2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a new 2017 GT to replace a 2014 iGT that was in a wreck. I opted to not get the Premium package because I have a manual transmission (and you don't get a discount since you don't need paddle shifters), and I personally never used the navigation system in my 2014. However, some of the other things, like the smart cruise, smart break, and lane departure seem cool. When I purchased my car, I mentioned my opinion about the Navigation. The dealership told me they could add it on for $300 or $400 if I ever decided I wanted it. I was curious if I could do the same with the other things. I noticed that there's a bunch of electronics near my rear view mirror with what looks like some sensors and some sort of camera. Does this mean the hardware to support those premium features is on my car, and it just needs to be used?

·
Registered
372 Posts
However, some of the other things, like the smart cruise, smart break, and lane departure seem cool. When I purchased my car, I mentioned my opinion about the Navigation. The dealership told me they could add it on for $300 or $400 if I ever decided I wanted it. I was curious if I could do the same with the other things. I noticed that there's a bunch of electronics near my rear view mirror with what looks like some sensors and some sort of camera. Does this mean the hardware to support those premium features is on my car, and it just needs to be used?
Adding the navigation is as simple as inserting the appropriate SDcard into the slot for it. You can buy these cards cheaper on Ebay.

Adding the other parts isn't remotely as simple. You'd have to add in the appropriate hardware, and then set the "ASbuilt" options correctly. You might even need a new windshield and housing behind the rearview mirror, it depends on what you're adding and what's already there. Some things are possible; for instance, for people whose cars didn't come with cruise control, there's a thread on here somewhere that tells you how to add it. It's not *that* easy, but it is doable: you have to buy the steering wheel buttons and add those in, but that's all you need for hardware. Then you have to get an "ELM327" programmer on Ebay that's modified with a particular switch, then use the "Forscan" software to set the "ASbuilt" configuration data correctly. The thread goes into some detail on all this. For other stuff though, it probably hasn't been figured out yet. There's a bunch of people working on it though.

Personally, I'd like to add the "lane-keeping" feature from the '17s to my '15, but that probably wouldn't be so simple since it never even came as an option on the '15s. (I do have the lane-departure warning system though, so it might be as simple as replacing one electronic module with another, but getting the system to recognize it and use it is surely another matter.) It's too bad we don't have a Mazda engineer here to help us with this stuff :smile2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I'm not in a rush to add anything on, but that lane keeping feature and autobreak sound pretty cool.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts