2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Or not enough for you to even notice. Theres no point in spending so much more per gallon for premium when your driving a Mazda 3 anyway. It has relatively high compression but even Mazda recommends 87-89 octane fuel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been reading that the higher the octane the harder it is to ignite but with the info from the net you might be right. But I still believe that higer octane won't benefit standard engines.
Harder to ignite with temperature and pressure in a combustion chamber, which is what makes it less likely to diesel and detonate. But with a spark from a spark plug it will burn just fine.

If I were to throw a match on a bucket of 93, then you threw a match on a bucket of 87, I would have burnt up just as quickly and as badly as you, and no one watching would notice the difference.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Ermahgerd my thread got stickied. C: Yay

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just did this mod .. I always use the 91/93 when I fill up. IMO its feels like it did as much as grounding my tb with 4 ga wire.. Kind of pointless to some but worth it in my eyes .. Every tried race fuel in ur 3? I did and holy cow I pulled on a nova on the highway and his passenger was laughing at him.. Greatest victory for my 3 yet :chuck_norris 1:

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
91/93 or race gas has absolutely no effect on our engines unless you are tinned to run on it. I thought you had a jet chip tune that advanced timing so why would you even do this mod?

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
Just did this mod .. I always use the 91/93 when I fill up. IMO its feels like it did as much as grounding my tb with 4 ga wire.. Kind of pointless to some but worth it in my eyes .. Every tried race fuel in ur 3? I did and holy cow I pulled on a nova on the highway and his passenger was laughing at him.. Greatest victory for my 3 yet :chuck_norris 1:
Using 93 in your car is bad for it too you may be leaving unburnt fuel in your cylinders and odds are the passenger in the nova was probably laughing at you. Or good job you pulled on a nova lol. I had a cobalt that I modded and thought it was fast, it was not.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Using 93 in your car is bad for it too you may be leaving unburnt fuel in your cylinders and odds are the passenger in the nova was probably laughing at you. Or good job you pulled on a nova lol. I had a cobalt that I modded and thought it was fast, it was not.
tell me more about this cobalt

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts
lol...slowbalt.
Exactly it wasnt even ss it was a measly 2.2l with 149 hp and I did intake exhaust etc. and it eventually had an impressive, 149hp........

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
13 Posts
So is this mod worth doing on 2012 speed 3? And I noticed not everyone running the high octane so am I better off running the high grade due to the turbo or can I switch to mid grade or ethanol free with no worries? BTW I'm a Mazda newbie and trying to learn as much as possible from you guys, so thanks in advance

·
Registered
65 Posts
This is funny, lay down on the ground and adjust your timing to the point of causing knock. (Knock so small that you can not hear it) but enough to do microscopic damage every time it happens. Then you wonder why after 10,000 miles you are burning 1/4 quart of oil at every oil change. 20,000 miles later and the #4 cylinder is now just slightly out of round and you gas mileage has dropped 15%. All because your butt dyno says the car feels faster.

Has any one done a real 0-60?
Calculated your thoretical Pounds to Horse power gain? ( I'll do it for you)

Car weight 3250 including you (estimated)
Original hp about 148 = 21.95 pounds to horsepower

Let's say your timing mod gives you a 10% gain (which would also mean your timing mod can change water into wine) =162.8
That is now 19.96 pounds to horsepower WOW!

Now lets put real numbers to this and say you get 2% horsepower gain =150.96
New real number 21.52 pounds to horsepower.

For Fun use this calculator 0-60 mph Calculator for Cars

Original 0 to 60 = 9.177 seconds
At a miracle 10% gain =8.544 seconds
At more realistic gain of 2% = 9.042

Back to my WOW, everyone's butt dyno is awesome! You butts can feel a .132 second difference.

After doing all of this I have decided to go get by butt examined by a doctor because I can't feel that difference. I looked in the mirror and it must be broken, it has a crack in it.

Modding is great when it is done correctly and for the right reasons. A daily driver no! A hot rod running a 1/4 mile that will get rebuilt on sunday, is a totally different animal.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
This is funny, lay down on the ground and adjust your timing to the point of causing knock. (Knock so small that you can not hear it) but enough to do microscopic damage every time it happens. Then you wonder why after 10,000 miles you are burning 1/4 quart of oil at every oil change. 20,000 miles later and the #4 cylinder is now just slightly out of round and you gas mileage has dropped 15%. All because your butt dyno says the car feels faster.

Let's say your timing mod gives you a 10% gain (which would also mean your timing mod can change water into wine) =162.8

Back to my WOW, everyone's butt dyno is awesome! You butts can feel a .132 second difference.

After doing all of this I have decided to go get by butt examined by a doctor because I can't feel that difference. I looked in the mirror and it must be broken, it has a crack in it.

Modding is great when it is done correctly and for the right reasons. A daily driver no! A hot rod running a 1/4 mile that will get rebuilt on sunday, is a totally different animal.
Wah dude. People have been doing this since '05. Nobody's car has blown up. Who knows if it really helps or not. Don't come in here and talk trash. You just joined this forum. Nobody cares about you.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts

:lol 1:

The good part about the knock sensor is that if the ECU detects any knock, it will pull timing. So idk where you are getting this idea that people are burning oil and such from.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts

It feels smoother. The idle is a little lower. Yes, you're right. It doesnt do a lot. But if you over do it, the ecu will pull timing so you dont knock. So it took 10 min of my time and all it can do is help.

Attachments

·
On that college budget
5,278 Posts

You sir must be having a bad day. Lol we don't have a MS3/boosted car so knock is peasant stuff for this car and need not to worry.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
so can't do this to the skyactiv I'm guessing

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
Nope. The little crank position sensor isnt there to slide

Sent from that one app with the gay annoying signature

·
Registered
116 Posts
just curious, how much can you advanced the timing? you guys go all the way or just a little or somewhere in between?
when i did mine, it didn't even thought about it and just slide it all the way. for some reason, i've been getting good fuel milage after added intake, ms3 abe, and iridium plugs in summer but crappy fuel milage in winter. like, 28-30 mpg to 21-23 mpg.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts