2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AutoProject
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would anyone be interest in LCA (Adjustable Lower Control Arms)?
I have a buddy of mine that if it gets enough interest could make them. As of right now he is still in the works of getting proper measurements and quality material to make them since LCA are an important factor for our cars.

Note: This is a stance item not intended for hard driving like track or autoX.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
I'm down for it what would be the predicted cost?

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
What do you intend to adjust? Camber is already handled by plates on our cars. If you want to push the lower ball joint 10mm forward for +2deg caster, however, I would be interested as well.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Dominic Biro made some (Dominant Engineering)

We know how that turned out.
Color just be aware they are not for hard use; they're used to increase camber even more, so you can get like -5 degrees or more out of the front. Stance thing only, not really great for anything either.

Personally.. if your buddy isn't that great I wouldn't even attempt it. It's not as simple as just welding a few rods together; there is a lot to figure out that matters. Not to mention, the worst that could happen is the break... like Dominic's early control arms, and then get really bad rep for it.

·
AutoProject
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dominic Biro made some (Dominant Engineering)

We know how that turned out.
Color just be aware they are not for hard use; they're used to increase camber even more, so you can get like -5 degrees or more out of the front. Stance thing only, not really great for anything either.

Personally.. if your buddy isn't that great I wouldn't even attempt it. It's not as simple as just welding a few rods together; there is a lot to figure out that matters. Not to mention, the worst that could happen is the break... like Dominic's early control arms, and then get really bad rep for it.
I forgot to mention that its mostly a stance thing.
We are both trying different types of material including the ones that Dominic used and also using stock lower control arms that we salvaged from a scrap yard to use as a base template but we could really use the same specs that dom used for his.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
... wat.

If you want more camber just slot the strut tower and run Corksport camber plates. CS plates top out at a little over -3 so you can get to -5 with a 1cm slot. If you do that then you can run 18x10 on stock fenders, is that not better than extending the LCA and actually losing fender clearance?

·
Registered
975 Posts
As much sense as it makes to do that, you kind of cant.

At max camber up front, you begin hitting the inner wall of the fender, so you can't really push any more out of it.

Bug it's true, Dominics LCAs actually decreased what you could fit in the fender because they did push the knuckle out in a further position. I just had / wanted some to adjust my roll angle but it didn't end up working unfortunately.

Bryan I say go for it, but definitely get interest from more people before you jump into such a massive project. The hardest part is going to be finding proper bushes and ball joints. The bushes will be a bit more easy, but the ball joints, I have NO idea where Dominic got those from. The 3 doesn't have any LCA that has [easily] replaceable ball joints, but of course the Focus does, however, what the Focus also has is larger ball joints, so you can't actually fit them in a 3 which is annoying.

So I say first step first, figure out where you can get replacement bushes for cheap and good quality ones, and then foremost a balljoint.

·
Parts test dummy
823 Posts
Im down as long as they shed some unsprung weight.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Don't count on it.
For them to be strong enough, a tubular setup will likely weigh more than the stock ones.

Dominic's LCAs weighed about 150%-175% the stock stamped pieces.

·
AutoProject
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't count on it.
For them to be strong enough, a tubular setup will likely weigh more than the stock ones.

Dominic's LCAs weighed about 150%-175% the stock stamped pieces.
I understand. I have contacted another possible custom fabricator since my first option flaked on me and isn't replying to calls or texts.

I will keep you guys up to date though

1 - 10 of 10 Posts