2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always thought it was cheap-o of Mazda to not add the LED door pull lighting to the rear doors and felt that would have really made the car a bit more complete in respect to the interior lighting..
So I added LED’s to the door pull and door cup holders and here’s how I went about it.

I used 3mm blue LEDs and wired them myself with 1K ohm ( instead of 470 Ohm, to keep things dimmer) resistors in series but pre-wired ready to go +12 volt LED’s are available. I saw a 4 pack at Advance Auto for $9.99
Use anything you want here, but to keep things on the dimmer side I used the single 3mm types.

Here’s a step by step guide with pics so let’s jump right in…
First remove the door panels
Pop the cover behind the door lever and remove the screw behind it
100_9307.JPG
Next remove the silver handle trims starting at the bottom and work your way up.
Remove the 2 screws you now see
100_9309.JPG
100_9310.JPG
100_9312.JPG
Next remove the window switch plate, and disconnect the wire harness going to the window switch
100_9313.JPG
100_9314.JPG
100_9315.JPG
Now, starting at the lower side, closest to the door jamb, beneath the window switch, pop the cover going around the perimeter of the panel then lift upwards but do not pull it fully away yet.
The door lever housing pops out the front of the panel, rotate the lever housing and you can fully remove the door panel
100_9316.JPG
100_9317.JPG
100_9319.JPG
Let’s make some LED holes and here’s where I put them
100_9320.JPG
100_9320a.JPG
100_9326.JPG
This is looking at the upper handle from the rear of the panel, where you see my hand at the top of the pic is where the door lever goes. There is a hole to the right and a bit lower to the screw you see here. ( sorry for the blurry pic) Drill a hole to the front side from this hole, and you’ll come out here. This is to pass the led wires through to the back of the panel
100_9322.JPG
100_9323.JPG
LED assembly/ I used about 8-10 inches of wire per lead and made 4 units total
100_9328.JPG
Let’s install these LED’s.
Although the LED’s fit snugly I used a little hot glue to secure them to be safe
100_9329.JPG
100_9330.JPG
100_9331.JPG
100_9334.JPG
The biggest challenge I felt was passing wires through the door jamb connectors and hence I decided to obtain ground from inside the door and run only one wire, 12V, through the connectors.
I must ammend this threaad as the ground i used was not a true ground. Either find a bolt inside the door that is ground or run a second wire through the connector to get grounnd from inside the car
I tied the neg side of each LED together and the pos side of each LED together to a single connector each. I then connected the ground side of the LED’s to the ground wire from the window switch and used large shrink tubing to insulate the connector. I did the neg side only for now; the pos side will get shrink tubing right before the panel gets put back on
100_9346.JPG
100_9347.JPG

See part 2 below

Reactions: PhantomGhost

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Adding Door Pull / Cup Holder LEDs to Rear Doors Prt 2

Now to run one wire for each door, start by removing the rear scuff plate and front scuff plate, they pop right off
100_9349.JPG
100_9350.JPG
100_9352.JPG
Next is the large black panel, where the seat belt pre tensioner’s are and covers the inside door jamb
100_9353.JPG
Start from the rear and pull, then the front and pull, work your way up. There are only the two lower clips and two upper clips, the sides are held in place by the heavy weld seam
and these tabs, be careful and take your time
100_9355.JPG
100_9356.JPG
100_9357.JPG
Here you see the whole door and inside exposed. The wire harness goes through the weather boots, through the door jamb connectors and out the door jamb inside the car
100_9358.JPG
Peel back the weather boot from the door jamb connector
100_9359.JPG
Push down on the lock tab and work your way around the connector, the connector backs straight out. I forgot to take a pic of this, but see the curved mold line with a vertical mold line just above the lock tab? Drill a hole here
100_9360.JPG
100_9361.JPG
100_9362.JPG
I fed the wire through the wire guide, into the crinkle boot and out to the connector plate and through the drilled hole in said plate, then pulled all the slack through
100_9363.JPG
100_9364.JPG
100_9364a.JPG
This is a view from inside the car of the connector in the door jamb, see that arrow pointing up and the square opening just below it? That’s where your wire goes
The connector goes back into the door jamb, the wire goes through the hole that you drilled in the plate and the wire then goes through the square hole on the connector
100_9365.JPG
100_9372.JPG
100_9373.JPG
I ran the wire down to the floor along the harness and tucked it under the edge of the mouse fur carpet, running towards the front of the car. Then under the panel ahead of the front scuff plates you popped off earlier, up to the fuse box on the drivers side and behind the center console on the passenger side.
Drop the passenger upper foot well panel and follow the cross member brace that runs behind the console, then up to the fuse box
100_9375.JPG
Replace all the panels you took off in reverse order. The large center panel has two clips on the bottom and two pegs at the top but the sides are held in place by the welt seam. Pull the seal outwards and over the clips on the center panel
100_9377.JPG
When removing the door panels I broke 2 fasteners on each door, the same 2 on each side actually and I found these replacement fasteners for Nissan’s but these fit just fine. The white one is from the Mazda and the gray one is from the Dorman package. They were $2.50 for a pack of 4 pcs and I found them at Autozone and Advance had them too..
I connected the pos wire to the pos lead of the LED’s and shrink tubed these before fully re-installing the door panel
100_9378.JPG
Lastly, to allow for the LED and wire in the door handle, cut away the rib on the back side of the silver trim.
100_9383.JPG
100_9384.JPG
For power I had originally planned to tap into the same circuit with the factory front handle pull LED’s but after some thought I decided to put them on their own switch. It isn’t often that I have people in the back so it made more sense to have them on a separate circuit.
I have already modified the 2 small button blanks next to the DSC/AFS switches for my “on demand” dual color foot well lighting, and I had made the large button into a rocker but that never really worked well, the physics to allow it to operate properly just wasn’t there and have it look untouched. I found at Advance Auto an LED “touch” switch that happened to fit just right into the large switch hole. The LED’s on the switch were really bright and the switch face was hardly aesthetically pleasing so to kill two birds with one stone, I used a tinted piece of clear plastic to give it a better look and to dim the light output of the switches LED’s. The plastic did not interfere with the operation of the switch either (to my surprise)
I tapped into the “switched” 12V pwr socket (the one above the shifter) via an Add-A-Circuit. The first pic is no pwr, the second its powered but switched “off”(red led) the next is the switch “on” ( blue led) the next pic w/o the plastic cover and the last shows the plastic cover half on. The LED switch is a snug fit but is not locked into place so when taking the car in for service, I push the switch fully into the hole, where it bottoms out just enough to allow the original black cover to sit on top flush so it looks like I never touched it. I had modified this cover to about 1/8” for the rocker switch attempt.

If you want to know more about converting this button blank to accommodate a switch, then I recommend you read jricesterenater’s excellent thread “Making the Big Non-Functional Dash Button Functional” in the HOW TO section…text book write up
100_9385.JPG
100_9386.JPG
100_9387.JPG
100_9388.JPG
100_9389.JPG
100_9400.JPG
100_9402.JPG

And the results!
100_9393.JPG

·
Peanutbutter Jelly!!!
361 Posts
awesome, I've thought about this for a while but also to illuminate the front door holders as well but electrical work and figuring out resistances etc is new to me and I didn't know where to begin.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Wow, amazing. This is a great writeup even for just door disassembly. I doubt I'll ever go this far, but I maybe I'll give it a try after I get my other lighting stuff squared away and figure out why my hatch aux power keeps shorting out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
ZOMG! Thats alot of work for led's in the back lol. Nice writeup.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I wuz bored and since I don"t have the spare $$ for any real mods, it kept me entertained and since I also have exhausted all the other ambient lighting in the front, it kinda made sense.
Enjoy and thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts