2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You obviously have a sedan, right? I'm not sure what 8" speaker you're referring to but I'll drop this in here just for the hatchback folks. Maybe an earlier model year when they had the spare tire unit?

On the 2016 hatch with Bose there are two 8" drivers, one in each of the front doors. Two 5.5 or 5.75“ speakers, one in each of the back doors. Two 3-4" speakers in the D pillars. And 3 dash speakers of which, I would leave the center one alone. By far the speakers that have the most impact and the corner dash ones and the two larger front door ones.

As I layout my system, those 4 are going to get the best quality speakers. By that I mean component speakers, driven by a super clean AMP (probably AB), with tightly controlled frequencies delivered to each. I am also flirting with the idea of adding a pair of compression drivers under the dash as well.

All the rear speakers (with the exception of a separate sub) are far less critical. I am more than happy to install a good pair of coaxial units in the doors, and I may do nothing to the small ones in the pillars.

As for the connections, I understand the desire for a wiring harness specifically made for our vehicles but I don't see the lack of one as any real hurdle. We are fortunate in all honesty. There are many applications that don't offer us the biggest gift, and that is (as @Talontsi90 pointed out), a clean, low power signal to tap. We don't even have to touch the head unit, hooray!

Anyway, this is a nice thread where we can exchange ideas!
I have a Sedan. When I mention the 8 inch, it is the one at the rear deck. When you pop the trunk there is a small shallow woofer mounted.

The ones in my picture are 5 1/4" that are at my feet. I just pulled them out and took those pictures myself.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hmm, interesting. Are you sure that is one of the front door speakers?
Here you go dude. This is the mounting hole / box for the ones by my feet, this is not the door but more under the dash than anything else. This is the mounting hole for the speakers in the above picture.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So bigger question is how bad are these little 5 1/4 Bose? I am trying to come up with what I am going to replace all of these speakers with or if I just use them. This little Bose woofer seems to have a decent excursion. Thoughts on what to replace these with?

·
Registered
320 Posts
So bigger question is how bad are these little 5 1/4 Bose? I am trying to come up with what I am going to replace all of these speakers with or if I just use them. This little Bose woofer seems to have a decent excursion. Thoughts on what to replace these with?
This comes down to your expectations. I have replaced every single Bose system in all the cars I've owned. It's a shame that you have to take a hit and pay for it just to get different upper trim levels.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
This comes down to your expectations. I have replaced every single Bose system in all the cars I've owned. It's a shame that you have to take a hit and pay for it just to get different upper trim levels.
Well honestly here where I live there was only maybe 5 white Mazda 3's in a 100 mile radius. I did not have many options.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Well honestly here where I live there was only maybe 5 white Mazda 3's in a 100 mile radius. I did not have many options.
Yup, I get that. It was more of a general comment. But back to your question now that I understand what you're looking at. If it were me, I would pull those speakers out and replace them. It is not an expensive upgrade and it will make a real difference if they're right in front of you (even if mounted low).

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know we're mostly talking the Bose system here, but just wanted to add my findings last night when I looked at the amp under the seat in my non Bose system. This was strictly a brief visual, but it has 3 plugs, one obviously being the power with the larger gauge wires. The middle looks like speaker output wires, and then there's a blue plug with some extremely small gauge wires. I'm guessing these are digital I/O from the head unit.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Yup, I get that. It was more of a general comment. But back to your question now that I understand what you're looking at. If it were me, I would pull those speakers out and replace them. It is not an expensive upgrade and it will make a real difference if they're right in front of you (even if mounted low).
My biggest issue is "options". I honestly think the 5 1/4 bose woofers under the dash are acceptable. There just are not enough options unless maybe you are spending a ton of money on just those two speakers. Those little guys are pretty stout and have very good excursion compared to your typical door speakers.

Now the rest of them probably just have to go. I need to pull them and measure to see what options there are on replacing them. Next comes a decision on what to do about amplification. Those little bose under the seat to be so tiny is actually a fairly strong amp for powering that many speakers. My amps will need to be somewhat small and hidden easily. I would rather have a stealthy system.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I have 4 days off starting tomorrow. I am pulling my passenger seat and taking my camera and getting some very good high-res pictures of the amps and connectors. I am then going to see if I can find either a pre-fab connector or a plug on mouser and just punch the ends down myself. I am NOT doing the ghetto cut the wires and tape that shit. I see some audio connectors for other vehicles that look suspiciously like the exact same connector.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have 4 days off starting tomorrow. I am pulling my passenger seat and taking my camera and getting some very good high-res pictures of the amps and connectors. I am then going to see if I can find either a pre-fab connector or a plug on mouser and just punch the ends down myself. I am NOT doing the ghetto cut the wires and tape that shit. I see some audio connectors for other vehicles that look suspiciously like the exact same connector.
Since you have some time, I would really suggest that you give some thought to what you want to accomplish. I know that our systems are different but knowing your endgame makes the process easier.

You have enough known quantities even before you tear anything apart. I understand that you want a super clean wiring solution and you'll get that. If you are not sure what areas are lacking in your case, listen to the current system for a while longer. In my case, the more I listened to it, the more components that I decided to upgrade.

Feel free to list what you're dissatisfied with and maybe we can make some specific recommendations. Good luck with the seat removal. Let us know how things are coming along.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Oh and regarding your 5.25 speakers, there are definitely options. That's provided that you are not satisfied with them. It sounds like you might be however. Do you know what frequencies those are handling at this point? If they are only delivering "low" frequencies, where are the highs coming from? In mine, the 8" door woofers are paired with the corner dash speakers so as I build my system, I am developing a solution that addresses them "together". Just how I'm choosing to address mine. There are different ways to go of course.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts