2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was thinking about adding a 12v outlet on the left hand side of the steering wheel with the button cluster there. I figured it would be used for GPS and my cellphone and keep them easily plugged in without going to the center console.

Can anyone give my advice about whether or not this is a good idea? Any tips and also if this will affect the warranties in any way for the car.

Attachments

·
Da belle of da ball.
3,542 Posts
If you have the room behind there, go for it. As far as warranty, as long as your wiring doesn't burn your car down, I doubt you'd get denied a claim because of it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The depth behind that panel would be my main question.

Check out the Magnuson-Moss Warrant Act. It basically states that a warranty claim can not be dismissed due to modifications UNLESS the manufacturer can prove that your modification specifically caused the problem.

If you use the correct size wire, fuse it properly, use the correct connections, correctly protect your wiring, and do not damage any existing wiring through the use of inappropriate taps, you wont have any problems.

If you don't know what you're doing on the electrical side, then I would advise finding someone that does to help you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you take the extra time... you can run it underneath the dash near the pedals. I ran all my wires near there. No clutter. No mess.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Because of the curvature, I don't think it will be very possible to make it look good. Even if you don't care about that, the next buyer would. I'd route the cables instead and just have the power adapter(s) hidden underneath. It would look especially good if you hid one with a dock like Air Dock and bought Qi adapters for your devices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts