2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Adding a Subwoofer. 10" or 12"

Well, I have read and reread the sweet plug and play write up @wcarman1 did http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/65953-bose-stereo-subwoofer-install-plug-play.html and it makes me really want to get a subwoofer now. I like that everything I could need is currently available on amazon. The write up is simple but offers all the needed information. SO that leaves me with wondering if I should get the 10 inch version or the 12 inch version.

what size subs are you guys using, and please share your thoughts. I would like to purchase tomorrow so I can get a nice Monday delivery.

10" box dims:13.3 x 18 x D1 8.9 - D2 5.9 (in)
haven't found the 12" dims yet

·
Registered
290 Posts
Powerbass 12" with the loaded ported enclosure
It's pretty big @ 21 x 17 x 16 inches but fits perfectly fine in my sedan with plenty of room to spare

I doubt it would fit good in a hatch, maybe just barely since it's a foot shorter in length

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts
Am running 2 10's.

I really like that setup. Been thinking about doing something similar. I've always had systems that utilized wasted space instead of subs in a box in the back. Maybe because I'm older now I'm reluctant to yank the spare completely out. It was a no brainier before lol

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
I really like that setup. Been thinking about doing something similar. I've always had systems that utilized wasted space instead of subs in a box in the back. Maybe because I'm older now I'm reluctant to yank the spare completely out. It was a no brainier before lol
Yeah under the lid is my spare, tool bag and jack.

My subs have big magnets so the "boot" floor is actually raised about 100mm from OEM.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah under the lid is my spare, tool bag and jack.

My subs have big magnets so the "boot" floor is actually raised about 100mm from OEM.
It look awesome! I want to build something similar, do you have build log somewhere? I check the boot but the floor's not flat. How do you mount everything? Thanks!

·
Registered
234 Posts
When I bought my Mazda 3 with Bose audio, I was really surprised that they have not included a subwoofer in the boot. My old 2004 Mazda 6 was with Bose audio and it had a factory subwoofer placed in the spare tire. Very clever idea for not wasting additional space for subwoofer enclosure and it was very effective indeed. I'm missing this punch from the sub in the Mazda 3.....

·
Registered
431 Posts
It look awesome! I want to build something similar, do you have build log somewhere? I check the boot but the floor's not flat. How do you mount everything? Thanks!

No build log unfortunately but box was quiet complex to build to put the subs in that position and keep the spare. If I made it as a 1 piece box it would never have fitted so is it 3 pieces that bolt together once fitted.

·
Mazda 3 Lover
134 Posts
Well, I have read and reread the sweet plug and play write up @wcarman1 did http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2017-mazda-3-skyactiv-how-guides/65953-bose-stereo-subwoofer-install-plug-play.html and it makes me really want to get a subwoofer now. I like that everything I could need is currently available on amazon. The write up is simple but offers all the needed information. SO that leaves me with wondering if I should get the 10 inch version or the 12 inch version.

what size subs are you guys using, and please share your thoughts. I would like to purchase tomorrow so I can get a nice Monday delivery.

10" box dims:13.3 x 18 x D1 8.9 - D2 5.9 (in)
haven't found the 12" dims yet
have you been able to hook your sub? did you hook it with an amp to the default head unit?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi ianik777,
I hooked mine up to the default headunit line level outputs - the kicker sub I have under the passenger seat does Hi to Low level conversion. I have a pic of the wiring example in this thread: http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...hs8-underseat-sub-db-test-2014-mazda-3-a.html

Since that first post of mine, I have added Anderson connectors to the +/-12 supplies and also XT60 connectors to the line level wires. So now I can chuck in a 12" sub into the boot when I want; just disconnect from under the seat where this 8" sub is and throw the sub box wiring wire over the backseat to connect up. I only do this when I use the car and going somewhere where I wont require the use of the boot.
I can tell you that it is ridiculously loud - this is a ported box also. I haven't put my dB meter on it yet but will post a video when I do.

Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
where are those ? I had to cut my OEM wiring when I used LOC's (now have a PAC instead though).
Front right side (Drivers side in Australia) above the OBD2 connector in the harness. There is an amp module there (extension of the head unit if you will) for the factory speakers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts