2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Adjust wiper delay?

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Alexcelbun 
#1 ·
Curious if anyone has tried to adjust the delay at which the front wiper goes after you mist windshield fluid? In my case the wipers always start moving before any fluid hits the windshield and this has led the wipers to leave tiny scratches from dirt and such dry wiping. I have a '15 GS. Anyone have a similar issue or know how to adjust the delay if possible?

#3 ·
My 2016 doesn't do that. The washer spray hits the windshield before the wipers start moving.
Does it spray as soon as the pump starts or does it take a second for the fluid to come out after the pump starts? There might be an issue with the pump allowing the hoses to drain back into the reservoir, and the pump has to fill the lines again before it can spray. This might explain the delay.

#4 ·
The delay is from the lines being empty (evaporation or drain back) so the pump has to prime the fluid into the lines again... What you can try doing is priming it yourself by pulling the washer lever very quickly multiple times until you see water hit the windshield then hold the lever for wash/wipe.

#5 ·
Curious if anyone has tried to adjust the delay at which the front wiper goes after you mist windshield fluid? In my case the wipers always start moving before any fluid hits the windshield and this has led the wipers to leave tiny scratches from dirt and such dry wiping. I have a '15 GS. Anyone have a similar issue or know how to adjust the delay if possible?
My 2016 doesn't do that. The washer spray hits the windshield before the wipers start moving.
Does it spray as soon as the pump starts or does it take a second for the fluid to come out after the pump starts? There might be an issue with the pump allowing the hoses to drain back into the reservoir, and the pump has to fill the lines again before it can spray. This might explain the delay.
The delay is from the lines being empty (evaporation or drain back) so the pump has to prime the fluid into the lines again... What you can try doing is priming it yourself by pulling the washer lever very quickly multiple times until you see water hit the windshield then hold the lever for wash/wipe.
This makes sense, I'll get someone to listen while I run the washer to see if the pump is going before the spray. It's always done this since I got it new about 2 years ago so it's good to know that's not normal. I'll post back with an update.

#6 ·
So the pump definitely runs as soon as I pull the lever, and the spray came pretty quick but the wipers go quicker. I'll try the trick with manually priming the hoses but still pretty annoying if it's something I'll have to remember every time. I'm going to also look at the service manual wiring diagrams and see if there's anything I could mod.

#9 ·
If the problem were big enough of a bother for me, I would install a "Y" connection in the power lead to the pump, activated with a horn button or toggle switch in the cabin. With such, the pump could be started independently, spraying windshield washer fluid onto the windshield first, then using the factory lever to activate the wipers.

If the Y connection causes back-feed to the wipers, a diode could be put in line to stop that.

#10 ·
I had some wiper scratches in my 15's windshield. Polished them out with glass polish from Autogeek.net. CarPro Ceri Glass Polish. Worked perfectly.

Reactions: Sonic_fast
#11 ·
Great product, used it for years :thumbup 1:

#12 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I've been using Rainx on the windshield which pretty much eliminates the need for wipers on the highway for me and when it gets dusty I've been washing it off with the garden hose. The washer lines are definitely losing their prime. I mentioned it to the dealership last service but they "couldn't find anything unusual" of course. Annoying but I've learned to deal with it, if the scratches get bad I'll try that glass polish, sounds like good stuff!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.