2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, I am wanting to add a third power plug to allow for my GPS cord to be plugged in all the time and out of the way. What wire should I tap in to that will turn off when I turn the car off? I know the plug in the center console is a constant on so that is out of the question. should I try the radio power wire?

thanks

·
the auditd0rk
278 Posts
Just like the title says, I am wanting to add a third power plug to allow for my GPS cord to be plugged in all the time and out of the way. What wire should I tap in to that will turn off when I turn the car off? I know the plug in the center console is a constant on so that is out of the question. should I try the radio power wire?

thanks
You can always tap the cigarette lighter. It runs off the accessory lead - no power when off.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure thing... I used that lead when installing my radar detector because it was pretty easy to get to.
Ok... I tried to get to it today... I must be going at it wrong. lol How did you get to it? I had the radio out and started to pull the side trim out but gave up and put everything back because I didn't know wtf i was doing. lol

·
the auditd0rk
278 Posts
Ok... I tried to get to it today... I must be going at it wrong. lol How did you get to it? I had the radio out and started to pull the side trim out but gave up and put everything back because I didn't know wtf i was doing. lol
I pulled the cup holder then popped out the trim around the shifter. From there I was able to get to the back of the lighter, tapping the power wire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I pulled the cup holder then popped out the trim around the shifter. From there I was able to get to the back of the lighter, tapping the power wire.
sweet thanks! I was making it harder than it needed to be... (thats what she said)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts