2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just got my 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback! The previous owner said (that her son said...) that it is possible to add an AUX port to the OEM stereo, mounting it inside the glove box. Is that really a possibility? Or should I just think about upgrading to a newer head unit with Bluetooth, AUX and USB ports, etc.? And is that a major undertaking that needs a car stereo expert (8-10 out of 10 difficulty) or more like a 3-5 kind of DIY project?

Thanks!

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hi, just got my 2006 Mazda 3 Hatchback! The previous owner said (that her son said...) that it is possible to add an AUX port to the OEM stereo, mounting it inside the glove box. Is that really a possibility? Or should I just think about upgrading to a newer head unit with Bluetooth, AUX and USB ports, etc.? And is that a major undertaking that needs a car stereo expert (8-10 out of 10 difficulty) or more like a 3-5 kind of DIY project?

Thanks!
not worth the time with the stock headunit.
get a Metra single din with lcd display mount
Pioneer DEH-X6900BT - Bluetooth handsfree and advanced features the stock unit doesn't have

·
Registered
270 Posts
IF you have a wire harness between the head unit and a CD player or tape deck, you can patch into that. I haven't had much success soldering connections inside car radios. Either way you need to add a switch or a way to fool it into thinking the AUX is actually the tape or CD.

It's really easier and better to replace the head unit with a bluetooth unit. Even cheap ones have hands free phone and the fancy ones have back up cameras and Carplay and stuff.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's what I thought. Is a replacement a DIY kind of thing or difficult to avoid breaking stuff and needs an expert hand?

·
theblooms
9 Posts
Depending on the exact radio, there's two ways to do it. On my original radio from 2004, I had to go with an Sylfex Auxmod. It plugs into the bottom of the radio, not the back. A bit pricey, but it works perfectly.

On a later radio, you can sometimes get away with the that just plugs into the back of the radio.

I would post links to what I'm talking about, but I'm new on this board, so it won't let me. Just google for "Sylfex Auxmod" or "Mazda Aux Harness"

·
theblooms
9 Posts
Oh man. Those things are junk. You're going to hate it, I promise.

On my 04's radio, I installed the Auxmod, then drilled a small hole in the front of the radio for the jack. Here's a picture of what I did, excuse the filth. :(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the reply. All you need is a sticker that says "AUX" and it looks like it's OEM!

Yeah, well, I'll find out on Monday (delivery day) or Tuesday if the FM transmitter Bluetooth thing works well.

I like what you did but if I'm disassembling stuff for access, I think I'll just go the full stereo replacement route with Bluetooth, AUX, USB and maybe even backup camera and screen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have an '06 as well, and if your radio has a "Media" button then you can just plug a Goliton cable in the back and you get an aux cable. I am running ours into an MPOW bluetooth adapter so I can stream Pandora and receive calls.

The older units I think have an MD/Tape button instead and those use a different interface, but for an '06 with a Media button a $10 Goliton cable should be all you need.

Here is a link to the cable: https://www.amazon.com/Goliton-3-5mm-Connect-iPhone-Player/dp/B006FFCONA

If it is your first time removing the stereo (to get around back) it will probably take about 15 minutes taking care not to break things or lose screws. I can get to mine in about 3 minutes now but I have had it out a few times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the reply. I just went outside and checked and mine has the MD/Tape button. I did buy one of the FM Bluetooth transmitters that plugs into a 12V AC jack and for now it's enough. I use it mostly for music, not phone calls. I like the OEM head unit (little things like the outside temperature on the display) and that I can use it with gloves on (it's cold where I am and while the car gets warm, the steering wheel can be cold for a long time) and that it's all very intuitive and easy to use (not like the frickin' Sony in my now-for-sale old car). If anything, at some point I may pop for a whole new stereo unit but probably not for a few months until the weather warms up. (ditto for installing the low-tone horn that I bought to add to the car).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts