2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Today I decided to give the advance timing mod a try. I'm posting this thread because i noticed that while searching for instructions on how to do this there weren't very many pictures.

Welp, here it goes.

First start by turning your wheels all the way to the right. (This will give you the room you need to get behind the right tire.)

Next, you will see 2 bolts and a screw. (The bolts come off with a 10mm Ratchet)

After These bolts are off pull back the plastic. You will see this. The timing mechanism is highlighted in blue.

Now, Loosen the 2 bolts up just enough so that you can slide the black piece of plastic up and down. To advance the timing you must slide it down. (Retarding you would slide up)

After you do this tighten the 2 bolts back up and it should look like this.

I also noticed after this that my idle was lower; as others have mentioned.

My idle before advance timing:

Idle after timing:

Well, that's about it. I can't say I felt a huge power gain but the car did seem a little peppier. I'll be filling up with 89 octane tomorrow and I'll see how that goes.

Thanks,
Zack

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct, the only thing it could cause is engine knocking. (From what I heard) I have not experienced this. But if this does happen all you have to do is slide the timing piece back up to its original setting and it should go back to normal.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Correct, the only thing it could cause is engine knocking. (From what I heard) I have not experienced this. But if this does happen all you have to do is slide the timing piece back up to its original setting and it should go back to normal.
I have been using 89 octane exclusively since new, Mazda had 91 in it when I bought it, but ever since only 89. Is it better for the advanced to try and avoid the knock?

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
so there is nothing to worry about when doing this mod? won't risk blowing up the engine? no mpg decrease?

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so there is nothing to worry about when doing this mod? won't risk blowing up the engine? no mpg decrease?
From everything that I've read advancing the timing will not cause the engine to blow up. Engine knocking may occur when using 87 octane on hot days. (80 and above) I plan on switching to 89 and hope for the best. However, if the engine does begin to knock, which I don't think it will, I will change it back to the stock position.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
this is really tempting since this is a free mod lol

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
People have been doing this mod since the 2004 model year, and no one blew up due to this.

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
From everything that I've read advancing the timing will not cause the engine to blow up. Engine knocking may occur when using 87 octane on hot days. (80 and above) I plan on switching to 89 and hope for the best. However, if the engine does begin to knock, which I don't think it will, I will change it back to the stock position.
JC as to why your going to a higher octane? What good does it do? We've already discussed in another thread that if you have N/A, going higher wont do anything!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i just did it on mine, my idle is between 650 and 750 now, and i think it pulls a little bit harder when i floor it, not entirely sure tho lol
so im gonna need 89 octane?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
i just did it on mine, my idle is between 650 and 750 now, and i think it pulls a little bit harder when i floor it, not entirely sure tho lol
so im gonna need 89 octane?
No going up to higher octane wont do anything

·
Hai Guyz C:
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
JC as to why your going to a higher octane? What good does it do? We've already discussed in another thread that if you have N/A, going higher wont do anything!
I did this just as a precaution. I do not want anything happening to my brand new car. I just filled up with the 89 and my butt dyno is telling me that the car is pulling a little bit harder. I might switch back to 87 after i get tired of paying 22 cents extra per gallon.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I know that there are other threads talking about this, but what is this mod supposed to do exactly? What does it do to the engine?

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I fill up with 91/93 because it is just better for the car.. for what a 2 dollar fill up difference? it's like drinking tap water compared to clean filtered water! besides.. the octance rating and what is truely going into the tank isn't always the same.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts