2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed how the housing in the trunk area doesn't light up. I have some Max leds in red I would like to add in there but before I do I want to know if anyone has tried this already and how complicated the wiring would be. 2014-03-21 07.13.13.jpg

·
Registered
61 Posts
you could just use one of the back-up lights for the extra brake light.

How do you use the backup lights as extra brake lights? I thought it was just me until I followed my daughter, she also has a 2014 Mazda three and I thought that the brake lights were very inadequate and they're hard to see from directly behind.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
How do you use the backup lights as extra brake lights? I thought it was just me until I followed my daughter, she also has a 2014 Mazda three and I thought that the brake lights were very inadequate and they're hard to see from directly behind.

Just swap out the brake lights to brighter ones or even led ones. Adding more of a low light bulb will still yield a low light.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts

Is your daughter's car tinted as well? If so how dark? Since the sedan's third brake light is on the inside, if you tint over it it'll decrease the visibility a bit. I've actually been behind a couple of mz3 with the non LED brake lights and they're not too bad.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Not sure how much more the LEDs will help. The problem is the surface area of the brake light in the entire taillight assembly is small and pushed out to the edge.

I know what you mean, I don't know what mazda was thinking with the small night/brake light. At least for the non-LED models. The surface area is very small.

You just throw a red bulb in the reverse light (a bit hard to find a red bulb - might have to go with LEDs) and jump the positive wire from the actual brake light to the reverse light's positive. But you have to first remove the reverse light positive.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just swap out the brake lights to brighter ones or even led ones. Adding more of a low light bulb will still yield a low light.

I'm looking to add bright leds to the trunk area and upgrade the current lighting. Not just add low lighting. These lights I want to add are brighter then stock lights but I want to increase the area the tail lights cover. I have a good idea of how to fit the lights but not how to wire it. Also I'm not moding the backup lights to do this. I'm adding a whole extra wiring for the brakes. If someone has a trunk wire guide for the sedan.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm looking to add bright leds to the trunk area and upgrade the current lighting. Not just add low lighting. These lights I want to add are brighter then stock lights but I want to increase the area the tail lights cover. I have a good idea of how to fit the lights but not how to wire it. Also I'm not moding the backup lights to do this. I'm adding a whole extra wiring for the brakes. If someone has a trunk wire guide for the sedan.
Pg 215 and 217 for the wiring diagram for the brake light

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pg 215 and 217 for the wiring diagram for the brake light
Awesome thanks that will help a lot. I'm gonna have to do some research on the whole process and find a good time to do it. It's currently - 20 c out so I might wait till things start to warm up to attempt this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts