2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
has anyone thought of using the flex fuel E85 after doing this mod i heard its worst on gas milage but gives you better hp and its a whole lot cheaper? I am not sure if thats true though its something i heard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just performed this mod in addition to my Cold Air-Intake (custom made W/ Spectre parts - it was fun!!) and did an ECU reset... ALso I'm running 89 Octane Shell Gas

Car is definitely quicker. It just pulls harder on WOT, ! I love this good clean NA power!! Awesome mod thanks for pics they helped alot.

I can't say how happy I am right now, Car is just at the point so it gives a little neck snap to an unsespecting passenger (GF) -during a throttle blip. Now I can consider my car #sporty although still not a "sports car".

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
No prob. Happy modding :p report back if you notice a difference after the mod!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
27 Posts
so did the advance timing yesterday before i left work, have to say it was easy enough. took about 5 minutes and the pics were completely helpful for knowing what i was looking for. i have to say i like the slightly lower idle and it is just a little peppier on throttle, dont really notice any hp increase though

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone done this with a Skyactiv engine yet? Does anyone know if the timing is adjusted the same way?

I think the skyactivs could have greater potential with this mod due to the higher compression.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Has anyone done this with a Skyactiv engine yet? Does anyone know if the timing is adjusted the same way?

I think the skyactivs could have greater potential with this mod due to the higher compression.
Havent heard of any of the skyactiv guys doing it. Just crawl down there and pull back the fender lining and see if it looks the same! You might be the first guy on here to do it. It only takes like 5 minutes

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
so did the advance timing yesterday before i left work, have to say it was easy enough. took about 5 minutes and the pics were completely helpful for knowing what i was looking for. i have to say i like the slightly lower idle and it is just a little peppier on throttle, dont really notice any hp increase though
Glad to see that my pictures helped you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Havent heard of any of the skyactiv guys doing it. Just crawl down there and pull back the fender lining and see if it looks the same! You might be the first guy on here to do it. It only takes like 5 minutes
I'm planning on working on my 3 tomorrow actually. I will be taking the bumper off anyways to install a new grill upper cover, so as long as it looks the same I will do the mod and post my results.

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I'm planning on working on my 3 tomorrow actually. I will be taking the bumper off anyways to install a new grill upper cover, so as long as it looks the same I will do the mod and post my results.
You have me semi excited. Any update?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I took a look at the timing area on my 2012 Skyactive today and this what I saw:

It would appear the timing adjustment is different on the skyactive engine. I did not see anthing that looked like the black plastic slider peice to adjust behind the belts like in the OPs pics. I guess I won't be doing this mod after all:(

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Well I took a look at the timing area on my 2012 Skyactive today and this what I saw:

It would appear the timing adjustment is different on the skyactive engine. I did not see anthing that looked like the black plastic slider peice to adjust behind the belts like in the OPs pics. I guess I won't be doing this mod after all:(
Dang.. Well somebody will figure it out eventually. And to be honest you only notice any difference for the first couple days.

Ps. How did the grill install go?..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Dang.. Well somebody will figure it out eventually. And to be honest you only notice any difference for the first couple days.

Ps. How did the grill install go?..
Grill install went good. I'll post the pics in the "what did u do to your 3 today" thread. I forgot to snap a pic of the new grill cover.

·
Registered
204 Posts
From another forum
** Advance timing mod where you move the crank position sensor to change the ignition timing to benefit higher octane about 89 is good for 6hp not much diff between 89 and 93 gains

6HP. Or 0.2?? For those of you who have done this what's your opinion. I did mine don't see much of a diff. Maybe closer to the .2hp
But worth it. Thanks for the pics.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
From another forum
** Advance timing mod where you move the crank position sensor to change the ignition timing to benefit higher octane about 89 is good for 6hp not much diff between 89 and 93 gains

6HP. Or 0.2?? For those of you who have done this what's your opinion. I did mine don't see much of a diff. Maybe closer to the .2hp

Lol it's the .2

And I guessing you got this from Mazda 3 Forums?..
Some of the guys over there are a little out there.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
41 - 60 of 131 Posts