad or good turn out?

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys , I got a 2010 GT hatchback, just advanced mine...

Is it normal that i dont have that belt sticking in front of the sensors ? Theres no belt at all

·
Registered
4 Posts
For the best balance of all the factors mentioned, they've kept it that way.

Advanced too early, the engine will have better torque at lower rpm, but no top end hp.

Ignition timing isn't linear, the ECU watches tons of things to find the preprogrammed timing.
A couple years ago when I posted this thread there was no skyactiv section. Since then the skyactiv section was created and added to the normal 2.0 and 2.5 section. But yes I have a regular 2.0l non skyactiv. Advancing timing like this is skeptical by some. However it is suppose to advance timing for better torque down low. I didn't particularly feel anything crazy when I did this. Just a little pep in the cars step. I don't notice it anymore due to all of my other mods. But it's a little wrenching on your car that you can do in your spare time for some fun. And no, this does not work on any skyactiv models. Hope this answered your questions.
when you advance the timing your low end suffers but high end gains, when you retard timing the low end gains but high end suffers. Usually factory leaves it in the low-middle so you have good low end because most people aren't pushing it to the high end.

121 - 131 of 131 Posts