2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched around and couldn't find an answer to my question. I found this: Jamiesplanet.com but I dont think that's what I need. That seems to move the shifter from left to right.

I installed a JBR short shift plate and bushings. They're great. But, I want to see if its possible to move the shifter down. What I mean is that it seems that gears 1, 3, and 5 are all in the same position as they were with the stock shifter plate. The throw is for sure shorter but 2, 4, and 6 are just at a higher position than stock.

Is it possible to make it the exact opposite? I'd like to have 2, 4, and 6 where they were initially and have gears 1, 3, and 5 closer to the driver/me.

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Reading through this again, I actually am in the process of making exactly what you're asking for. If you can give me a few months, I'll have a shift knob available where you can adjust where the knob is by angling it forward, backward or even to the side.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Reading through this again, I actually am in the process of making exactly what you're asking for. If you can give me a few months, I'll have a shift knob available where you can adjust where the knob is by angling it forward, backward or even to the side.
I, in no way, shape, or form mean to be rude by asking the following: who are you? Do you have a website or something?
I'd say I can wait a few months because I'm not too sure if I'm ready to drop 500+ dollars on a new shifter thingy from TWM. Because, IIRC, I've read a bunch on crappy things about them on this forum. What is a "few" months though? How much is this going to cost? By your description, I'm not entirely sure if its exactly what I'm looking for though. I don't know if what I'm asking for can be achieved by merely angling(tilting) the knob. (If I'm completely understanding what you're trying to describe.) But I'm definitely willing to give it a shot given the price isn't ridiculous.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I'm not a merchant/vendor/whathaveyou so I do not have a website for car parts, however I can demonstrate to you that I have the technical chops to pull off full products:

Greyscale Racing > Greyscale Racing MRCG Competition Chassis

Let alone a simple shift knob, I drew the thing up in CAD in 5 minutes and am currently evaluating suppliers to manufacture (CNC turning + minor milling) the main piece.

You said that you wanted to shift the entire shift pattern towards you, right? A longer shift knob that has a built-in angle will change where the end of the shift knob sits (in X and Y anyways; I'd adjust height the old-fashioned way), so instead of 1/3/5 being stock and 2/4/6 farther forward, I can move the entire pattern back and you'll get 1/3/5 closer and 2/4/6 in the stock location. At the moment I've asked suppliers to get back to me by mid-October with the prototype, so if it works, I could have product to ship by November. If it doesn't, well... f--k. :D I mean, December lol.

I only started working on this because my shift knob needs to be moved farther away from me but I don't want to mod the shifter assembly either. Although the product is novel, the idea is not so rest assured that other people have made the concept work before and I'm just re-implementing it in a prettier, more ergonomic way. :)

Reactions: ThisGuy

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice RC race car! I kinda want one now. lol

Well, all that sounds wonderful. Now I can't wait. Haha.
Will it be adjustable? For example, if I then decided that after installation 2/4/6 were too close, will I be able to fine tune it? Can I make more centered?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
As the design stands currently, I haven't implemented adjustable angle on the knob itself. If 2/4/6 were too close at the "max close" setting, the only way to get it farther away is to turn the knob away to the left or right so that the shift pattern starts going farther away from you.

Any idea how much (inches) you're looking to move the shift pattern closer? That'll give me a good idea of whether I can help/am likely to go overboard/am useless to the situation.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As the design stands currently, I haven't implemented adjustable angle on the knob itself. If 2/4/6 were too close at the "max close" setting, the only way to get it farther away is to turn the knob away to the left or right so that the shift pattern starts going farther away from you.

Any idea how much (inches) you're looking to move the shift pattern closer? That'll give me a good idea of whether I can help/am likely to go overboard/am useless to the situation.

I'd say 2" would suffice. I can't really figure out a good way to measure accurately. Now that I've been messing around with it some more, it seems like it'd be cool to get it to closer to the left as well. I think that's also part of the problem. 5 is just too far away.. Would that be possible?
I think I'm getting a mental picture of what it is you're trying to make. It "looks" cool.. in my head. lol. Do you have a picture you'd care to share? Or do you not want to risk someone stealing your idea?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
I'm probably not far enough along to release a pic safely till I have prototype in hand, but I could PM you the current design. Unfortunately with the initial design I can't really get all that much angle (and it's not a super-tall knob) so I think the movement is about 3/4", not even close to 2". Does the shift plate really make the pattern that short that it needs to be 2" closer? We can of course do that, but it would have to be manufactured differently.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm probably not far enough along to release a pic safely till I have prototype in hand, but I could PM you the current design. Unfortunately with the initial design I can't really get all that much angle (and it's not a super-tall knob) so I think the movement is about 3/4", not even close to 2". Does the shift plate really make the pattern that short that it needs to be 2" closer? We can of course do that, but it would have to be manufactured differently.
Yeah! Lemme see! :yes:

You know, 3/4" makes more sense. I went back after I read your response. I kinda felt like I had messed something up. I miss measured. I measured from different points when measuring from the 1/3/5 and then 2/4/6 to the gray/silver edge of the boot. Also, I measured as if I was bringing that inside rod you can feel through the boot all the way down the the silver/gray edge, which isn't how it was stock. I'm thinking about 2" from where it is now is the max it could go without the rod hitting the bottom.

The shift plate does make it pretty short though! And its not even at its shortest setting. Which I was thinking about changing it to soonly...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts