2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

101 - 120 of 131 Posts

·
Thundercougarfalconbird
2,450 Posts
different blends of gas in summer and winter. probably a correct mixture with the air density of the summer too, and the extra dense air of the winter may throw things off.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Remind why I never buy used cars, oh everyone has, because all of you spent 5 years getting engineering degrees. Years of rebuilding engines and so you know all of the out comes of adjusting to 'out of spec' without even a timing light on your hand. Posting on a board 6000 times is just like getting a Masters.

WOW, Why did I ever spend all that time is school? I could have just joined this board.

What a waist, people questioned effect of this on their cars, all I did was tell them, and get bashed.

Again back to WOW.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Remind why I never buy used cars, oh everyone has, because all of you spent 5 years getting engineering degrees. Years of rebuilding engines and so you know all of the out comes of adjusting to 'out of spec' without even a timing light on your hand. Posting on a board 6000 times is just like getting a Masters.

WOW, Why did I ever spend all that time is school? I could have just joined this board.

What a waist, people questioned effect of this on their cars, all I did was tell them, and get bashed.

Again back to WOW.
Your logic and debate skills are about as good as :taz: trying to build a house of cards. Chill out man. What engineering degree do you have? Also, a little grammar lesson might help you to make your point. I'm still trying to figure out this sentence and how it makes sense 'Remind why I never buy used cars, oh everyone has, because all of you spent 5 years getting engineering degrees'

·
Registered
4,313 Posts

Again back to WOW.
Are you retarded? Kyle explained THE ECU PULLS TIMING IF THERE IS KNOCK. THE ECU WONT ALLOW THE ENGINE TO COME "OUT OF SPEC" THE ECU MAKES THE TIMING MAP STAY IN CERTAIN PERAMETERS SET BY MAZDA ENGINEERS. It's not hard to understand. We can fuck up absolutely nothing sliding a little sensor a quarter inch away. Clearly you shouldn't be allowed to engineer anything except maybe a paper towel dispenser.

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Registered
790 Posts
Remind why I never buy used cars, oh everyone has, because all of you spent 5 years getting engineering degrees. Years of rebuilding engines and so you know all of the **OUTCOMES** <- - - (ONE WORD) of adjusting to 'out of spec' without even a timing light on your hand. Posting on a board 6000 times is just like getting a Masters.

What a **WASTE**, people questioned effect of this on their cars, all I did was tell them, and get bashed.

Again back to WOW.
There all better!

Sent from a Parallel Universe

·
Registered
69 Posts
Dumb Question..........What exactly does this do....Obviously some HP gains...More specifically what does this part acutally do for the car?? are you guys some how allowing it to shift sooner??? intake more gas??? I am just rying to figure out what you are doing with this mod like what does that part do to begin with and what does it do after you mod it.???? It may be a dumb qustion but please act like an adult and either answer or dont....Dont be a child and just post about how dumb the question is or call me an idiot....what am I saying someone will do that here. Thank You (if you did answer it seriously)

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts
Dumb Question..........What exactly does this do....Obviously some HP gains...More specifically what does this part acutally do for the car?? are you guys some how allowing it to shift sooner??? intake more gas??? I am just rying to figure out what you are doing with this mod like what does that part do to begin with and what does it do after you mod it.???? It may be a dumb qustion but please act like an adult and either answer or dont....Dont be a child and just post about how dumb the question is or call me an idiot....what am I saying someone will do that here. Thank You (if you did answer it seriously)
No proven hp gains and doubtful unless you are tuned for it and using higher octane gas. No shifting soon, no extra mpgs. Pretty unnecessary imo because without a tune and higher octane gas it does nothing for you. I feel like the mod is a placebo effect but this is just my opinion on researching and looking more closely into it. This is why I haven't done the mod.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
Are there gains? If so, they are too small to notice hence why I don't really consider an effective mod. The biggest thing I did notice was a drop in my idle RPM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I've done this mod, then gone back to stock, then back to the mod. My main reason for switching back and forth is my gas mileage. Granted, down here in Texas it's either hot or fire, but I've experienced such a drastic change in MPG that I must call into question whether or not this mod is the culprit.

So my main question, if any of you can remember, what were your RPMs during cruising speeds? 60mph, 65mph, 70mph, 75mph? any changes from stock (before the mod)

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Rpms aren't going to change by advancing the timing lol. This mod does nothing really.

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Registered
40 Posts
haha damn, so I'm just making this up. I swear that it made a difference in RPMs. I guess this just another instance of the placebo effect taking hold.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have one for you guys. Probably shouldn't tell you this cause you'll all do it. :tongue:

I am not recommending this to anyone (maybe), especially those with warranties.

I had a 2002 Cavalier. (Hey, it was actually the last year's generation, solid car), I somehow thought if I make the airbox bigger I could get more air in the engine. Well, I sorta did. I got more hot air. So in wintertime I would let more hot air in the intake coming from the engine bay and some mixing in from the existing inlet. Kind of a mix of both. Safe way to do it anyways. It ended up giving me great mileage in the winter. I later heard that GM was doing this on certain cars mechanically by opening a valve under cold conditions. Summertime, I would plug that hole and go back to stock. More like late spring.

Now you young guys with those short ram intake thingys get that great growling sounds but also suck in hot air...ALL THE TIME. Unless you get the airbox and take the air from the wheel well or something. Do you think your engine will take that continuous abuse? Sure the radiator will cool the block down but it's wear and tear either way. Cold air intake does exactly what it says. You get cooler air(dense) at all time giving you a bit more pep and HP at the wheels. A bit more $$$=more HP.

Hot air is thin, cold air is dense. Dense air tells the computer that it can go full tilt on fuel/air mixture. Hot air tells the computer via MAF & temp sensor to reduce fuel consumption by detonation, fuel amount and timing. SO in other words you can trick the computer that it's summer time in the winter and save on $$$. Won't be performing as well torque wise and timing will change a bit too. Rougher idle.

The hole I had made was before the filter, outside ambient air inlet (obviously common sense) and about 3 inches in diameter.

I got at least 2 extra days of fuel going to work and back, no kidding. Can't remember the MPG. Winter is a greedy season on fuel economy.

P.S. If you want even more pep. Cool down the fuel lines or fuel tank. Wanna save some cash on fuel economy, warm them up in the winter.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
every stock air box is essentially a cold air intake. The name is decieving. Its not a cold air as much as it is a outside temperature intake. My stock box on my speed will pull in air 1-2 degrees hotter than the outside air temp. With a n/a car it may make a difference with the turbo and intercooler its not as much of an issue.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I believe that aftermarket intake asseblies also have modifed air temp and flow sensors that tell the computer to be more performant in hp. It's not only in the mold's design.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
I have one for you guys. Probably shouldn't tell you this cause you'll all do it. :tongue:

I am not recommending this to anyone (maybe), especially those with warranties.

I had a 2002 Cavalier. (Hey, it was actually the last year's generation, solid car), I somehow thought if I make the airbox bigger I could get more air in the engine. Well, I sorta did. I got more hot air. So in wintertime I would let more hot air in the intake coming from the engine bay and some mixing in from the existing inlet. Kind of a mix of both. Safe way to do it anyways. It ended up giving me great mileage in the winter. I later heard that GM was doing this on certain cars mechanically by opening a valve under cold conditions. Summertime, I would plug that hole and go back to stock. More like late spring.

Now you young guys with those short ram intake thingys get that great growling sounds but also suck in hot air...ALL THE TIME. Unless you get the airbox and take the air from the wheel well or something. Do you think your engine will take that continuous abuse? Sure the radiator will cool the block down but it's wear and tear either way. Cold air intake does exactly what it says. You get cooler air(dense) at all time giving you a bit more pep and HP at the wheels. A bit more $$$=more HP.

Hot air is thin, cold air is dense. Dense air tells the computer that it can go full tilt on fuel/air mixture. Hot air tells the computer via MAF & temp sensor to reduce fuel consumption by detonation, fuel amount and timing. SO in other words you can trick the computer that it's summer time in the winter and save on $$$. Won't be performing as well torque wise and timing will change a bit too. Rougher idle.

The hole I had made was before the filter, outside ambient air inlet (obviously common sense) and about 3 inches in diameter.

I got at least 2 extra days of fuel going to work and back, no kidding. Can't remember the MPG. Winter is a greedy season on fuel economy.

P.S. If you want even more pep. Cool down the fuel lines or fuel tank. Wanna save some cash on fuel economy, warm them up in the winter.
I'm gonna say this again, cold air intakes have almost no more benefit than an SRI in my opinion. Once you start driving, air flows into the engine bay and thus your intake will pull in ambient air temps. I can sit in traffic and watch my intake temps on my Ultragauge rise but once I start moving, they drop to ambient temps.

101 - 120 of 131 Posts