2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone looked into adding the Mazda oil cooler delivered on cars going to Mexico?

It fits under the oil filter and is plumbed into the cooling system. Searching I found P/N 14-310A housing that supports the filter and the cooler P/N 14-700. Mazda seems to use the same part number for many engine families..... Also would the oil cooler be used on the CX-5 with 2.0 liter engine?

Something like this for our engines:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/showthread.php?35698-How-to-2004-2009-European-spec-oil-cooler

5/17/14 Update after looking at the car: There is a cast bracket supporting the drive axle that surrounds the oil filter housing. My current thinking is it may have to be a sandwich adapter at the filter with oil lines running to a traditional cooler in front of the radiator.

Thanks for any info.

Rob VN

Attachments

·
Registered
583 Posts
Are you moving to Mexico permanently ? If not , I wouldn't worry as today's cars are designed to handle heat. Unless the vehicle is towing . Waste of money with very little benefit if any. AND if cooling is required manufacturers usually route fluid through the rad or other ways.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Live in FL, almost like Mexico

Roger. I live in FL and it is hot for 9 months out of the year. I believe overkill is just about right...

·
Registered
583 Posts
When you say HOT , what outside temperatures are you talking about ? One has to remember that these engines are designed to run hotter than those made 10 years ago. Part of the reason why engine oil has been specific to using synthetics .

·
Registered
310 Posts
Just wanted to add - keeping some parts hot can actually be beneficial. Specifically, it's been said that higher temperatures around the valves aid in the prevention of carbon build up.

If you find that your radiator's electric fans are staying on nearly every time you finish a drive, you might have a hear problem. So far that's only happened to me once on a 400 mile summer drive. But I'm in the northeast, so I'd say we don't ever reach "HOT".

·
Registered
96 Posts
The Mazda 3 thermostat is 185 degrees, took my car for a 40 mile drive outside temp was 92 degrees. The car's water temp stayed between 185 and 186.8. This engine does not run that hot ( most cars thermostats are 190 to 195 degrees). My 86 VW Golf is 192. I don't think a oil cooler is needed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts