2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is the deal. I've been driving my Mazda 3 for over a year and during all this time I have tried different seat positions in order to get a better line of vision of the ADD.

I know that some people uses and loves ADD, some other don't, but for those who uses ADD, what's the setup you like to use?

I personally like the information is just over the hood but I have found two cons to that setup:

1- At night, if you are behind a clear color car, the light reflection make the ADD almost useless.
2- On a hill, since the hood is long you don't have a clear view for what is just after the hill. This has happened to me a couple of times in a parking lot where the entrance has a very high angle.

This might be the way it looks from my seat position:

IMG_7288.JPG

The other setup I've tried is put the seat in a higher position so the line of vision to the information from the ADD is located beneath the edge of the hood. Something like this:

IMG_7289.JPG

At the end, this is a matter of comfort but I would like to know what are your thoughts or your experience while you were setting up your seat.

·
Registered
32 Posts
You know you can adjust the pitch of the display as opposed to your seat, right?

Mine is set just above hood level; I don't have a problem seeing it in just about any condition.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Mine is above hood level right in the middle (The same default settings in the infotainment since I purchased my car)

Personally I don't like it when ADD is positioned under the hood, is easier and more practical to see it when it is blended with the road.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Definitely position your seat first for optimal comfort and proper visibility outside the car, then position the ADD so it's still on the screen but above the steering wheel. If ambient conditions cause difficulty seeing the ADD - use your gauges for your speedometer.

I tend to default to the gauges for speed anyways because I find it easier to see at a glance - that's just my personal preference. I use the ADD for all the other relevant driver-aid info but I have the new color one and recognize that the info shown may be different. I have no experience with the original one.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Mine is "in the middle". Like others have said, i just adjust the seat the way i want it first, then the HUD is adjusted so it sits in the center of the screen, mainly so if i decide to sit more upright or get my gangsta lean going, there is room for it to still show on the glass.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Mine, I put my HUD higher than normal view so that if I encounter some bumpy road it will level on my eyes. By the way is it normal that the information on my HUD goes a bit lower when I hit some bumpy road or rough road? thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Everyone!

Really good post/comments here and thanks for the advice. I think I have followed some of the recommendations from this post in the past.

As Davidval18 said, it is easier and practical when the information is blended with the road and that's why I configured ADD with the line of vision over the hood.

And for sure, comfort and proper visibility is the goal before the ADD. Actually, it took me a while to get the best position for my feet or maybe I just got too picky

·
Registered
353 Posts
I agree with one tester's opinion (think it was Coleman) who said he'd change it out to the instrument cluster like on the Touring that doesn't have the ADD. His opinion is the thing will end up broken anyway.

I think it rather idiotic, mainly only useful when using GPS. I'd rather have an analog mph reading on the thing. Can get the digital by looking just slightly lower on the dash. Rather have the instruments like on the 6 or Miata.

We've the seat up as high as it'll go for my wife to see a tiny little bit of the hood but still at a loss where the front corners are. It makes it a tad more difficult for me to get in and out, but that seating is okay for me, too, as I'm only 5' 9 1/4".

Have the ADD adjusted slightly below the top.

Ralph

1 - 8 of 8 Posts