2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been considering a suspension upgrade....springs vs coilovers.

Living in Northern Alberta there are some concerns doing this as the snowfall for 5 months of the year make this a challenge.

I like the idea of the BC coilovers as the ride height can be adjusted.

My questions to you folks:
If I raise the ride height in the winter and lower in the summer does that mean I would require a wheel alignment at the change of each season? Additionally will the camber change considerably?

Cheers!
Ceuls

·
Registered
641 Posts
It all depends on how much your raising/lowering it by. When i lowered mine on BC coils i only did an inch and my alignment didnt need to be changed at all. Even the camber was the same. if your dumped and want to raise it in the winter then yes you will need an alignment to counter the alignment you will need to get for lowering it so much in the first place. I would get adjustable camber arms in the rear, the coils in the front come with an adjustable camber. Basically, if your going from one extreme to the next you will need to get some type of alignment/adjustment. If your at a moderate drop and want to raise it a half inch to an inch, you should be fine.

Hope this was alittle bit helpful!

Reactions: Ceuls

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If you live in a climate that has snow and salt you be better off buying coilovers that are made of stainless steel instead of aluminium. H&R and KW are stainlees. Coilovers like BC that are made of aluminium have problems with the ride height adjustment rings seizing up after exposure to salt.

Reactions: Ceuls and Finchee

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the info. If I am spending the dough on coilovers I would raise to the highest ride height in the winter (as close to OEM) and in the summer lower as much as I can. If alignments are required at the change of every season this clearly will not be an option for me.

Salt isn't too much of an issue in Edmonton. Gets too cold for salt to be effective. The snowfall and size of ruts are my main concern, why I thought coilovers would be best based on their adjustability.

Maybe the Eibach Pro-kits or Racing Beat springs will be my safest bet.

So jealous of you folks who can actually lower your car and not have to use winter tires for 5 months of the year.

Cheers!
Ceuls

1 - 4 of 4 Posts