2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every knows our lighting in the hatch area is just really horrible, even after replacing the oem bulb with a led, it's better but still not sufficient. So I added 2 flexible LED strips inside of the vents. Lighting is much better, now the last picture is over-exposed so it's NOT THAT bright, more of a subtle white light and its much better all around. I was thinking of buying 2 more strips, 2 on each side making 4 total for total aweosme-ness haha. Enjoy!!

Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Vehicle door Trunk

Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle door Automotive lighting Vehicle

Audio equipment Subwoofer Vehicle Car Trunk

I tapped the wires where the oem hatch light is. On the 2nd gen, (not sure on the 1st), purple is positive, white is negative for your reference.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Looks great! I like the idea for the location, and will use that when I do my upgrade...

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah it's perfect, actually you can mount it on the outside with double sticky tape. Can't really see the leds til you're at an angle or bending down looking directly at them. Putting them inside of the grill did hide some light, so I do wish it was brighter. Thinking of adding 2 more strips in there to see if that will improve it. So far it's much better.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
So every knows our lighting in the hatch area is just really horrible, even after replacing the oem bulb with a led, it's better but still not sufficient. So I added 2 flexible LED strips inside of the vents. Lighting is much better, now the last picture is over-exposed so it's NOT THAT bright, more of a subtle white light and its much better all around. I was thinking of buying 2 more strips, 2 on each side making 4 total for total aweosme-ness haha. Enjoy!!

View attachment 84418

View attachment 84434

View attachment 84442

I tapped the wires where the oem hatch light is. On the 2nd gen, (not sure on the 1st), purple is positive, white is negative for your reference.
Brilliant placement/location idea!! I have actually given location much thought and that hadn't yet even crossed my mind...I'm impressed. The lights I'm going with are TOTAL overkill but I don't want to think about it again after the mod.
These are Morimoto's :)

5K WHITE XB LED STRIP LIGHTS - XB Strips - Accent Lights
getting the 12" pair!

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! After a little searching, someone here on this forum has already done it so I just did it too haha. It's a great location and it's perfect, seriously this should of came stock from factory, you literally can't see anything at night time!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
@pdc001
I will post pics when I have them installed but I really think these are overkill which I'm fine with but hoping that doesn't present unforeseen challenges or problems. The same reason you like them is the same reason I like them so we will see what I can sort out.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Super cool bud. It can be annoying at times, more trunk light sure would be helpful. Will consider for the future!

·
Registered
218 Posts
pdc, do you have links to where you bought yours from?

thanks,
jegonzo3

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hmmm, good idea! I might try this on the 2014 Mazda 3. I was going to fit two long strips to the underside of the parcel shelf but facing forward so they can't dazzle anyone behind. That would necessitate a plug-in cable which you could easily detach when removing the shelf. I'll have a think about which route to take.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Very cool! I did the same thing on my passenger side (pics are over in the "What did you do to your car" thread) except I used tube LEDs

Reactions: pdc001

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Very cool! I did the same thing on my passenger side (pics are over in the "What did you do to your car" thread) except I used tube LEDs
I believe I copied you haha, I remember looking at a thread roughly about a year ago and said to myself, have to do this sometime!! .......and a year later rolls by haha.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I changed up the LED strip to a Cob panel, I've been very impressed on how they perform so I decided to trade them in.

Old setup (like a few days old setup lol)

Audio equipment Subwoofer Vehicle Car Trunk

New setup only on the LEFT side, led strip is on the right. Kinda give you a side-by-side comparison.

Vehicle Car Trunk Hatchback Subcompact car

So far it's brighter, not a whole lot brighter but it's brighter for sure. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Looks good pdc, now, where did you get these (for those that want to go this way).

Reactions: pdc001

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looks good pdc, now, where did you get these (for those that want to go this way).
For the cob panels I used these: DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting ....I bought the led strips form them too.....honestly both of these you can find them on ebay for really cheap. DDM is about 20mins from me so I only chose that route because of that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Cool, thanks again pdc.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So a thought came into my mind, probably have to redo some of the wiring to my other leds but if I needed to take out the plastic vents for any reason, it'll be kind of a paint to remove the LEDs so I went ahead and bought some computer 4 pin molex connectors. You really just need two but that's all my store had.

Wire Technology Electronics Auto part Electronic device

Vehicle door Wire Floor

Wire Electrical connector Cable Technology Electronic device

Since I used two LED Cob panels on each side, I used these splice connectors to make them into one so I don't have to run a lot of wire. Plus LED uses very little current so I don't have to worry about overloading the wires.

Wire Light Technology Electronic device Cable

For those who are wondering how they look looking directly at them.

Light Lighting Neon Fluorescent lamp Night

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.