2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all!
I just bought a Supervision 120W CURVED led-ramp (you have to google it as I don't have the power to ad links) and a connection cable kit including a relay. I have installed this type of extra lights before but my newly bought Mazda 3 2017 have LED as main beam. I need to know if there is a cable on the cars original headlights i can tap in to, to connect to the relay so the LED-ramp turns on when the cars original main beem turns on.

I hope you understand me. Had to use google translate for some word.

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
I'm sure there is a power source you can tap into, but you''ll have to be more specific as to what exactly the intent is. On all the time, or with the high beam only, with low beam only?

BTW I googled it and got this translation - :laughing001:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I need the led-ramp turn on/off when the high beam goes on/off. Pin 86 on the relay needs to connect to the high beam positive cable.
It is hard to explain. Would be easier if I could ad links/pictures to this forum...

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
If thats so, why not just tap into the power feed to the high beam bulbs? Should be easy enough to do unless you want it switched so it can be turned off separately.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like I need a Canbus-interface to make this work. It was rather expensive so i put this on ice..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok. I changed my mind and ordered a "Canm8 Cannect Highbeam" and a "Canm8 Cannect Contactless Reader".

Has anyone installed this kind of things in their Mazda 3?
I'm unsure where I should tap in on the cars canbus cable. Is it on the OBD Socket?

Edit:
After some Googeling I only need to know what cables are CAN-High and CAN-Low. Anyone knows what color the cables have?
I think the cables are located at the ODB socket.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Seems like I need a Canbus-interface to make this work. It was rather expensive so i put this on ice..
Against the law in Texas. Okay in Colorado.

Reactions: erklep

·
Registered
720 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Obviously nobody on the left side of the pond. :)

I can't help for another reason: I don't mess with vehicle canbus systems. My old-fashioned way is to wire stuff separately to only the straight 12VDC system without computer modulation in between. Keeps things simple for a simpleton.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Obviously nobody on the left side of the pond. :)

I can't help for another reason: I don't mess with vehicle canbus systems. My old-fashioned way is to wire stuff separately to only the straight 12VDC system without computer modulation in between. Keeps things simple for a simpleton.
There is no other way than to use a canbus interface. You cant connect the relay directly to the cars original led high beam cable as the power is to weak. I found another adapter, after I ordered the canbus interface that might work with connect to the cars led high beam cable. I will buy that if the canbus interface wont work.

If I get this working, I will make a howto and post it here. I drive every day on a very dark road with lots of animals (deer, rabits etc.) crossing. The cars original high beam is simply just not enough.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You'd be best off putting it on a 3rd party switch. If you do it to your highs it'll end up turning on when you "flash to pass" and blind everyone instead of getting one person's attention.
Also, mazda doesn't use Canbus, so that'd be of no use to you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You'd be best off putting it on a 3rd party switch. If you do it to your highs it'll end up turning on when you "flash to pass" and blind everyone instead of getting one person's attention.
Also, mazda doesn't use Canbus, so that'd be of no use to you.
Mazda doesn't use Canbus? Are you sure? All modern cars use Canbus. The Canbus interface I ordered is compatible with Mazda 3. I even found a site where a dude is trying to revers engineer Mazda's Canbus, but that was a older Mazda I think.

Also, I must point out that I do not cut any cables. The Canbus interface connects inductively. You snap the interface around the cables, so it is easy to undo it. If it does not work, I have the option to send the Canbus interface back.

Seems like I can post links now. This is what i ordered:

CANM8 CANNECT HIGHBEAM
CANM8 CANNECT CONTACLESS READER

If this does not work I have the option to try this:
XBB Lightswitch
Could only find a Swedish site. You connect this to the cars High beam cable. No cutting cables with this either.

I will get my Canbus interface in the week to come and I will have it tested out next weekend. Let see how this turns out... :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Considering you can drop in a HID Ballast without any canbus error canceller or flicker cancelers, this is what leads me to believe it is not a can bus system.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I could not make this to work. The canbus interface recognize the cars canbus but does not send a signal that the high beam is on. I guess that Mazda don't use canbus for the lights. Perhaps I connected it wrong, but i don't think so. I connected it at the odb-socket.

I'm really disappointed ;(

·
Super Moderator
6,163 Posts
I could not make this to work. The canbus interface recognize the cars canbus but does not send a signal that the high beam is on. I guess that Mazda don't use canbus for the lights. Perhaps I connected it wrong, but i don't think so. I connected it at the odb-socket.

I'm really disappointed ;(
Seems to me that the canbus is used for the lights. The high beam bulb is also the DRL, but operated at a lower voltage. When you turn on the headlights, the system sends full power to the bulb. Something has to control that. When replacing the halogens with LEDs, if you just swap in the bulbs the DRLs won't work right, only one lights up. Something is controlling that also. You need to install a ballast resistor and a wiring harness adapter to trick the system and make the LED headlights work. Perhaps you need additional hardware also to make the lights work.
There is a harness adapter available that might allow you to easily tap into the power feed at the headlights. Its plug and play, no cutting the wires.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Seems to me that the canbus is used for the lights. The high beam bulb is also the DRL, but operated at a lower voltage. When you turn on the headlights, the system sends full power to the bulb. Something has to control that. When replacing the halogens with LEDs, if you just swap in the bulbs the DRLs won't work right, only one lights up. Something is controlling that also. You need to install a ballast resistor and a wiring harness adapter to trick the system and make the LED headlights work. Perhaps you need additional hardware also to make the lights work.
There is a harness adapter available that might allow you to easily tap into the power feed at the headlights. Its plug and play, no cutting the wires.
I had a faulty instruction. On the instruction for my car that came with the Canm8 canbus it said I should connect on pin 6 and 14. I mailed canm8 and they said that I had connected it wrong and I should connect on pin 3 and pin 11. This did the trick. I now have a working "LED-Ramp" :)
So yes, Mazda use canbus for the light.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts