2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Oh and regarding your 5.25 speakers, there are definitely options. That's provided that you are not satisfied with them. It sounds like you might be however. Do you know what frequencies those are handling at this point? If they are only delivering "low" frequencies, where are the highs coming from? In mine, the 8" door woofers are paired with the corner dash speakers so as I build my system, I am developing a solution that addresses them "together". Just how I'm choosing to address mine. There are different ways to go of course.
The highs are coming from the front doors. The tweeters and "twiddlers" are in the front door. There is some center stage speaker in the middle of the dash, behind the display.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Since you have some time, I would really suggest that you give some thought to what you want to accomplish. I know that our systems are different but knowing your endgame makes the process easier.

You have enough known quantities even before you tear anything apart. I understand that you want a super clean wiring solution and you'll get that. If you are not sure what areas are lacking in your case, listen to the current system for a while longer. In my case, the more I listened to it, the more components that I decided to upgrade.

Feel free to list what you're dissatisfied with and maybe we can make some specific recommendations. Good luck with the seat removal. Let us know how things are coming along.
I am not close to making any moves yet. I am going to continue slowly pulling pieces out, measuring them and putting them right back in. Yes I am really listening to everything before I make any moves. This is something I eventually do with every car I drive, since I was 16 years old. I always eventually do it but as I get older I find I take more time scoping out the options and measuring twice before I commit to a solution.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
At what height on the doors and how many speakers per side?
I can take some pictures but the tweeter is right about where they were on the 2nd generation Mazda 3, the twiddler is just maybe 8 inches below. I am going by memory though.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am not close to making any moves yet. I am going to continue slowly pulling pieces out, measuring them and putting them right back in. Yes I am really listening to everything before I make any moves. This is something I eventually do with every car I drive, since I was 16 years old. I always eventually do it but as I get older I find I take more time scoping out the options and measuring twice before I commit to a solution.
Good approach. What do you mean by "measuring"? Are you referring to sizes or voltages, resistance, etc?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oh and regarding your 5.25 speakers, there are definitely options. That's provided that you are not satisfied with them. It sounds like you might be however. Do you know what frequencies those are handling at this point? If they are only delivering "low" frequencies, where are the highs coming from? In mine, the 8" door woofers are paired with the corner dash speakers so as I build my system, I am developing a solution that addresses them "together". Just how I'm choosing to address mine. There are different ways to go of course.
Im going to do 3 way active up front with custom kicks for the 6.5" i have.

·
Registered
379 Posts
It was said in a joking manner. You know how a carpenter says measure twice cut once? Meaning I am not going into this without having everything planned out.
???... Okay, I getcha! I asked because I took measurements of the space under the seats. The photos are amateurish but the measurements take into account the Bose amp, the vents, and the height clearances. If you'd like to use them, you are welcome to them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Might i suggest something else... ive never seen this done for kicks before. For amps, yes, but not midbass.

He removed 3" of carpet and sound deadening and replaced it with a false floor thats an enclosure...

That just does not seem like me. I am not really into modding to that depth.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I am thinking of this amp for the rear sub.

This amp should cover the other locations. I am questioning the 6 channel amp and actually considering the 8 channel flavor of that one.

This for a sound processor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
JL Audio also now has an RD Series that has a clipping indicator, very handy. I am contemplating using the RD series and doing a 5 channel amp plus a 4 channel. Decisions, decisions. I know there is a lot of hate on the Kicker entry level speakers but I ran those in my 2008 Mazda and honestly I have always been pleased with the sound and after 11 years I only had one blow. I may end up going with the focal but anything would be an improvement. I think the DSP is going to be the biggest game changer.

·
Registered
452 Posts
JL Audio also now has an RD Series that has a clipping indicator, very handy. I am contemplating using the RD series and doing a 5 channel amp plus a 4 channel. Decisions, decisions. I know there is a lot of hate on the Kicker entry level speakers but I ran those in my 2008 Mazda and honestly I have always been pleased with the sound and after 11 years I only had one blow. I may end up going with the focal but anything would be an improvement. I think the DSP is going to be the biggest game changer.
The CS line has Dean and Fernando over at Five Star really excited. Dean cant stop talking about them.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts